Police arrest contract killer after 33 year manhunt in Lopburi

contractkillet.webp

Police in Lopburi province yesterday apprehended a contract killer who escaped a 33 year prison sentence after a failed assassination attempt at a hotel.

Chief of Police Supakorn Chantabut, along with Deputy Chief Siwawong Damrongsatchasi, alongside other officers successfully arrested the 56 year old contract killer, Paisan, yesterday, August 24. The arrest took place in Chaibadan district, Lopburi province.

The case traces back to November 20, 1989, when an assailant used a firearm to shoot Somjai, a hotel manager, and her brother-in-law Sawiang at a hotel in Trat province. Both victims sustained injuries but the perpetrator managed to escape.

Initially, it was suspected that the attack stemmed from a land sale dispute, leading to the hiring of a hitman to kill Somjai. However, the assassination attempt was unsuccessful, leading to his conviction.

Paisan consistently denied the charges in all three levels of court: the trial court, the appellate court, and the Supreme Court. Despite his denials, he was convicted and sentenced to 33 years in prison. Paisan fled before he could be imprisoned, leading to a prolonged manhunt that culminated in his capture yesterday, reported KhaoSod.

The police team meticulously tracked Paisan’s movements, leading them to the remote hill where he was hiding. The arrest marks a significant accomplishment for the local police, who dedicated considerable resources and effort to resolve this decades-old case.

In other news, a 16 year old boy was shot and killed by a 14 year old in Lopburi after the younger boy became jealous over romantic attention towards his girlfriend. The incident occurred yesterday.

Police received a report at 7.05pm about a shooting at a three-way junction in Ban Nong Krathum, Maha Phot subdistrict, Sa Bot district, Lopburi province. Upon arrival, authorities discovered the body of a 16 year old boy lying on the roadside with a gunshot wound that had passed through his chest.

by Ryan Turner
Image courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-26

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Paisan fled before he could be imprisoned, leading to a prolonged manhunt that culminated in his capture yesterday, reported KhaoSod.

The police team meticulously tracked Paisan’s movements, leading them to the remote hill where he was hiding.

He will probably enjoy a roof over his head a meal everyday..

2 hours ago, mushroomdave said:

I'd be smiling too bud, being able to roam for years.

Good work to the BIB, only 33 years to get this one!!

Doesn't look like he's secured in any way.

2 hours ago, DougieMax said:

About the second story in this article (14 year old boy shoots 16 year old boy), how does a 14 year old boy get his hands on a gun?

You must be new to Thailand, they either make them, or buy them on social media, (it has been said Thailand has more illigal guns than any other country)

3 hours ago, mushroomdave said:

I'd be smiling too bud, being able to roam for years.

Good work to the BIB, only 33 years to get this one!!

No, his conviction was 33 years. It took only, almost, 35 years to capture him. 😉 

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

In other news, a 16 year old boy was shot and killed by a 14 year old in Lopburi after the younger boy became jealous over romantic attention towards his girlfriend. The incident occurred yesterday.

Men show their abilities/talents (criminal actions by jealousy) from young ages. 

58 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You must be new to Thailand, they either make them, or buy them on social media, (it has been said Thailand has more illigal guns than any other country)

Although I don't live there now (I'm in Japan), I'm not new to Thailand. I lived there for a year back in 1993 and never heard much about guns. I didn't know it has proliferated so much since then to the point that kids can get them over the internet. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

i thought statute of limitations was 20yrs?

This guy never actually killed anyone---something most posters seem to be missing--and this "Contract Killer" isn't accused of any other hits. And as he  seems to be that inept in this one he probably hasn't done any. 

Yes 20 years is the limitation---but this guy was sentenced-(for attempted)--so a sentence  stands==his mistake he should have legged it away before the trial....The people he shot must have been well connected

Google----Thailand  20 years limitation for crimes which are punishable by a maximum of 20 years imprisonment, life imprisonment, or capital punishment.

Edited by oxo1947

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, his conviction was 33 years. It took only, almost, 35 years to capture him. 😉 

Incorrect sorry.  The "incident" happened 35 yrs ago (and late in 1989). After all his appeals he fled afterwards it states.