Bangkok could be submerged in seven years warns economist

webfact

6 years ago I used to live in Tung Kru, Samuth Prakarn. The housing estate is connected to the sea by canals. The estate got flooded every year because of the water in the canal next door. By the grace of God, we managed to sell our house. My wife and I built a house a long way away from the coast.

We're all right until 2050. But what we didn't consider was when all the land shown in the map below floods, where will the flood water that comes from the North go to? We might move to Kanchanaburi eventually.

If you're interested, this map might be of interest:
https://coastal.climatecentral.org/map/9/99.6716/14.7053/?theme=sea_level_rise&map_type=coastal_dem_comparison&basemap=roadmap&contiguous=true&elevation_model=best_available&forecast_year=2050&pathway=rcp45&percentile=p50&refresh=true&return_level=return_level_1&rl_model=coast_rp&slr_model=kopp_2014

1 minute ago, renaissanc said:

6 years ago I used to live in Tung Kru, Samuth Prakarn. The housing estate is connected to the sea by canals. The estate got flooded every year because of the water in the canal next door. By the grace of God, we managed to sell our house. My wife and I built a house a long way away from the coast.

We're all right until 2050. But what we didn't consider was when all the land shown in the map below floods, where will the flood water that comes from the North go to? We might move to Kanchanaburi eventually.

If you're interested, this map might be of interest:
https://coastal.climatecentral.org/map/9/99.6716/14.7053/?theme=sea_level_rise&map_type=coastal_dem_comparison&basemap=roadmap&contiguous=true&elevation_model=best_available&forecast_year=2050&pathway=rcp45&percentile=p50&refresh=true&return_level=return_level_1&rl_model=coast_rp&slr_model=kopp_2014

What about Suvanabhum 

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

there has been talk of this since at least when I was here in the mic 70's.  then they were discussing the pros and  cos of a possible move to the ancient capital of Ayuttaya but in the past decades, that area floods every year too and I have seen them talking about some closer provinces.  Best to get with those plans quickly.

Ayutthaya is disgustingly Hot , Mosquitoes , Rain,  flooding etc , not really a decent restaurant in the whole area ,one of my gfs lives there , lots of Japanese And Japanese companies 

• Confused 1

How many times will it take for climate cult to be laughed out of every room in the world? How many times do these prediction have to fail before idiots see the lie? Over 30 prediction and not one has come true! The elites screaming the loudest all have beach front properties worth millions. Just ask yourself one question: can you get a 30 year mortgage in Bangkok, London, or beach fronts around the world? Wake up for god sake!!!

• Love It 1

Bangkok could be submerged in seven years

TAT is working on a new marketing campaign "Venice of the East", taxi drivers will be retrained to operate gondolas (still no chance of getting them to operate their meters though) and the horizontal entertainment operatives from Sukhumvit Road and Soi 4 will move to the Nana BTS platforms.  Business as usual! 

3 hours ago, retarius said:

They have been talking about this for decades, a move to Khao Yai.....they probably had committees and sub-committees studying it, but, as is commonly the case in Thailand, so action has been taken

I am not sure if I rememver correctly,several years ago didn't the late King take a lot of time drawing plans for water management/flood relief in BKK? I recall a TV programme where the King presented his ideas but as you comment, no gov. action was taken. He was a man for the people a stark contrast to the gov.

20 minutes ago, parallelman said:

I am not sure if I rememver correctly,several years ago didn't the late King take a lot of time drawing plans for water management/flood relief in BKK? I recall a TV programme where the King presented his ideas but as you comment, no gov. action was taken. He was a man for the people a stark contrast to the gov.

He owned I think  6,000

or 3,000 hectares in downtown Bangkok , it would be in his Nest  Interests to find a solution that’s massive rent revenues 

Looks like after even Thailand (as one of the last countries in the world) starts to come to terms with the Plandemic, the paid doomsayers have to find new fields where they can spread their hysteria and mass panic.

Certainly clever and wise to find means to protect Bangkok from flooding and water damage, but how about keeping it real and rational. Panic and anxiety-driven measures usually don't help to make good decisions.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

An economist predicting sea levels!?!

I guess i may have a chance of being a brain surgeon in Thailand

Well I suppose that if things worsen , it does concern the economy. Once things start looking iffy , property prices will go down , no buyers, how would it affect the airport , exports in general , etc etc.  And where would you move a capital city the size of Bangkok ?? 
Thailand is falling apart, landslides all over Phuket , the North polluted and unlivable, tunnels collapsing  and that’s only  in a few days.   Impossible to  stop in a few years, this takes expert planning many years in advance as Jakarta. 
Disaster man made.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

Why not more the Capital to a higher area ?

ThIs is not new someone brings it up usually in October.

There has been a study done moving the government in land.

They have also built walls 

What they need to do is dredge the canals

However an economist I am sure is smarter than the engineers that have been working on this for decades

3 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

If Bangkok is submerged by the sea, then every island in Thailand would have also been at least partially submerged by then as well. 

The Greenpeace report this is based on is fortunately complete nonsense, it would take 100 yrs minimum for levels to rise that much

Garbage. Bangkok is sinking approx 3cm per year and currently the average height above sea level is around 5 feet.

Irrespective of any change in sea levels, Bangkok could be at sea level within 50 years, without any island ever being affected.

1 hour ago, renaissanc said:

That will be flooded easily because it is on low floodable land. Thaksin knew this back then.

The airport is quite higher than Bangkok, if that gets flooded Bangkok will be well on the way to becoming the Venice of Asia.

Years ago the Dutch King  at that time still the crown prince offered help to prevent this, but his help was denied by Thailand as they had good engineers to solve the problem.. But as usual in Thailand nobody will do anything untill it is too late, as we all see. in school last minute meetings, sportsdays, and other activities as an example and many more in daily life .. nothing seems to be planned... Indonesia is already several years  building a new capital. 

6 hours ago, JoePai said:

Why not more the Capital to a higher area ?

It was proposed twice by past elected governments but was upended by post coup governments. Thaksin government did a study for a possible move to Nakhon Nayok, about 100 km NE of Bangkok. 

5 hours ago, brianbiegler said:

Lol an Economist. I'll take my chances. 

Tell me, did the economist get in touch with the board of directors of any large lending institutions who underwrite loans collateralized by property on coasts? I've noticed over the course of my lifetime that building large properties in coastal areas is kinda popular. 🤷‍♂️

Politicians don't listen to scientists, maybe an economist has a better shot at being heard.

You might also notice insurance companies are hiking premiums in areas that are vulnerable to climate change. Coast or bush, it's all the same to them.

They don't get to live in huge skyscrapers by placing their risk bets on the wrong side of the ledger.

Those large lending corporations are going to be sh!tting themselves, when the properties they have loaned money on can no longer be insured.