Not much left of Thai trivial related topics

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

No more photos from travelling or travelling threads, and no more construction threads, and this is something I personally missing here. 

But most of the active members is more busy complaining and discussion politics, taxes and wars,  so I guess no more time to be positive about anything. 

The forum needs more positivity. 

Maybe start more threads

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The problem with starting threads is naysayers and trolls inundate it within minutes.

I'd say quite a few posters have stopped participating for that reason.

come on don't be offended so easy, post regardless 

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

No more photos from travelling or travelling threads, and no more construction threads, and this is something I personally missing here. 

But most of the active members is more busy complaining and discussion politics, taxes and wars,  so I guess no more time to be positive about anything. 

Could you give us some examples? 

Been reading this forum for 20 years. Used to be vibrant and full of guys optimistically planning their future lives in Thailand and other guys living their best life in Thailand. Great exchange rates didn't hurt.

Now, it's only habit that keeps me looking in. 

Anybody know if this was the decline of forums in general or just this one in particular? 

With too much advertisement and too much AI "enhanced" news, and too many posters who "think" quantity is more important than quality, most of the fun is gone.

Then there are the anonymized emojis. And the very strict moderation policy in the last years, now more moderate again, didn't help.

• Agree 2

I must say that I like the stream options. Just noticed it and figured out how to exclude the quizzes. There's a way to look only for certain authors, but I haven't found a way to exclude certain ones. Too bad.

On 8/28/2024 at 3:50 PM, Hummin said:

In another thread you say

"If a society going to succeed, and make most people pull in the same direction for everyones best, there need to be some kind of contralled stream of officially facts and news."

The result of what you propose  is the very thing you are complaining about here...when people are censored/controlled, most eventually just stop posting anything at all

that is why free speech is vitally important for a healthy society be it online or in the "real world"

(a few freethinkers will continue no matter what as that is the only way to break the cycle/spell)...

1 hour ago, sidjameson said:

Anybody know if this was the decline of forums in general or just this one in particular? 

I think forums in general,  the moderation policy probably didn't help much,now its all Fakebook,X/twitter and the abominable TikTok.

None of which I use...

the bestest IMHO was USENET /soc.culture.thai  that was some  crazy stuff back  in the "good olde days"

now unfortunately  just full of SPAM like most of USENET.

3 minutes ago, johng said:

I think forums in general,  the moderation policy probably didn't help much,now its all Fakebook,X/twitter and the abominable TikTok.

None of which I use...

the bestest IMHO was USENET /soc.culture.thai  that was some  crazy stuff back  in the "good olde days"

Interesting that facebook groups etc have very light touch moderation, works fine

Edited by scubascuba3

1 hour ago, johng said:

In another thread you say

"If a society going to succeed, and make most people pull in the same direction for everyones best, there need to be some kind of contralled stream of officially facts and news."

The result of what you propose  is the very thing you are complaining about here...when people are censored/controlled, most eventually just stop posting anything at all

that is why free speech is vitally important for a healthy society be it online or in the "real world"

(a few freethinkers will continue no matter what as that is the only way to break the cycle/spell)...

Just checking, how many sexes is it, and how many sexes should we allow? I agree everyone should be allowed to say they feel like non binery, or what ever thay want to be in their mind, but nobody can force me to accept it, or? 

There is so many things thats going wrong in our society, and people are confused because lack of guidelines. There is a crossig point in both ends. Im sure most agree. But how to balance between total freedom or totalitarian censorship is a hard task without high standards and high moral.

We are being used by one side or the other who do their best to destroy each other by stupidity people buys in to.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

We are being used by one side or the other who do their best to destroy each other by stupidity people buys in to.

I agree with you on this point.   That's why more speech is better than less speech  the more discussion that takes place the more people realise that they have more in common with each other than they have differences

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Just checking, how many sexes is it,

Just the 2 that matter  of course anyone can say they are a multitude of  they,their,them's, he,she,it depending on the phase of the moon.. freedom of speech allows that, it should also allow others to disagree.

12 hours ago, johng said:

None of which I use...

I used that the last time in 199x or about that time before WWW became popular. Does it still exist?

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Interesting that facebook groups etc have very light touch moderation, works fine

Maybe one day I will try them.

Personally I never joined fb because I don't want to share my life with the world out there. I don't even want to share it with online "friends". 

Using the groups might be interesting, I guess I don't have to upload pictures of my food and coffee every day to join the groups.

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2024 at 3:50 PM, Hummin said:

I am becoming more and more disenchanted with a page that is 80% obnoxious pop up ads.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Been reading this forum for 20 years. Used to be vibrant and full of guys optimistically planning their future lives in Thailand and other guys living their best life in Thailand. Great exchange rates didn't hurt.

Now, it's only habit that keeps me looking in. 

I follow this forum, Facebook, and Instagram. All three are becoming more bother than it's worth with a huge bombardment of annoying ads I care nothing about.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I read on another thread that the most popular posters who won the best posters of the year, including a handicapped man and a Thai woman were banned.

Which would be like banning all your best players of a football team. 
lt won’t be a good result

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I used that the last time in 199x or about that time before WWW became popular. Does it still exist?

Yes USENET still exists  except now you'll probably have to pay for a connection to a decent server with good retention,propagation and speed...used to be the case that ISP's would include USENET  in the service

At least they did in the UK   Pipex,Demon and even British Telecom offered bundled USENET.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I never joined fb because I don't want to share my life with the world out there

You don't need to, i post nothing. Only narcissists post about themselves

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

I read on another thread that the most popular posters who won the best posters of the year, including a handicapped man and a Thai woman were banned.

Which would be like banning all your best players of a football team. 
lt won’t be a good result

Certainly not a badge of honour to be a POTY, no loss those going, but another Pattaya forum most interesting people left because of the heavy handed power hungry mods