Outrage in Laos as wealthy 17 year old driver kills Thai man

2 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

How do families in places like Laos get so rich anyway?

Own land with mines on them? Sell land to Chinese railway developers? Sell people and organs to China?

Pound to penny drugs will be in the mix.

6 hours ago, Chris Renaix said:

A 17 year old in a Ferrari??  Obviously no driver's license, no driving experience, no clue whatsoever.  What could go wrong, right?

Driving age in the US is 16, UK is 17, Japan, 17.... Just saying...

9 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

No, the worst they can do is not to bring them up but to spoil them, giving them no values.

This is a case of knowing the price of everything, and the value of nothing.

The offender has probably been brought up in a bubble of self entitlement.

Yeah, kids born in very rich families are often messed up

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

If ever a country that wealthy dictate and the disparity between rich and poor is so obvious, it's PDR Lao.

Laos has a slightly lower, i.e. better, Gini Coefficient than the USA so maybe go to the States instead if you want to see inequality?

Edited by Mark1066
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2024 at 9:53 PM, Lorry said:

Her "punishment" was a couple of weeks community work. 

But she didn't even do that.

Yes, she did, it was completed in 2016.  Her punishment was actually a four year suspended jail sentence, a driving ban and community service.

On 8/28/2024 at 5:23 PM, CHdiver said:

As a father you should know what to do if no justice is served. I guess Thailand would not extradict one of her own citicen. 

You guess wrong, Thailand has extradition treaties with many countries.  But you may be right when you say that Thailand wouldn't "extradict its own citicen" [sic]...whatever that means.

10 hours ago, Millcx said:

Looks like another Red Bull style  kid getting away with Murder with no consequences

The "Red Bull" man (there is no "kid" involved) did not murder anyone, he was involved in a traffic accident causing death.

10 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

thai authorities are doing nothing to get the red buffalo guy extradited back to thailand... so that tells you a lot about the judiciary here...

That's not accurate, an Interpol red notice requesting his detention was issued to the 197 member forces of Interpol.  Extradition compliance is up to the country from where extradition is requested and Thai authorities have to provide an exact valid address for the person they want extraditing as a starting point.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, she did, it was completed in 2016.  Her punishment was actually a four year suspended jail sentence, a driving ban and community service.

I wasn't there,  so I only know what the media reported. 

But I am sure you were there and know better. 

Driving ban is very funny,  she was here on holiday,  studying in LA. I don't think anybody in the US would care about a Thai driving ban

45 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You guess wrong, Thailand has extradition treaties with many countries.  But you may be right when you say that Thailand wouldn't "extradict its own citicen" [sic]...whatever that means.

Didn't Thailand extradite a Thai driver to the US recently? (I am not sure)

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The "Red Bull" man (there is no "kid" involved) did not murder anyone, he was involved in a traffic accident causing death.

In my partner's country,  the Red Bull guy would have been charged with murder. He might have received a life sentence (there is no death penalty).

(The reasoning of prosecutors and judges goes like this: 

If you drive the way you did, you accept with approval that innocent people will die. This counts as intent to kill. You kill them indidiously, for base motives. So it's not just manslaughter, it's murder)

People have received life sentences,  and the verdicts have been confirmed by the highest courts, including the Constitutional Court.

13 hours ago, Lorry said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In my partner's country,  the Red Bull guy would have been charged with murder.

So what...this isn't "your partner's country"?