Documentation required for a foreigner to buy a motorbike in Thailand

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, farang51 said:

You also need a certificate of residence.

Which is also what is needed to get a driver's license. So I guess that they make you get it again even though it was necessary to get the driver's license?

Edited by placeholder
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Which is also what is needed to get a driver's license. So I guess that they make you get it again even though it was necessary to get the driver's license?

You don't need any documentation to buy a motorcycle.

Just money.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Yes.

I do not know if papa al is right about only needing money, but I needed the certificate of recidence when I bought one in Bangkok 6 years ago and again when I tried to buy one in Phuket last year.

• Like 1

A CoF is not required to buy a vehicle, it’s required to register the vehicle in your name. I’ve personally bought vehicles without a CoF.

9 hours ago, papa al said:

Just money.

…is absolutely correct.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, papa al said:

Just money.

if you want the greenbook to be transfered in to your name, you need documentation 😉

Edited by Hummin
  • Agree 1

When I bought a new bike from a dealer (with cash), they told me to wait until I had a new visa. There was less than one month of my one year visa left.

As I started to walk away, they changed their mind and accepted the existing visa.

I did show them my Thai DL and POR (work permit)

I have also bought second hand bikes for cash. Sometimes they do not have a book, but I have never provided documents.

Edited by Tropicalevo

2 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

When I bought a new bike from a dealer (with cash), they told me to wait until I had a new visa. There was less than one month of my one year visa left.

As I started to walk away, they changed their mind and accepted the existing visa.

I have also bought second hand bikes for cash. Sometimes they do not have a book, but I have never provided documents.

Have nothing to do with your visa when buying a vehiricle in Thailand. You just need a legal stay. I went back home after buying a new motorcycle for work, and came back it was ready to pick up, and I was on visa exemption. 

I brought one bike, I had to tell the girl what she needed, it was just a copy of my passport and my visa/extension.

Have now brought 3 new bikes and one second hand, never need a certificate of residence, just the above.

Only need money to buy a bike, but if want to register it to your name, then need a certificate of residence, or any other document for proof of address ... 

Also the shop checks the visa expiry (any kind is okay) for new bike registration and see if it's valid by the time they go to the office. As they are lazy and don't want to pay taxes and do the paperwork quickly, if it expires early they might ask you to renew it...! 

Edited by Agusts
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 11:21 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Yes, a certificate of residence is needed. I've always needed it when buying cars or MC's. Funny though a license isn't required.

Sales would fall if they demanded a license to be shown.

• Thumbs Up 1