SETV & METV still around now that visa exempts are now 60 days?

Haven't been keeping up to date with the recent visas on offer but am seeing there has been some changes in the last 6 months.

Are SETV & METV still around now that visa exempts are now 60 days? Wouldn't make much sense for them to still offer SETV & METV.

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Haven't been keeping up to date with the recent visas on offer but am seeing there has been some changes in the last 6 months.

Are SETV & METV still around now that visa exempts are now 60 days? Wouldn't make much sense for them to still offer SETV & METV.

They made the process and requirements so tortuous that nobody will bother with that BS now.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, mokwit said:

They made the process and requirements so tortuous that nobody will bother with that BS now.

Not so sure METV fits that description.

Still a good option for folk applying in pp country and can stay in Thailand up to 9 months.

SETV pretty much redundant now.

How long visa exempt will be 60 days is anyone's guess

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

SETV is a complete waste of money as only gives you 60 day entry same as visa exempt.

As for METV, it's expensive (eg. A$300 or 6900 baht) and while it may give you almost 9 months with 3 entries + extensions, you can now do the same 9 months on 3 free visa exempt entries + extensions

(Like any entry, subject to IO discretion after looking at previous history)

6 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

.....you can now do the same 9 months on 3 free visa exempt entries + extensions

Perhaps.

If the visa exempt entries were via air and short ish time spent out of Thailand thinking possible issue with immigration..

Also time will tell how long 60 day visa exempt will continue. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

SETV is a complete waste of money as only gives you 60 day entry same as visa exempt.

As for METV, it's expensive (eg. A$300 or 6900 baht) and while it may give you almost 9 months with 3 entries + extensions, you can now do the same 9 months on 3 free visa exempt entries + extensions

(Like any entry, subject to IO discretion after looking at previous history)

Are there any limits on how many 60 day visa exempts you are allowed to do per calendar year via air and via land? Previously it used to be 2 times for land and unlimited via air for 30 day visa exempts but possible questioning if doing many of them via air.

Edited by bbi1

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Are there any limits on how many 60 day visa exempts you are allowed to do per year via air and via land? Previously it used to be 2 times for land and unlimited via air but possible questioning if doing many via air.

They just removed the 2 time limit for land borders so it's now no limit for land or air (subject to IO)

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Are there any limits on how many 60 day visa exempts you are allowed to do per calendar year via air and via land? Previously it used to be 2 times for land and unlimited via air for 30 day visa exempts but possible questioning if doing many of them via air.

No hard-limit on either, any more - but you may need to use Immigration's "agent service," to pay tribute / keep them happy, if doing this repeatedly.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Rob Browder said:

No hard-limit on either, any more - but you may need to use Immigration's "agent service," to pay tribute / keep them happy, if doing this repeatedly.

You have posted similar previously.

Perhaps post link to agents that provide "meet and greet" assistance for visa exempt entries via air..

Not interested in land border run companies services. 

5 minutes ago, john donson said:

are most here not on a yearly extension...

Did you read the OP.

It was questioning visa v visa exempt entry.

Folk on annual extensions would be foolish to read into alternative 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Perhaps post link to agents that provide "meet and greet" assistance for visa exempt entries via air..

Thai Visa Centre offers at BKK and HKT

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BrandonJT said:

Thai Visa Centre offers at BKK and HKT

Fine. Folk such as yourself can assist forum with arrangements and cost.

Rather than just naming most well known agent in Bangkok.

@ThaiVisaCentre can you advise.

I recently gave detailed costing for annual extensions at Maneerat agent Pattaya. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Johno57 said:

What is best way for me and my thai wife to enter thailand to visit her family for 5 months only in June next year..what is visa you leave &return every 3 months??

You could obtain a non O based on marriage from Thai embassies/consulate or eVisa if available+ 60 day extension to visit wife. 

That option would avoid need to exit Thailand. 

Also enter visa exempt (60 days) + 30 day extension + 60 day extension to visit wife. 

Border bounce also an option 

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't use the service - just going by posts here.  Which one were you referring to below? 
... Though I recall another report from a Russian who reported more like 3K, which he found out about via a border-run agent / company.

The header of this thread (or at least the SETV bit) should be having everyone scratching their heads as in yes something not quite right here

The reality will bite soon

Dr Jack makes the point (I think twice in thread ) in that will the 60 day visa exempt entry actually remain.......in my opinion its absolutely here to stay

What isnt is this supposed unlimited entries by land and air (at the discretion of IO) entry via Visa Exempt

Whereby we come back to why the SETV  very much still exists. Is the penny dropping.... It really should be

People need to read their own Thai Embassy website in their own Country......or are they all wrong as regards new rules from July 15th

• Confused 1

On 8/31/2024 at 1:34 AM, bbi1 said:

There are 93 countries whose citizens are eligible fro 60 day VE.

That leaves plenty of countries whose citizens are not eligible for 60 day VE.

The only African countries eligible are Mauritius, Morocco and South Africa.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Enoon said:

There are 93 countries whose citizens are eligible fro 60 day VE.

That leaves plenty of countries whose citizens are not eligible for 60 day VE.

The only African countries eligible are Mauritius, Morocco and South Africa.

That's a great point. As I'm from one of the 93 VE countries I didn't see why SETV or METV were still needed, but for the 100 countries not on the VE list it makes perfect sense for them to stay around as a legitimate visa option

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

As I'm from one of the 93 VE countries I didn't see why SETV or METV were still needed,

You bang on same tune.

The visa exempt 60 day will be temporary. 

In 6+  months time will tell.

Anyone planing trip to Thailand I say 2025 would be poorly advised to rely on 60 day visa exempt.

Not a big deal. Alternatives available. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You bang on same tune.

Anyone planing trip to Thailand I say 2025 would be poorly advised to rely on 60 day visa exempt.

Can you please stop stating your opinion as fact. You bang on about how the 60 day visa exempt is only temporary and yet you have no source or basis for continuing to state it. 

As far as I can tell you are the only person continuously posting the 60 day visa exempt is only temporary. Maybe that means you are wrong...

Regardless, the current rules are 60 days visa exempt, why you would recommend someone to ignore that and get a METV instead is ridiculous

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Agree 1

On 9/1/2024 at 6:12 AM, Johno57 said:

.what is visa you leave &return every 3 months??

You're thinking of the Non Imm O multiple entry visa, which is no longer available using the e-visa online application site.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 9:18 PM, DrJack54 said:

You bang on same tune.

Something tells me, this may well be the case.