Do you know (Americans SS) to change ?

I'm on SS benefits and I have an US bank account than my monthly payments direct deposit to that account. 
My question is how can I change the US bank to a Thai bank direct deposit, but not through Bangkok bank New York. I just want it to be direct deposit to my existing bkkb saving account. I have no access to my SS online account at this moment (waiting for code, but received it at my address after more than 2 months 🤔and the code was already expired) . 
Can I do this through SS Philippines ? Without opening a new account for this purpose ? 

• Confused 5

20 hours ago, OneManShow said:

I'm on SS benefits and I have an US bank account than my monthly payments direct deposit to that account. 
My question is how can I change the US bank to a Thai bank direct deposit, but not through Bangkok bank New York. I just want it to be direct deposit to my existing bkkb saving account. I have no access to my SS online account at this moment (waiting for code, but received it at my address after more than 2 months 🤔and the code was already expired) . 
Can I do this through SS Philippines ? Without opening a new account for this purpose ? 

The account that goes through NY is called an ACH account, what you are asking for is an IDD account, which can be done with almost any Thai bank, can't remember the form number to do this. Just email the SS office in the PI and they will be able to help you

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I do it the simple way.  I use my US BANK MC DEBIT to make deposits into my Thai bank account, ONE trip to the bank, make deposit from US card, withdraw THB at Thai bank  ATM.

On 30,000THB, my TOTAL CHARGES from US Bank last week was $3.12, exchange included ( based on XE exchange rate )

• Like 1

Open a TH bank account, I use BBL (BkkBank).  They give you as slip of paper with routing # to your account.   Contact SS via Manila and provide info.  It's that simple.

• Like 2

My Thai bank TELLER swipes my US Card, I sign 2 slips of paper, check my bankbook for correct deposit as I head to ATM, withdraw THB at ATM as I leave bank. ONE trip, one place, done in about 5 minutes. Total cost of transactiom of a 30,000bt transfer last week, $3.12  ( usually 3 to 5 mins wait time for teller not included )

Edited by edwardflory

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Open a TH bank account, I use BBL (BkkBank).  They give you as slip of paper with routing # to your account.   Contact SS via Manila and provide info.  It's that simple.

When I set it up, I needed to take a form provided by Manilla into Bangkok Bank, and the bank had to fill in a section at the bottom (with routing and account numbers) and sign the form. Returned to Manilla, time passed, change complete. I do not think you can just call up Manilla and tell them the details. They need a properly signed document requesting the change.

But... it is simple just as @KhunLA suggests.

Edited by timendres
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, edwardflory said:

I use my US BANK MC DEBIT to make deposits into my Thai bank account, ONE trip to the bank, make deposit from US card,

Sounds great. I do have a US MC Debit, but I have never done it and I don't know how it works.🤔

You cannot use Bangkok Bank New York. It is a commercial only bank and is US chartered. Transferring money from there would be the same as Citibank. Tell SSA your new routing information and they will make the change.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

You cannot use Bangkok Bank New York. It is a commercial only bank and is US chartered. Transferring money from there would be the same as Citibank. Tell SSA your new routing information and they will make the change.

My Social Security comes through Bangkok Bank New York. Not true about using Bangkok Bank, any financial institution that has ACH capabilities can route through BKK NY. Appparently not a lot have this ability in the US.

6 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, flexomike said:

My Social Security comes through Bangkok Bank New York. Not true about using Bangkok Bank, any financial institution that has ACH capabilities can route through BKK NY. Appparently not a lot have this ability in the US.

SWIFT might route funds that way but you cannot have dual accounts in NY and BKK. Nor are the two banks linked other than by name.

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

SWIFT might route funds that way but you cannot have dual accounts in NY and BKK. Nor are the two banks linked other than by name.

The NY Bank is for commerial accounts only, my SS has been routed through them for the last eight plus years. I use  to transfer by Swift from my US bank to NY which than got routed to Thailand. They changed the banking regulations for the New York bank three four years ago. You can still route money through the NY bank but only if your financial institution has ACH capabilities and most don't.

6 minutes ago, flexomike said:

The NY Bank is for commerial accounts only, my SS has been routed through them for the last eight plus years. I use  to transfer by Swift from my US bank to NY which than got routed to Thailand. They changed the banking regulations for the New York bank three four years ago. You can still route money through the NY bank but only if your financial institution has ACH capabilities and most don't.

SWIFT can route the money any way they like but you have no say in it.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I don't know what you are talking about, you give the NY routing number and your bank account number too your financial institution and if they have ACH capabilities they can route it through the NY office to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand. I get swift transfer from my bank which cannot do ACH transfers. As far as I know the info I give them sends the money str

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you have a U.S. bank account, you can conveniently transfer funds to a recipient's bank account at Bangkok Bank in Thailand via the internet by completing the steps described below for an international ACH transaction (IAT). International ACH payments are processed in accordance with operating rules and formats developed by the Electronic Payments Association (NACHA).

The IAT is a special code (a Standard Entry Class or “SEC” Code) for ACH payments that enables financial institutions such as Bangkok Bank to identify and monitor international ACH payments and to perform screening to ensure compliance with Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC, U.S. Department of the Treasury) requirements.  The NACHA  rules require Bangkok Bank’s New York Branch which serves as intermediary, to ensure that payments that are transmitted to account of beneficiary in other country are appropriately classified as IATs and contain information as described below.

Bangkok Bank, New York Branch, is required to receive the ACH transactions in the required IAT format.  This means that we must require that senders who wish to transmit funds to recipients at Bangkok Bank in Thailand to provide certain identifying information.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

In order to do the transfer, you would need a Bangkok Bank New York account that you can't get.

3 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

In order to do the transfer, you would need a Bangkok Bank New York account that you can't get.

Instructions

To initiate a such an international transaction , using internet banking when you log on to your bank in U.S. website, please select the International ACH and provide the following information to your bank:

1. Your name and physical address in Thailand
  2. Your bank account number and the name and address of your Bangkok Bank Branch in Thailand
  3. The 9-digit routing number 026008691 of Bangkok Bank New York Branch, which acts as intermediary in the
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, flexomike said:

Instructions

To initiate a such an international transaction , using internet banking when you log on to your bank in U.S. website, please select the International ACH and provide the following information to your bank:

1. Your name and physical address in Thailand
  2. Your bank account number and the name and address of your Bangkok Bank Branch in Thailand
  3. The 9-digit routing number 026008691 of Bangkok Bank New York Branch, which acts as intermediary in the

And you still do not have the account in New York. Stop being obtuse.

6 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I already stated in an earlier post that the NY Branch is for commercial accounts only. But if your bank can do ACH transfers and you have a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand it can be done.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I don't know what you are talking about, you give the NY routing number and your bank account number too your financial institution and if they have ACH capabilities they can route it through the NY office to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand. I get swift transfer from my bank which cannot do ACH transfers. As far as I know the info I give them sends the money str

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, flexomike said:

It was possible to deposit ACH via bkkb New York into a bank account in Thailand few years ago, not anymore, but only:

"Receive payments from US government agencies or private organizations (Direct Deposit service)."

Edited by OneManShow

Swift wire transfers are direct bank to bank with no middle man banks involved. They come with the correct international bank code so for imm purposes its perfect. 

Edited by Dan O
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Swift wire transfers are direct bank to bank with no middle man banks involved. They come with the correct international bank code so for imm purposes its perfect. 

Theoretically but not really. The foreign transfers to Thailand all bounce through K bank to be recorded and sorted but only for a few seconds. Regardless, manually forcing the system will not make it more effective or avoid taxes.