Thai Department Warns Tourists Against Buying Fake Driving Licences

6 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Maybe have a word with somebody in the dept to stop issuing the fake ones, or are they genuine fake ones? 

These are not 'fake' DL's but real - it's the way they are (maybe) obtained which is questionable 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

According to the Land Transport Department, the Chinese tourist in question did, in fact, apply for her licence at the Chiang Mai Provincial Land Transport Office following legal procedures and regulations.

The legal procedure is taking the physical driving test, unless she has a Chinese License

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

She has filed a police complaint against the owner of the Facebook page, asserting that she legally obtained her licence and did not use an agent.

So is this is a Fake Story.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Officials strongly advise caution to tourists, warning that online offers to facilitate quick and easy licences are fraudulent. Such illegal websites often misuse the Land Transport Department’s logo to seem legitimate.

So tourists are supposed to be able to tell the difference?

• Sad 1

How difficult is it for the OFFICIALS to arrest these scammers on Facebook?
They even give their Bank account number.
The DL department should get their act together and start to go after these scammers instead of warning tourists.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, LudwigK said:

ONLY ONE example

There are similar examples all over facebook...

...  loads of adds about this - its a lot more than one example and this has been going on for years. 

This is not the first warning issued by authorities.

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The scammers use 'proxy' accounts that are not linked to them... 

i.e. the buy an 'bank account' off a local Moto-taxi guy for 500 baht / 1000 baht etc... then use that to receive money into their scam. 

The issue of course, is that the person who sold his account claims no knowledge, they're just a poor...  they can't really be charged - this then enables the scammers to continue obtaining 'proxy' accounts.

This is the 'base' for all such scams - no scammers use their real bank accounts. 

Its also an major issue with Thai ID fraud. 

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The DL department should get their act together and start to go after these scammers instead of warning tourists.

100% agree - If authorities could target loads of the scammers it would clean up the country a lot. 

But, its a lot of effort and one thing the Thai BiB are not known for, is their effort.

4 hours ago, JoePai said:

These are not 'fake' DL's but real - it's the way they are (maybe) obtained which is questionable 

Does it really matter? If you are stopped. The license is never looked at closely. Tickets are rarely issued because the men in brown seek cash. So what difference does it make if you have a fake one or a real one. Only if you are in an accident where you can not flee will you ever be found out. 

I have not once seen a policeman at a checkpoint run a drivers license in a computer database to check if it is valid. I do not even think they have the means to check this nationwide. 

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

The Chiang Mai group web site is flooded by a user who uses multiple user names to spam the heck out of the site advertising getting a license without taking a test.

Screenshot here without identifying stuff.  If the RTP was really interested in investigating the scam is easy to find.  But?  TIT.

Screenshotfrom2024-09-0214-23-02.png.3eb7fbb1a7d06c6a30379ce2e1c4ea14.png

Tourist know it's a scam.  If you saw a ad like this in the US the cops would be all over it, and you'd know it's a scam right away.   So a tourist comes here and says, "Oh boy - I can get a DL without taking tests.  I'm sure that all legal.  It says it's legal so it must be.  🤞"  Yeah right!  Can you get a DL in your home country without taking a test.  Nope.

2 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

As if a genuine  license means a heigh level of competences in Thailand. 

carry on with the fakes, it's all just normal here.

TIT. :coffee1:

Your average village Thais don't even bother.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Does it really matter? If you are stopped. The license is never looked at closely. Tickets are rarely issued because the men in brown seek cash. So what difference does it make if you have a fake one or a real one. Only if you are in an accident where you can not flee will you ever be found out. 

I have not once seen a policeman at a checkpoint run a drivers license in a computer database to check if it is valid. I do not even think they have the means to check this nationwide. 

It does not matter how you 'obtained' the DL as long as it is in fact genuine BUT it does matter if the DL is only a copy/fake as in an accident your insurance policy would be invalidated 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

Your average village Thais don't even bother.

That's not true in my experience, all my wife's family and friends have licenses and are average village Thai.

Some don't bother I'm sure, but it's the minority. 

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% agree - If authorities could target loads of the scammers it would clean up the country a lot. 

But, its a lot of effort and one thing the Thai BiB are not known for, is their effort.

Because it is a lot of effort is no excuse to let the scammers continue their filthy thing and put the blame on the tourists.
And don't forget that a lot of Thai people are falling in this scam as well.

3 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

The Chiang Mai group web site is flooded by a user who uses multiple user names to spam the heck out of the site advertising getting a license without taking a test.

Screenshot here without identifying stuff.  If the RTP was really interested in investigating the scam is easy to find.  But?  TIT.

Screenshotfrom2024-09-0214-23-02.png.3eb7fbb1a7d06c6a30379ce2e1c4ea14.png

Tourist know it's a scam.  If you saw a ad like this in the US the cops would be all over it, and you'd know it's a scam right away.   So a tourist comes here and says, "Oh boy - I can get a DL without taking tests.  I'm sure that all legal.  It says it's legal so it must be.  🤞"  Yeah right!  Can you get a DL in your home country without taking a test.  Nope.

In most countries this would be taken care by the government.
But in Thailand, where they are to lousy (Richard Smith) this is a completely legal thing.
TIT