Second-hand tsunami: Used car flood drives Thai sellers to despair

Definitely a buyer's market for vehicles now.  Been that way for the past 4 years, since covid and economic turn down.   Then along comes cheaper & better BEVs hitting the market with their own little price war.

Been peeking locally on FB Marketplace, as I do, and locally, so many bargains on vehicles, and some really low prices on the ICEVs listed.   Maybe jumping ship to a new BEV before the market completely collapses in 2nd hand ICEV sales.

Quite a few seem to be ready to upgrade their BEVs also, as surprising numbers of 2022/2023s models on sale.

Great time to be in the market for a new car.  Not so good if selling an old one.  Oh well, sh!t happens :coffee1:

• Confused 3

58 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

But have you ever seen that logic in Thailand?

I just went looking for a second hand Navara. The top model cost 1.175.000 Bht NEW

image.png.c386cd906c7110e31b96bd80fa306834.png

2 year old models from that model are sold at the same price by Nissan. What you expect?

https://www.nic-usedcars.nissan.co.th/en/home

image.png.f84d83a941d6300742a1e5edd10e65ba.png

Just go for the lowest KM would be my advise, 

The economy here is in very rough shape. Alot of people are pulling back and spending less. 

Thailand might have been the tiger of SE Asia a decade or so ago, having been the 22nd largest economy in the world, but those days are long gone. So, I would say it would be safe to refer to Thailand as an up and coming country, these days. Assuming they can get it together, and put things back on track, which I seriously doubt will happen, I would not be surprised to see Thailand in 75th place in terms of GDP, 20 years from now. There is absolutely no doubt the nation is moving backwards, on at least a dozen levels. And unless a dynamic leader like Thanathorn or Pita is allowed to head the nation,  the great tiger will continue to devolve into a whiny little street cat. 

The people need to take action and rid themselves of the goons. ASAP. Whatever it takes. The economy is in the toilet. No hope in sight. And no plan of action from the retrograde brigade. They are in so far over their heads. If only they would man up and admit it. And with the heinous CCP subsidies, it is harder for Thai industry to compete. 

Kasikornbank is correct. These goons have succeeded in sabotaging the nation on a dozen levels. They have turned the roaring tiger of SE Asia into a whiny, anemic, weak, broke, frail, infirm, paranoid, timid, fragile, rabid, sickly, alley cat type creature. A once important and vital industry reduced to ashes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

No surprises there, many people bought cars they can't really afford.

Indeed, and they always have. The mantra being here: If you can afford a bicycle, buy a motorbike, if you can afford a motorbike, buy a car! 

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Maybe jumping ship to a new BEV before the market completely collapses in 2nd hand ICEV sales.

Unless the market for 2nd hand EV’s collapses - after the end of your battery warrant who wants a car that is worthless if the battery cost more to replace the value if a car ??? 

… of course, that’s loaded with assumption, just as your bias is towards the collapse of a 2nd hand ICE market. 

Also - is there a growing shift towards hydrogen fuel cell & biofuels ? 

There are huge environmental issues potentially facing us with the handling of expired car batteries & millions of tonnes of solar cells that are no longer efficient &  require disposal or recycling. 

My car chill likely be an EV - but I’m not as confident as you are of their longevity from a value perspective. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unless the market for 2nd hand EV’s collapses - after the end of your battery warrant who wants a car that is worthless if the battery cost more to replace the value if a car ??? 
.... don't see that happening, as they seem to be gaining in market share every year

… of course, that’s loaded with assumption, just as your bias is towards the collapse of a 2nd hand ICE market. 
... not really bias :cheesy:  more just how I'm reading the numbers, and common sense thinking of folks, realizing the value & savings.  More as the see friends & family going BEVs.   As the word spreads ...

... definitely not seeing that for personal vehicles.  30+ of R&D and still no market for them.   

There are huge environmental issues potentially facing us with the handling of expired car batteries & millions of tonnes of solar cells that are no longer efficient &  require disposal or recycling. 

... I would think there will be a huge 'repurpose' market for batteries & motors outlasting the rest of the, or value of.  

My car chill likely be an EV - but I’m not as confident as you are of their longevity from a value perspective. 

... they almost pay for themselves, especially if you have solar.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is NOT a growing shift towards hydrogen fuel cells, there is a growing shift AWAY from hydrogen fuel cells.

Tried it in Norway, it failed.

Tried in California, it failed.

Tried it in the UK, it failed.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

There is NOT a growing shift towards hydrogen fuel cells, there is a growing shift AWAY from hydrogen fuel cells.

Tried it in the UK, it failed.

I’m not so sure - there seems to be  new shift in focus again - certainly in Japan which seems to be pushing hydrogen once again.

Japan also pushing biofuels. 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

.... don't see that happening, as they seem to be gaining in market share every year

... not really bias :cheesy:  more just how I'm reading the numbers, and common sense thinking of folks, realizing the value & savings.  More as the see friends & family going BEVs.   As the word spreads ...

... definitely not seeing that for personal vehicles.  30+ of R&D and still no market for them.   

... I would think there will be a huge 'repurpose' market for batteries & motors outlasting the rest of the, or value of.  

... they almost pay for themselves, especially if you have solar.

Decent responses… it will be interesting to see how a lot of this plays out but can’t help think that a lot of this has been politicized to such a degree we may not have the best option and see increasing interest from others parties towards H2 & biofuels… 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m not so sure - there seems to be  new shift in focus again - certainly in Japan which seems to be pushing hydrogen once again.

Japan also pushing biofuels. 

There are class action lawsuits everywhere Hydrogen has been trialed for passenger cars.

One of the biggest problems is at the filling station, each pump can only carry enough hydrogen for about 50 cars.  The UK, Norway & the USA are shutting sown most of their hydrogen fuel stations.

Japan can't be trusted, they left EV too late and are now just spreading disinformation.

I believe we may see hydrogen vehicles, long distance haulage and if there is a lithium shortage possibly a two-tier strategy with hydrogen cars.

Expensive EV's that are cheap to run

Cheap HFCEV's that are expensive to run

I think we will also see cheap city EV cars with shorter range and Sodium batteries.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Japan can't be trusted, they left EV too late and are now just spreading disinformation.

That's of course complete nonsense. Toyota is not spreading "disinformation". Toyota, BMW, Hyundai, Kawasaki and Yamaha have joined forces and are investing billions in the future production of hydrogen cars. Their factories are already subsidised by the UK government.

To try and pretend Toyota's drive for the hydrogen car is just a "disinformation" campaign is frankly just silly.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

That's of course complete nonsense. Toyota is not spreading "disinformation". Toyota, BMW, Hyundai, Kawasaki and Yamaha have joined forces and are investing billions in the future production of hydrogen cars. Their factories are already subsidised by the UK government.

To try and pretend Toyota's drive for the hydrogen car is just a "disinformation" campaign is frankly just silly.

There are over 300 Toyota Mirai drivers in California suing Toyota for misinformation about their cars and network.

They want their money back.

HFCEV trials have failed in every country.

Tried it in the UK, it failed

Nobody wants expensive to run HFCEV's.  

• Confused 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

There are over 300 Toyota Mirai drivers in California suing Toyota for misinformation about their cars and network.

They want their money back.

HFCEV trials have failed in every country.

Tried it in the UK, it failed

Nobody wants expensive to run HFCEV's.  

Lol, the Mirai was just like a Nokia phone of the first generation, a first try. Obviously the future hydrogen cars will be far better. It has been very useful actually the Mirai showed what issues could arise with the hydrogen car. You can see from this that it flatly denies your argument that the drive for the hydrogen car is just a "disinformation" campaign. Toyota has for a long time been involved in researching and developing hydrogen cars. They actually began in 1992, long before EVs were a real thing.

So clearly their development of hydrogen cars is in no way "because they missed the boat" with EVs. That in fact, is "disinformation".

• Agree 1

Toyota missed the boat because of their CEO at the time Akio Toyoda (now Chairman) who was violently opposed to EV's.  Whilst it's true to say they invested very early on, they also invested very early on in every technology including Ammonia.

Only this year Akio Toyoda said EV's would never achieve more than 30% new vehicle market share.  In China last month it reached 55%.

There are reports indicating that Japanese automakers, particularly Toyota, have been involved in spreading disinformation about electric vehicles (EVs). A report by InfluenceMap highlights that many major car companies, including those from Japan, are actively working against the transition to EVs. The report specifically mentions that Japanese automakers are among the most active in lobbying against stringent climate policies and promoting hybrid vehicles over fully electric ones.

Additionally, there have been instances where Toyota has been accused of spreading anti-EV propaganda within Japan, including distributing materials that favor hybrids and downplay the benefits of EVs.

The InfluenceMap report is behind a registration wall, it is entitled 

Automakers and Climate Policy Advocacy:

A Global Analysis
How automaker lobbying threatens the global transition to electric vehicles

Nearly all major car companies are sabotaging EV transition, and Japan is worst, study finds (thedriven.io)

How Toyota sneakily spreads anti-EV propaganda in Japan | Electrek

How Japan's Auto Industry Became Two Factions To Survive The EV War (insideevs.com)