The Thai ETA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation)

4 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Very strange, it is most certainly not in the airlines remit to check if you have a re-entry permit, actually, I would have thought that most airline staff would not even know they exist. Having a re-entry permit is also in no way shape or form a requirement to travel.

As I said, very strange.

Not strange at all, most people flying to Thailand on a one way ticket would require a visa. A re-entry permit is a pseudo visa and would be checked as any other visa.

You are right to  a  certain extent that not all airline staff are familiar with them, a supervisor will  soon sort that out.

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

Oh how wrong you are! There is absolutely no requirement to be retired to get either a visa or extension based on being over 50.

You really do have a distorted way of thinking.

The original point referred to a retirement extension and if your visa status in Thailand is based  on "retirement" as laid down by immigration, then you are not allowed to work.

You are effectively retired or working illegally.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Still don't see the word 'retirement'? 

If it's not there, it doesn't apply.

The ETA is for VISA-FREE travelers. If you have a retirement visa/extension, you are not visa-free, are you?

On 9/8/2024 at 8:50 AM, Maestro said:

At any particular airport or worldwide?

Would you be surprised that automated checkin at kiosks is in excess of 85% and that  bag tags are 85% self printed too?

This is predominately for non premium class passengers. There will always be a manual checkin capability, but the trend is to offer reduced staffing. Where there were once multiple checkin counters with agents to process passengers, particularly on domestic flights, there may be one or two. Some people are okay waiting in line. The trend is to get away from checkin agents on domestic flights.

Bangkok Airway has been pushing passengers to use the self checkin lines for years. Domestic checkin at Phuket now has both Air Asia and Thai checkin kiosks and it is a welcome option compared to the ridiculously long lines for manual checkin.

A lot of airlines use Timatic (and other similar systems) to track and verify documentation requirements to board a flight.

https://www.iata.org/en/services/compliance/timatic/

I would think it would be easy to add the requirement for an ETA?

For self-check, normally (now), if there is a requirement for a document or verification that remains unsatisfied, one is re-directed at the airport to see an agent,

A lot of airlines have integrated document requirements into their mobile itinerary management systems.

On 9/8/2024 at 3:48 PM, sandyf said:

Never used a self check in, and never will.

If you can scan the passport, why can't you scan the QR code on the ETA?

Some budget airlines only have self check in. Scanningv the biometrics page of a passport is a lot different from scanning a qr code. They could change the machines but of course on the end the customers will pay for it. 

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

You really do have a distorted way of thinking.

The original point referred to a retirement extension and if your visa status in Thailand is based  on "retirement" as laid down by immigration, then you are not allowed to work.

You are effectively retired or working illegally.

It is not really based on " retirement " becuase I am not asked to prove that I am retired in any way. 

I'm not working illegally on my Non-O, extensione, just not inside Thailand. 

Captain. Monday- "Constant International Travel"

25 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

JL is airline code for Japan Airlines (Like SQ is for Singapore Airlines)

Thank you. I wonder whether I was the only one who did not know that. (I might have known JAL)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

It is not really based on " retirement " becuase I am not asked to prove that I am retired in any way. 

Of course it is based on retirement. You are asking the Thai authorities for approval to be in Thailand and that approval is granted on the basis that you are retired whilst in the Kingdom.

If you don't want to be retired within the Kingdom, you need a different approval.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Of course it is based on retirement. You are asking the Thai authorities for approval to be in Thailand and that approval is granted on the basis that you are retired whilst in the Kingdom.

If you don't want to be retired within the Kingdom, you need a different approval.

Well if you put it that way I have  always been within the Kingdom, retired since I was under 30. I just thought it was based on me being 50+ and having 800k in a Thai bank. I certainly do not get a “State Pension” 

Was it risky putting my job title on the re-entry permit application and saying the purpose of my travel is work ?  

I asked and was told “Up 2 you “.  

IMG_5005.jpeg

Edited by Captain Monday

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Wrong.

All these "retirement" visa (non-O, non-OA) and extensions are NOT based on retirement. They are solely based on age (over 50) and financial requirements.

They do not require that you had a job before, from which you have by now retired. It's perfectly ok to be plain rich, never worked in your life, and over 50. It's also ok to still work,  outside of Thailand of course. 

It's not required that your money is a "retirement pension" from state or company. 

There once was a newly opened European consulate, where immediately after opening they saw things differently.  You needed to prove that you got a social security pension (not a government or private pension) from a former job, that you didn't work in anymore. 

The embassy taught them better. 

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

Thanks for the incorrect info, as you should be aware, there is no requirement to be in receipt of a state pension to apply for a Non-O based on being over 50. (think of the UK, according to that info, you would not be able to apply until you were 67 years old!)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1