Swiss man in Phuket acquitted of assaulting doctor

snoop1130

Ok, so there is two questions then:

1. Will the case be pushed to higher instance?

2. Mr. Urs visa was cancelled, pending trial, so technically he would be on overstay by now, and could be subject to deportation?

My 2 baht.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Literally LMAO. Good for him and **** that b****. Paid it off no doubt, but that was not an "assault". It was a an entitled butthurt b**** trying to use connections to get revenge for something that really did not need revenge.

What would you do if someone spoke to your Wife like that ???

The keyboard warrior in me would suggest that had that been my wife sat there and the guy walks up and abuses her like that there would be retribution....

... And there still maybe, as while he has been acquitted of assault, his business dealings were brought into question - and that may see his visa rights disintegrating.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, george said:

2. Mr. Urs visa was cancelled, pending trial, so technically he would be on overstay by now, and could be subject to deportation?

My 2 baht.

Good points... But that suggests that any foreigner held for a court appearance (on bail, visa cancelled pending trail) would be automatically deported whether convicted or not, so there only needs to be the 'accusation' and 'visa cancelled pending bail' to turn any conflict into a win... due to the 'overstay risk'.

Surely in such circumstances extensions of stay filed ?

----- 

In this case, I'm not so sure his visa was cancelled - it was that little racists vermin Anuthin who was shooting his mouth off about revolking the Swiss-mans visa rights - which, if I'm not mistaken might actually be illegal without judicial process.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, george said:

He was given temporary extensions to cover him while he was on trial and perhaps the not guilty verdict would permit reinstatement of his visa.

50 minutes ago, george said:

Only if the prosecution appeals the verdict but that would require additional evidence that has not already been presented to the court, in other words, not very likely.

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not so sure his visa was cancelled - it was that little racists vermin Anuthin who was shooting his mouth off about revolking the Swiss-mans visa rights

"The southern immigration office has revoked the long-stay visa for a Swiss businessman who owns an elephant park in Phuket after his alleged assault of a doctor led to a protest by local residents.
Pol Col Parinya Klinkesorn, speaking for the Immigration Bureau, said on Thursday that Pol Maj Gen Songprod Sirisukha, commander of Immigration Division 6, had signed an order on Wednesday evening to revoke the visa of Urs “David” Fehr as proposed by the Phuket Immigration Office".

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40036176

10 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I wouldn't want peasants wandering into my garden or sitting on my steps.  Bully for you if you'd be ok with random people coming into your garden for a nose around.

Peasants dont travel, Begpacker sure 

11 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

As I said back when this incident first happened. 

1) The video showed no evidence of any physical contact.

2) He was well within his rights to not want people trespassing on his garden. 

What some people might not recall, or may not be aware of, is that his garden is open to the public beach with no fence to stop people wandering onto his lawn.
He reported that on several occasions he had come home to find groups of tourists (most likely Chinese) in his garden. He was understandably annoyed by this.  In his position I would have probably chased those two people off the steps as well.  It's perhaps unfortunate that all Asians have black hair, so it's not possible to tell if someone is Thai or Chinese. 

Nothing he did was wrong, it was private property, and people should respect that. 

And for those who will no doubt say "oh but the steps were illegally built on the beach".  Explain me how he was supposed to know that?  He rented the property in good faith and anyone renting a house like that would naturally assume the steps were legal, were part of the property and therefore private. 

First of all, the steps the women were sitting on were not legal and have subsequently been removed because they were encroaching on a public beach.  At the very least, the villa owners should have known this.

I wonder how difficult it would have been to have erected a low fence on the legal edge of the property, a gate to the beach, and a sign saying NO ENTRY in the required languages?  It might have been enough to put off the "hordes of Chinese (?) tourists" that this man complained about previously from trespassing on his property.

A small private villa estate on Railay Beach in Krabi has such a fence and it stops undesirables from wandering around the property.  At least it did last time I stayed there.

Finally, what happened with the road-rage incident Mr. Fehr was previously involved in?  Or the dodgy elephant sanctuary where most of the "rescued animals" had been bought in?

Edited by IslandLover
  • Thumbs Up 2

Such a nice, polite, peaceful Swiss. A real ambassador for his country.

NO> If you see how he walks towards the women who are just sitting there, hear how he shouts, how he uses bad words, then these are signs that he did not slip, but attacked immediately and kicke the lady. Unfortunately the kick itself is not captured on video.

This is an example of people who think they own the world and do not need to show any respect towards other creatures.

He and his partner are really very, very lucky to hear this outcome from the judge.

I doubt it, but hopefully this Swiss coconutty brain has learnt a lesson for life.

Thanks to this sort of guy many Thai do not welcome more tourists. Understandably. And that is a pity. So Swissy, get out of Thailand a.s.a.p., thanks.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

A lot of people in this case obviously got paid well to bring this verdict in. Being acquitted will make him think that he can do the same thing again and get off with it by paying the courts and whoever else money. Just shows, you really can get away with anything here in Thailand if you have the money behind you.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Falcon said:

A lot of people in this case obviously got paid well to bring this verdict in. Being acquitted will make him think that he can do the same thing again and get off with it by paying the courts and whoever else money. Just shows, you really can get away with anything here in Thailand if you have the money behind you.

It is usually up to a single judge in cases like this to reach a verdict. Your post goes way beyond criticising a court decision, into allegations of bribery and corruption. None of which you have any evidence of.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, george said:

My 2 baht.

Many countries have special visas for people whose original visa was cancelled, or expired, but are required to stay in country to face courts. In Australia the category is called a "criminal Justice" visa. A version can also apply to witnesses in a case. Generally, they expire upon finalization of the case. The holders don't become overstayed awaiting trial. I don't know how it works in Thailand.

With the not guilty verdict I would expect he could apply for a new extension of stay.

My question would be what happened with the witness sitting next to the complainant?  Did she testify, if so, I would have thought the verdict would be different. 

While the kick wasn't filmed, I did hear the thud on the video. Also, he admitted his foot made contact. I would have thought his actions and words before, during and after the incident, with a witness' testimony, would have been sufficient for a different outcome.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, IslandLover said:

First of all, the steps the women were sitting on were not legal and have subsequently been removed because they were encroaching on a public beach.  At the very least, the villa owners should have known this.

I wonder how difficult it would have been to have erected a low fence on the legal edge of the property, a gate to the beach, and a sign saying NO ENTRY in the required languages?  It might have been enough to put off the "hordes of Chinese (?) tourists" that this man complained about previously from trespassing on his property.

A small private villa estate on Railay Beach in Krabi has such a fence and it stops undesirables from wandering around the property.  At least it did last time I stayed there.

Finally, what happened with the road-rage incident Mr. Fehr was previously involved in?  Or the dodgy elephant sanctuary where most of the "rescued animals" had been bought in?

An isolated and exclusive part of Phuket well away from where the average Chinese tourist would be found.  The story of finding such on the property previously would have some believing the tale to be manufactured as part of the defense.

I would also be asking about outcomes with the handguns he held that were apparently registered to him despite being prohibited.

• Like 1

In Thailand, it looks like money still talks.  The justice systems seems to keep

that statement alive and well. Many cases bought off through out the years.

We do not get to hear most of them.  This is Thailand.  I still love the food and

the climate and beaches.

4 hours ago, stupidfarang said:
17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There's a video that shows him kicking her?   Could you post the link?

google is your friend, go look

No point as there is no such video, as you well know, if there was you would have linked to it.  It is actually on this thread, that is, the video that clearly does not show her being kicked!

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, IslandLover said:

Fehr wasn't the owner, no reason for him to have known that.

16 hours ago, IslandLover said:

what happened with the road-rage incident Mr. Fehr was previously involved in?  Or the dodgy elephant sanctuary where most of the "rescued animals" had been bought in?

He was fined for the "road rage" incident with the ambulance and where has it been confirmed that the was anything illegal about the sanctuary, as you seem to be suggesting?

15 hours ago, toho said:

If you see how he walks towards the women who are just sitting there, hear how he shouts, how he uses bad words, then these are signs that he did not slip, but attacked immediately and kicke the lady. Unfortunately the kick itself is not captured on video.

"...these are signs that he did not slip, but attacked immediately and kicke the lady..."

Nonsense, they are not!   That is an unsafe and ridiculous assumption on your part. In the past on several memorable occasions I, loudly and angrily, called my ex-wife a "fckin cnt" to her face, none of those outbursts were evidence that I "attacked immediately and kicked her", they were just words, as were the Swiss's actions .

"Unfortunately the kick itself is not captured on video".

Exactly.   There was no evidence of a kick.

10 hours ago, Falcon said:

A lot of people in this case obviously got paid well to bring this verdict in.

That is not "obvious" at all.  There is, however, video evidence that there obviously was no evidence of a kick.