The benefits of living alone as an older man

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I fkn hate that. Every time I see it I tell her to bend over.

It is the single biggest drawback of being with a woman with a beautiful flowing head of hair.

I had to literally ban her from the bathroom.

Damn, I guess I've been blessed.  Y'all are making me feel appreciative of my life and partner experiences.   Had a couple that were a PITA, and avoiding would have saved a headache or 3, but none that turned me off of being in a future relationship.

Though do admit, #4 as a pleasant surprise as had no thought of long term relationship after #3.   That she was mother material to my daughter when I was playing single parent probably had a lot to do with it.  

As 1 GF before her, yelled at my daughter for not being respectful enough to her elders (me), in the Thai sub servant way.   She was gone that weekend, as free speech was allowed, as long as done properly.  Another was gone because the daughter didn't warm up to her, and was ignored.  It's a package deal ... bye bye.

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's certainly great being single but when you get to the vulnerable stage you really need a live in "girlfriend" or carer.

Some guys have a wife/girlfriend and carer, not sure what happens when you are at the nursing home stage

Want to die before going to a nursing home. Laid out in a bed 24/7, semi-conscious, eating jello is not something to look forward to.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Sadly, that can happen and there are many, many women like this. You're unlikely to be alone in that experience.

Your best choice then is indeed to look at the advantages of being alone. Total freedom to do as you please, no annoying interruptions, no hair in the bathroom or in bed.

I've lived alone (but not lonely) for more than 10 years after my last divorce. I have many friends, still good friends with my 2 ex-wives in Thailand, but the thought of sharing my life with another person is way down on my list of 'things to do'

• Agree 1

Just now, simon43 said:

I've lived alone (but not lonely) for more than 10 years after my last divorce. I have many friends, still good friends with my 2 ex-wives in Thailand, but the thought of sharing my life with another person is way down on my list of 'things to do'

Much better, one shouldn't chase those things, but wait in case they fall to you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Not everyone is gay, for heavens sake.

Several times in my life, I have had male roommates.  None gay.  Neither am I .  Usually, a change in life situation, like an unexpected divorce, a job loss, or healthcare needs.  I had plenty of spare rooms, and none of the situations went sideways.  Unlike some female live-ins that turned into disasters.

When my father went into the old fart's home, he thought his life was over.  Two weeks later, he asked my sister to bring him some after shave.  They all played poker, had coffee every morning, watched the games on the big screen and generally enjoyed life.  They all had their own rooms and bathroom.  But they lived in the community and just slept in their rooms.

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Want to die before going to a nursing home. Laid out in a bed 24/7, semi-conscious, eating jello is not something to look forward to.

That's if you're lucky and don't get cancer of the ear and they cut it off. After you get a heart attack, then live in pain 24/7, can hardly walk or sleep. Your hearing is gone, so you can't participate in conversations.

To be old and sick, what a fate awaits us all. 

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I got my self an infected leg and I couldn't walk or  get out of bed and I was bedridden for a few days , after a few days of lying in bed a Thai girlfriend came around to visit .

I told her that I couldn't get out of bed and I couldn't walk.

I gave her 1000 Baht   (to get me some food) .

She got me one chicken and rice meal for 50 Baht and I didn't see her for the next three days until I could walk again , she spent the "change" on some beers for herself 

I don't believe that, no way you had a girlfriend 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Yes, having seen my parents go through that, it's definitely better to die beforehand, plus £14k a month for both of them for a slow torturous death

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

When I spent a night in the local hospital, she slept on the floor next to my bed to look after me- fetching me edible food etc.

IMO that's a reasonable indicator of her commitment to my well-being.

Yeah, I would think it is. However, as a rule in government hospital, they must have one person staying with the patient. But, let´s be positive 😉 

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

When my father went into the old fart's home, he thought his life was over.  Two weeks later, he asked my sister to bring him some after shave.  They all played poker, had coffee every morning, watched the games on the big screen and generally enjoyed life.  They all had their own rooms and bathroom.  But they lived in the community and just slept in their rooms.

Very different to my parents experience in an expensive care home, but depends on health most likely, some seem to go in too early

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSD1 said:

I think more to the point is that many men praise the maid-like things their wives do for them when in fact what they really need/want is simply a maid and not a wife. But those are the kinds of things they tell themselves when they try and think about what's so wonderful about their marriage. How many times do men say "She is so clever, smart, has taught me so many fascinating things, is an amazing chess player, wonderful to travel with, and can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch first thing in the morning"? No, it's more like: "When I was sick and couldn't walk for 2 weeks my wife got me some street food, drinks from 7-Eleven, and cleaned things up. She's so wonderful. She must really love me". 

I expect that many of then had younger brothers or sisters who they used to send down the shops to get them things and get their younger brother or sister to tidy up for them and their now Thai wife replaces their younger Brother and sister who goes down the shop and cleans up after them 

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Very different to my parents experience in an expensive care home, but depends on health most likely, some seem to go in too early

One more little thing leads to one more little thing on to one more and on and on and on it goes with the prolongation of life. At least I think that is how the trap is sprung in the West. I know it's that way in the US. Over the space of a couple of years, someone moves from being mobile, cognizant, completely aware to gradually being shut away. My feeling is that is less likely to occur in Thailand. Something will get you here, medically, financially, or physically, before you're stuffed up in a room with I Love Lucy going 24 hours per day.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Flyguy330 said:

From the South China Morning Post this week. 

“The statistics on “lonely deaths” were released by the Japanese National Police Agency on Tuesday. They showed that across Japan, 21,716 people died alone in the first three months of the year, with nearly 80 per cent, or 17,034 individuals, aged 65 or older.”

stunning and frightening statistic. 

Everyone dies .

I would rather die on my own , I certainly wouldn't want someone there watching me die 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am betting the nagging marrieds were in the same age bracket. Not much point to that, both are equally vulnerable.

My GF is 23 years younger than me.

I asked her once what she would do, if I started going poopy in my trousers. Her response was " No problem. I can do".

But if you poopy woppy in your trousy wousys or poopy woopy  your beddy weddy when you live on your owny wony . no ones bothered .

If you live on your own it doesn't matter if you turd your own pants 

7 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Everyone dies .

I would rather die on my own , I certainly wouldn't want someone there watching me die 

Considering the last post you made to me, that's pretty well guaranteed.

13 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Everyone in reality dies on their own. I remember when I was about to undergo my operation to have me gall bladder removed and my then devoted wife and daughter were at my side just before the operation, as I contemplated leaving this world on a cold operating table I realised how little consolation the care of loved ones really provided in such times. When you go, you truly go alone I have a suspicion.

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

7-11 have deliveries , you can order online and they bring the goods around to you , you don't need a live in gofer to go to 7/11 for you .

You don't need a gofer these days , they bring it to you 

Unless they were prepared to enter my house and give it to me, it wouldn't have been any use. I was unable to walk or get up from the sofa without assistance.

4 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Everyone in reality dies on their own. I remember when I was about to undergo my operation to have me gall bladder removed and my then devoted wife and daughter were at my side just before the operation, as I contemplated leaving this world on a cold operating table I realised how little consolation the care of loved ones really provided in such times. When you go, you truly go alone I have a suspicion.

Everyone i know who died did so in hospital. So a nurse spoke to them last.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Unless they were prepared to enter my house and give it to me, it wouldn't have been any use. I was unable to walk or get up from the sofa without assistance.

You could have got to the front door with a bit of effort , you were just being lazy by not making an effort 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It depends who else would take care of you. 😉 

image.jpeg.d8d383803616a447d51504977a73f514.jpeg

Book me in Danno, all of a sudden I'm feeling older and needing care, lots of care 🙂

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am betting the nagging marrieds were in the same age bracket. Not much point to that, both are equally vulnerable.

My GF is 23 years younger than me.

I asked her once what she would do, if I started going poopy in my trousers. Her response was " No problem. I can do".

What about if it was the other way around , what would you do if she began popping her pants ?

Would you spend the rest of your life cleaning her bum ?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, advancebooking said:

do you mean that you get some on the side. the wife doesnt know about it?

She always tells me to enjoy my cake/s, but she doesn't want to know about it.

Head In Sand GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Damn, I guess I've been blessed.  Y'all are making me feel appreciative of my life and partner experiences.   Had a couple that were a PITA, and avoiding would have saved a headache or 3, but none that turned me off of being in a future relationship.

Though do admit, #4 as a pleasant surprise as had no thought of long term relationship after #3.   That she was mother material to my daughter when I was playing single parent probably had a lot to do with it.  

As 1 GF before her, yelled at my daughter for not being respectful enough to her elders (me), in the Thai sub servant way.   She was gone that weekend, as free speech was allowed, as long as done properly.  Another was gone because the daughter didn't warm up to her, and was ignored.  It's a package deal ... bye bye.

One of the reasons for the breakup of my second long-term relationship were her two children. She doted on them.

OTOH, I thought they were overindulged, spoiled little sh!ts. Well, not so little.

• Thumbs Up 1