The benefits of living alone as an older man

5 minutes ago, maesariang said:

The question was asked like she wanted to know. She had already seen the bathroom was empty. Either trying to be friendly or nosey or wanted something.

I never put to much in to meaning of such questions or incidents. 

20 minutes ago, maesariang said:

I was staying in this hotel with gf. Gf went to hospital with mother for day. Cleaning staff were asking me where was my gf? I was wondering why. Maybe they just see an opportunity and take it. I think it would be hard to stay alone. Options everywhere.

Cleaner probably suspected your "girlfriend" was another short time

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Possibly I am pretending. IMO healthier than screwing up my liver, stomach, esophagus and kidneys daily with a Class 1 carcinogen.

one scary thing about alcohol is if you have a genetic predisposition to alzheimer's, the risk will go up significantly.

one doctor even mentioned how to check with 23andMe. But I'm afraid to check for it, but at the same time I stopped drinking. 

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes I agree, old people (including me) lead a pointless existence.

But at least I'm not pretending  my uploads to tiktok are a real life.

your life doesnt need to have a deep profound purpose.

even just watching movies, reading books, contemplating on the plots is interesting for me. 

it's better if you have a hobby maybe.

On 9/4/2024 at 8:12 AM, Nemises said:

Agreed. Other options: have a nurse as your GF; reside in an apartment complex that has a live-in caretaker/manager and become good friends with them. 

Another additional  option .......... smart watches now can call designated numbers if you fall over and fail to stand up after a specified time.

Also, you can buy a dongle that has a sim card. Similarly, you program in up to 5 numbers and if you press the button in an emergency, it calls them all.

Technology is there to assist. 🙂

On 9/4/2024 at 6:40 AM, retarius said:

This girl looks underage and that's a nasty looking syringe she has there. 

Under what age ?

Looks about same age as my nurse g/f when I started dating her...19.

Straight up clean and clear age-of-consent without any parental cashgrab extortion scenario below 19...

On 9/4/2024 at 8:46 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Living alone and going out and having friends is fine.

And then there are some people who live alone and almost never go out and almost never talk to anybody, etc.

I wouldn't want to be such a lonely person. 

That is me with the exception of getting out. I'm OK with my situation. I really don't have a choice other than moving to a place with other expats.  You need to be able find hobbies(even one can suffice ) that are satisfying and having an incredible partner is the most important. 

I just came back from Laos and bumped into an Expat eating lunch in a crappy Lao restaurant.  3 empty beer bottles on the table and just got the impression he was just wasting away.  He wasn't a bad bloke but felt sorry for him.

I don't know but simply being aware enough so you can realize you are unhappy alone and trying something else would be the answer.  Most lonely downers don't even have a clue there are options.

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

I just came back from Laos and bumped into an Expat eating lunch in a crappy Lao restaurant.  3 empty beer bottles on the table and just got the impression he was just wasting away.  He wasn't a bad bloke but felt sorry for him.

🍺🍺🍺

Those guys who drink a lot of beer are weird. I always wonder why they don't have a soymilk instead. They always have to drink the "large bottle" of beer and can't ever just drink a regular size bottle. That's when I know they have an alcohol problem and it's about the buzz, the large bottle.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, atpeace said:

I really don't have a choice other than moving to a place with other expats.

I guess you could talk with the locals.

And if you want to talk to expats, why don't you live in an area with expats already?

Deliberately quoting removed posts will get your posting privileges removed.

They are removed for a reason, DO NOT! 

Off topic discussions on a posters identity also removed.

This is an anonymous forum, please keep it that way.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess you could talk with the locals.

And if you want to talk to expats, why don't you live in an area with expats already?

I don't talk much to the locals because my Thai isn't good and there English is worse.  They are pleasant enough and haven't had any issues with them. 

As for Expats, they are  fine to talk t but as I mentioned, there aren't any 🙂 Life is perfect but I'm fine with the imperfections and choose to live a life without expats or real friends.  Been 4 years and arguably my best years so no plans on moving.  My woman has other homes where tourists reside and we go there once or twice a year for a month and that's is fun. Also travel more than most for events or whatever.

Edited by atpeace

On 9/4/2024 at 8:46 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Living alone and going out and having friends is fine.

And then there are some people who live alone and almost never go out and almost never talk to anybody, etc.

I wouldn't want to be such a lonely person. 

Screenshot_20240903_052041_Gallery.jpg

• Agree 1

I hate these type of You Tube channels, there are so many AI computer generated content!  They suck you in and try to believe you’re listening to a human being.  Don’t get fooled guys!  Doesn’t matter what the subject matter is!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, cab driver said:

I hate these type of You Tube channels, there are so many AI computer generated content!  They suck you in and try to believe you’re listening to a human being.  Don’t get fooled guys!  Doesn’t matter what the subject matter is!

They don't suck me in.

If they suck you in, then maybe think about why that happens. 

I have a weekly cleaner Female and a female gardener if I was in dire straights I know I could depend on them the only thing that worries me is if I was to be fine one minute and two minutes later keel over who would take care of my cat the only consolation is if she were hungry after a few days she could always chew on me  !

On 9/4/2024 at 8:29 AM, impulse said:

Better yet.  Get a male room mate to share expenses and chores, or live in a building with a good community of like minded old farts.

Bros before hoes!

There are a vast amount of young people in Thailand who don’t live to be an old fart .have you looked at the suicide rates in the Kingdom obviously not !

On 9/6/2024 at 9:55 AM, Speedhump said:

My wife had to wear nappies for the last few months of her life. Not a pleasant task to change them but love is a powerful thing. I wish I was  still doing it.

I think you should be grateful that it did not go on so long that you resented doing it.

When it is time to go, there is no point lingering.  

On 9/5/2024 at 12:29 PM, Lacessit said:

Your prime risk is a hip fracture.

The average life expectancy for someone over 70, who breaks a hip, is 6 months.

What’s the average life expectancy for people who don’t break a hip?

Do you have a source for this data?

Healthy people die of something, and it can be longer and slower than death by ill-health.

15 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

It varies, but my guess is if you don't break a hip you would live longer then if you do break a hip.

So you reckon that people who are going to die soon are more likely to break a hip?

The New Boy has survived maybe five years since breaking his hip through a combination of gradients and being clipped in, and not currently showing any long-term ill effects.   To be fair, he was well shy of 70 when the mishap happened.

I am still struggling to see any more than coincidental correlation between imminent death and femural orthopaedic mishap whether for the elderly or for whippersnappers like you and I.

18 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

So you reckon that people who are going to die soon are more likely to break a hip?

The New Boy has survived maybe five years since breaking his hip through a combination of gradients and being clipped in, and not currently showing any long-term ill effects.   To be fair, he was well shy of 70 when the mishap happened.

I am still struggling to see any more than coincidental correlation between imminent death and femural orthopaedic mishap whether for the elderly or for whippersnappers like you and I.

Yes, people in old age tend to break bones because they get brittle. Things like hips, not arms. When that happens they tend to not heal and it puts a lot of stress on the body. That stress causes other problems, like the immune system not being able to fight off many things including infections, etc.

It does not mean someone is going to die right away, it just means they are getting old and they are headed in that direction. Many other signs appear, basically just ailments of all sorts, things not healing, one thing complicating another type stuff. Pretty soon you're going to the doctor all the time, taking all kinds of medication and realize your body is giving up and why the hell has your schedule started revolving around hospital visits.

Edited by JimTripper

6 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

What’s the average life expectancy for people who don’t break a hip?

Do you have a source for this data?

Healthy people die of something, and it can be longer and slower than death by ill-health.

If you are 81 yo, your average life expectancy is another 6 years.

On 9/4/2024 at 1:12 PM, Nemises said:

Agreed. Other options: have a nurse as your GF; reside in an apartment complex that has a live-in caretaker/manager and become good friends with them. 

OR, you could just have one of those medical alarms on you to call an ambulance if needed.

Your friendly manager may not check on you for days, but if you don't get CPR within minutes after a severe heart attack you may as well look for the old man with the scythe to come a knockin'.

Edited by thaibeachlovers