Recommendations of a quality Slow Cooker

connda

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Still use a Rival 3150 never any problems.

I'll have to get in my Back To The Future DeLorean and jet back to 1990 and pick one up at Walmart.

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

What do you cook in it?

I throw in cheap beef cuts, onion, oxo cube, a little soy sauce, fried onions, a little water and that’s it. Leave it for five hours if I want the gravy thick then I coat the beef in flower and fry it first.

• Like 1

Yes ,  Otto SC - 215  model no.   mid size crock pot / slow cooker.   Ceramic base just lifts out for easy cleaning. 

Bought it some 15 yrs ago and still works.   Looks like Thaiwatsadu  have Otto brands... 

image.png.56f5f7c5bf939ba78552ab2489f65e15.png

25 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I throw in cheap beef cuts, onion, oxo cube, a little soy sauce, fried onions, a little water and that’s it. Leave it for five hours if I want the gravy thick then I coat the beef in flower and fry it first.

Sounds like you could sub the beef for cubed pork or whole chicken thighs, maybe add blitzed tomatoes. 

42 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Sounds like you could sub the beef for cubed pork or whole chicken thighs, maybe add blitzed tomatoes. 

I do usually add a tin of chopped tomatoes, and a generous heat teaspoon full of marmite, no salt if using marmite.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

i have the same slowcooker, never use it anymore, problem is it's a one trick pony, stews, and i can eat very good ones out

A bad workman blames his tools.

I make Thai curries, Indian curries, Malaysian Beef Rendang, Greek stews, Osso buco and more.

Tell us where you go to get these very good stews and I may go to compare.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

Can anyone recommend a Slow Cooker which they themselves use and like?  Brand and model?  Thanks!

Otto SC-207 with 3.5 litre capacity and clay pot. 

The larger version has already been mentioned.

Around 350 & 500 baht respectively. For two people, the smaller option is enough, unless you want to fill your freezer.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah right, wouldn't want to see you there

How would you know it was me, even on the remote chance we were there at the same time? When will you grow out of such infantile behaviour? Share where these 'very good' stews can be found. We know they must be good value if you go there.

OP asked about a slow cooker. If you have an option where you think he doesn't need it, but can go to a restaurant instead, reveal all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I throw in cheap beef cuts, onion, oxo cube, a little soy sauce, fried onions, a little water and that’s it.

12 Oxo cubes for 160 THB online. I presume you put in around 1 cube for each serving being cooked? Cooking a batch for 4 people = 4 Oxo cubes? 

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

12 Oxo cubes for 160 THB online. I presume you put in around 1 cube for each serving being cooked? Cooking a batch for 4 people = 4 Oxo cubes? 

If you were cooking a batch of 4 average size portions you would only require 1 Oxo cube. The Thai Knorr stock cubes are considerably cheaper (any meat or veg flavour) and perfectly adequate. Add a bit of additional seasoning (not too much salt as stock cubes are naturally salty) ground pepper, mixed herbs etc. You can crumble/dissolve the stock cube into whatever liquid you will be adding to the pot. 

As you mentioned in a previous post, chicken or pork will work fine. You are better off with a slightly fatty cut of meat ie. chicken thighs or pork shoulder etc (as opposed to chicken breast or pork loin) as the leaner cuts can dry out during the cooking. Always best to brown the meat off first for added flavour. If you want a thicker gravy/sauce either dust the meat in plain flour before browning. Or just sprinkle a spoonful of flour over the meat and veggies before cooking, add the stock and give it all a stir.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Personally, I don't see the point of a stock cube in a slow cooking situation. 

Wheat Flour (with Added Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Maize Starch, Yeast Extract, Flavour Enhancers (monosodium Glutamate, Disodium Guanylate), Colour (ammonia Caramel), Beef Fat (4.5%), Autolysed Yeast Extract, Dried Beef Bonestock, Flavourings, Sugar, Acidity Regulator (lactic Acid), Onion Powder.

What's the point of adding that to your slow cooking beef? Your own healthy stock is being created.

If you are going to use stock cubes, look at Kallo: https://www.kallo.com

You can also throw in tinned chopped tomatoes together with the herbs and seasoning of your choice.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, connda said:

Can anyone recommend a Slow Cooker which they themselves use and like?  Brand and model?  Thanks!

my wife.

slightly used. works well when plugged in. brand is thai model is 1969.