About the high class hotels

georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

The whole point of staying in expensive hotels is to avoid low class people. 

Unfortunately these days there are far too many low class people who make good money and ruin quality places.

You mean instagrammers and similar?

1710128305024?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=0p-5

1 minute ago, maesariang said:

Milk is what you normally add. Never cooked them hey?

I go regularly to the breakfast of one of the best hotels in Bangkok where they prepare those scrambled eggs in front of me.

No milk is added, and I really like their scrambled eggs.

This time with salmon.

image.thumb.jpeg.dfaa9c942e5bdf553de7a5410ae89036.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

I go regularly to the breakfast of one of the best hotels in Bangkok where they prepare those scrambled eggs in front of me.

No milk is added, and I really like their scrambled eggs.

This time with salmon.

image.thumb.jpeg.dfaa9c942e5bdf553de7a5410ae89036.jpeg

Looks like a mashed up omelette.

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2024 at 10:00 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Yes I love that ozbargain forum , unfortunately I'm banned from posting though , but $372 a year membership to Accor is a bit steep 

I have a Qantas premium credit card I will look on their website 

I won't be paying big money to stay in a hotel though unless I'm treated like royalty 

Check Soi Buakhao,Mr Troll:)

there are plenty of 5-star properties for you lol

Dress code there is  smart casual 555

• Sad 1

On 9/9/2024 at 6:12 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Which part of high-class hotels do you like or what is important for you?

Personally, I love great breakfast buffets. And those don't exist in many hotels.

For the room, it shouldn't be bad, but I don't need all marble and all that.

So, for me a good hotel is a good hotel which is near to a great hotel with a great breakfast buffet.

image.thumb.jpeg.dff145a61e9da13a23d0506a56e1b12c.jpeg

Agree and I've found several SIngapore hotels to be great on this point.

Security is a big item with me. After a work buddy had some issues at a Bkk 6 star, he then gave the general manager an instruction 'nobody, incl. room staff enter the room unless I am there'.  

Next day he went to b'fast, came back to his room before 8.00 am and 2 maids and one friend all sitting on the bed. He  called the lobby and insisted that the duty manager come to the room immediately. Some push back;  'not convenient'. He told the maids and friend to leave and not come back until he spoke to them further (he speaks Thai).

He then went to the lobby and encountered rudeness and was told that he cannot comment on the hotel actions in any way.

He went back to the room and sure enough the maids and friend back in the room going through his bags and his passport thrown on the middle of the bed.  

He checked out and told his company to ban the hotel which they did. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Gone are the days when posh hotels were family affairs. Staff who didn't job flit; that you could build a repor with and would welcome you back as a long lost friend. 

The Rock Hotel in Gibraltar was one, great customer service, nothing was ever a problem. Just follow a few house rules, as in don't leave your windows open unattended otherwise the bloody apes were 'In like Flint' and rummaging and stealing and making a right mess.

The Goodwood Park in Singapore, another classic of outstanding decor and Customer Service. 

The Manderin Oriental in Hong Kong still retains its magic, in fact there next month for a school reunion. 

The Gran Melia Victoria in Palma de Majorcca as the flagship 5* hotel of the Melia Group use to be brilliant, until younger management in Melia Group took over the reigns, staff changes, modern upgrades, lost its magic feel. Use to swap Christmas presents with the door staff, 40 years service, dropped for younger inexperienced staff, same with the Head Concierge, who had Les Clef d'Or dropped for a 20+ something without a clue or experience. 

When high class hotels are run by Bean Counters the magic stops, they become functional as opposed to wonderful memories and  experiences.

• Love It 1

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Security is a big item with me. After a work buddy had some issues at a Bkk 6 star, he then gave the general manager an instruction 'nobody, incl. room staff enter the room unless I am there'.  

Next day he went to b'fast, came back to his room before 8.00 am and 2 maids and one friend all sitting on the bed. He  called the lobby and insisted that the duty manager come to the room immediately. Some push back;  'not convenient'. He told the maids and friend to leave and not come back until he spoke to them further (he speaks Thai).

He then went to the lobby and encountered rudeness and was told that he cannot comment on the hotel actions in any way.

He went back to the room and sure enough the maids and friend back in the room going through his bags and his passport thrown on the middle of the bed.  

I understand that he has special wishes. But I would expect that when you check-in to a hotel you sign something like "I agree to this and that" including authorized people to enter the room.

I wonder if the hotel could easily configure the system to block access to people who have normally access to all rooms.

Or should they put a guard in front of his room?

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

He sounds like he was "up" himself.

Someone who thought he was important .

Scared they found his dildos 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

the hotel industry

I understand that he has special wishes. But I would expect that when you check-in to a hotel you sign something like "I agree to this and that" including authorized people to enter the room.

I wonder if the hotel could easily configure the system to block access to people who have normally access to all rooms.

Or should they put a guard in front of his room?

I have an old friend in Germany who is a hotel management consultant in Germany and the EU.

She says that all hotels have security systems / policies in place and even expensive hotels have poor systems which offer little value to guests and they can easily improve their security and the systems already in place.

Another point she emphasises is that most hotels have very poor to zero regular monitoring systems and they now well what to monitor / check, using the systems already in place but it doesn't happen.

Further on this she's very critical of the internal CCTV systems on the market and very critical re how often they are out of order or the camera has been slightly moved and the camera is now taking / broadcasting pictures of hallway floors / ceilings. And no monitoring to find situations like this and correct them. 

She and her German husband (same expertise) are currently working with hotel management companies in Singapore and Bali. 

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I have an old friend in Germany who is a hotel management consultant in Germany and the EU.

She says that all hotels have security systems / policies in place and even expensive hotels have poor systems which offer little value to guests and they can easily improve their security and the systems already in place.

Another point she emphasises is that most hotels have very poor to zero regular monitoring systems and they now well what to monitor / check, using the systems already in place but it doesn't happen.

Further on this she's very critical of the internal CCTV systems on the market and very critical re how often they are out of order or the camera has been slightly moved and the camera is now taking / broadcasting pictures of hallway floors / ceilings. And no monitoring to find situations like this and correct them. 

She and her German husband (same expertise) are currently working with hotel management companies in Singapore and Bali. 

The technology from CCTV camera systems is definitely good enough to monitor hotels and other places.

But obviously it also involves lots of humans who have to watch what is happening and making decisions.

That is a tiring job, and nobody can watch 100 videos for hours without making mistakes.

If the management wants to monitor what is going on and if they want to pay for that, then that is possible.

The question is obvious: Is it worth paying lots of money for good security?