What was your job (profession) when you moved to Thailand

still kicking

27 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed. When I was based in London from 1966 to 1990, I helped in the investigation of The Kray Twins, The Richardson Gang, Denis Neilson (the mass murderer) and John Duffy (the railway rapist and murderer of Ann Lock, Alison Day and Marje Tamboezer, the young Dutch girl). I also assisted in the investigation of several terrorist attacks at that time involving Irish and Muslim extremists. Yasser Arafat comes to mind and his highjacking of passenger airplanes for hostages.

What about the Yorkshire ripper ?

Peter Sutcliffe ? 

Finished school in London, UK aged 15. Worked on farms, oil exploration, office jobs, eventually worked for IBM Banking & Finance Division in sales, Sydney, Australia and other roles  in IT sales.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

How's England's economy compared to German? 

Considerably better. What's your point?

The German economy shrank a surprising amount in the second quarter of 2024. Gross domestic product fell by 0.1% between April and June as compared to the previous quarter. Germany therefore performed worse than the eurozone, which grew by 0.3% as compared to the first quarter, in spite of Germany's economic weakness.

UK gross domestic product (GDP) is estimated to have increased by 0.6% in Quarter 2 (Apr to June) 2024, following an increase of 0.7% in Quarter 1 (Jan to Mar) 2024. Compared with the same quarter a year ago, GDP is estimated to have increased by 0.9% in Quarter 2 2024.

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

not singling out your particular career, but how many people are willing to admit to themselves or to AN that they had to go through mountains and heaps of bs and drudgery in their careers? I know I did. Most careers suck. 

I didn't ... that's why I quit about 30 jobs.  Some lasted a week, or a month or 2 or 6.  One lasted 1 day.

One of the reasons I was self employed a lot of the time.  Along with getting my work week down to 2 'full' days a week, with 5 off to actually make money or simply chill.   I did work for an airlines (4 actually) after all, and used them flight bennies a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Considerably better. What's your point?

The German economy shrank a surprising amount in the second quarter of 2024. Gross domestic product fell by 0.1% between April and June as compared to the previous quarter. Germany therefore performed worse than the eurozone, which grew by 0.3% as compared to the first quarter, in spite of Germany's economic weakness.

UK gross domestic product (GDP) is estimated to have increased by 0.6% in Quarter 2 (Apr to June) 2024, following an increase of 0.7% in Quarter 1 (Jan to Mar) 2024. Compared with the same quarter a year ago, GDP is estimated to have increased by 0.9% in Quarter 2 2024.

Quote 1 sentence, you can make a fairy-tale.

31 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Finished school in London, UK aged 15. Worked on farms, oil exploration, office jobs, eventually worked for IBM Banking & Finance Division in sales, Sydney, Australia and other roles  in IT sales.

IBM ,thru used to have a building at North Sydney?

Are they still around ?

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I didn't ... that's why I quit about 30 jobs.  Some lasted a week, or a month or 2 or 6.  One lasted 1 day.

One of the reasons I was self employed a lot of the time.  Along with getting my work week down to 2 'full' days a week, with 5 off to actually make money or simply chill.   I did work for an airlines (4 actually) after all, and used them flight bennies a lot.

You managed to "crack the code" and escape the 5 day workweek drudgery. 

You're a genius. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

When I started teaching in Burma around 2012, I found that the best hotel in Yangon (Trader's Hotel), was fully booked up by staff from Oxfam, Save The Children etc,who would occasionally pop out in their brand new, 4-wheel drive off-road landrovers to visit the local markets.

In disgust, and unwilling to donate any money to them I established my own (miniscule) educational charity in Burma, where every penny/cent/yen etc is used for the benefit of young students).

These charities are cons ....all for the money run by con men

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

You managed to "crack the code" and escape the 5 day workweek drudgery. 

You're a genius. 

The only reason I lasted 13 years at NWA.   That and the flight bennies.  They didn't really care who worked your shift, as long as there was a body there.   So you find a 'trade partner', who bids one shift, and you bid a different shift.   So you work 2 of his, the same day you work to of yours.  Two 16 hour days.   I use to just give my single shift day away most of the time, unless it was a holiday at 2.5X the rate.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I watched a three part documentary a couple of weeks back on the John Duffy railway rapist(s) murders. His partner in crime, David Mulcahy thought that he had got away with the heinous crimes for well over a decade. 

Did you ever have any dealings with Colin Sutton who was instrumental in catching Levi Bellfield and 'The Night Stalker' - Delroy Grant?

Your career must have been both fascinating and very rewarding. I would echo GG's sentiment and thank you for your service.

Regretably "no". I left the Met in 1990 to join a Provincial Constabulary, however I may have encountered Mr. Sutton as a junior officer (with respect).

Levi Bellfield was apprehended in 2004. 

Delroy Grant's reign of terror commenced in 1992 until he was found guilty in 2011

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

What about the Yorkshire ripper ?

Peter Sutcliffe ? 

No, his crimes were investigated by a regional Forensic Science Laboratory in the North of England. I was based in London.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm just saying how did you go if they were all speaking Swedish ,I guess you speak it 

Did they talk english in there ?

So now they talk Swedish in Switzerland. Go back to your floors.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Still waiting to know what the OP did. Maybe Dole Blunger.

Talking to me? I was an automatic tool setter cam operated and CNC machines run my own machine shop for over 20 years.

• Thanks 1