Border Run for Multi Entry Visa

My nephew has a multi entry tourist visa which is due to expire in December but he's looking to do a border hop to get another 60 days (already done a 30 day extension)

Which would be the best border to visit from Chiang Mai?

I heard the old Mai Sai border is closed?

6 hours ago, nailbrains8 said:

My nephew has a multi entry tourist visa which is due to expire in December but he's looking to do a border hop to get another 60 days (already done a 30 day extension)

If he does another border hop in December just prior to the visa expiry date, he can get a further 60 days + 30 day extension, taking him through to March.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/10/2024 at 4:43 AM, nailbrains8 said:

Which would be the best border to visit from Chiang Mai?

The closest land border will be Chiang Saen or Chiang Khong.  But there is a lot of uncertainty there now as they've started requiring people to spend 1 or 2 nights in Laos before returning.  Then reports from other places that you cannot do a border bounce if you have gotten an extension on your entry.  A confusing time for sure.  I think Dr Jack's recommendation of flying out would be easiest, especially since Chiang Mai has some direct international flights.

15 minutes ago, BrandonJT said:

The closest land border will be Chiang Saen or Chiang Khong.  But there is a lot of uncertainty there now as they've started requiring people to spend 1 or 2 nights in Laos before returning.  Then reports from other places that you cannot do a border bounce if you have gotten an extension on your entry.  A confusing time for sure.  I think Dr Jack's recommendation of flying out would be easiest, especially since Chiang Mai has some direct international flights.

Thanks what do you think about the Nong Khai border?

38 minutes ago, nailbrains8 said:

Thanks what do you think about the Nong Khai border?

The Nong Khai border is very popular, and no reports of any problems there at all.   It's a bit of a trip from CM, but good for not having to worry about re-entry issues.

Even if they start requiring 1-night out in the future, Vientiane isn't a bad place to spend an evening.

• Agree 1

I have a METV and am in CM. If he decides to go to Nong Khai. There is one direct flight (not daily) to Udon Thani and a mini bus to the border. Have not checked timings but a there and back in a day by direct flight probably does not work, Nong Khai is a decent place to overnight.

There is a daily overnight bus to Nong Khai from Arcade. Came back from Nong Khai a few months ago this way, bit of a trek but the VIP seats were pretty good.

Loads of international flight options if you fancy a few days elsewhere ( I have done most of the over the years) My border run next week is to Hong Kong. Unfortunately for Dr Jack there are no direct flights to Saigon this time of year, only destination in Vietnam is Hanoi

• Like 1