90-day report without physical passport book

Hope someone has had this experience and can help. I applied online for a new US passport by mail and had to send my current passport along with the application. On the same day I did my 90-day report online - correct number of days in advance of the due date - and it was rejected. Tried again the next day and it was rejected again. This was not my first time reporting online with this retirement extension. I've contacted immigration and they referred me to a police helpdesk email - and they haven't replied. My problem is that I don't have my actual passport (and won't for several weeks) and I need to do a 90-day report. I do have a photocopy of the data page and the page with my retirement extension and last exit/re-entry stamps. Will this be enough to do a 90-day report in person? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bring all the paperwork that demonstates officially your passport is off in processed. Should work. I could also see them brush you away just to grub the fine later, but that's cynical me. There's nothing that they actually do with the passport during the check-in process. Might help if you had a photocopy of all the pages but obviously you should have a photocopy of the data page.

Try it out let us know

Of course, you could do this by mail or possibly online as has been pointed out by Dr Jack above

Edited by Chadnik

I'd 

23 minutes ago, Chadnik said:

Bring all the paperwork that demonstates officially your passport is off in processed.

This one.

Hopefully, you took a copy of the completed DS-82.

And you should have receipts for the passport renewal fee, and the Thai Post Office return fee.

All that might work. But I don't think it will, even with copies of all the passport pages. I can't see Immigration processing any request without a valid, current passport (or replacement emergency travel document) in hand.

I'd just suck it up and go file the 90-day report when you get your passports back and make your case for lateness. Maybe they won't charge you the fine?

I'd also get to the bottom of why your on-line application was rejected. Is this your first attempt? Was there a reason given? Did you return form an int'l trip? Have filed a TM30?

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, mikeh said:

Thanks. I'm going to try doing it in person with the docs I have. Not enough time to do it by mail and it's been rejected online twice. I'll update with my experience.

Of course, bring your official address/ TM30. Last condo I had rented the address was a nightmare. See you ate entering the address correctly online.

• Sad 1

I have an email from the US Embassy acknowledging receipt of my passport renewal application.

The reason for rejection of my online 90-day report:  "For first-time requests of a 90-day notification in each country visit, in-person presentation at the immigration office is required." This was not my first time with this retirement extension - I have a copy of the approved online report from March of this year and the exit and reentry stamps from an overseas trip in June of this year. (I tried the online application twice and was rejected twice - on day 15 and day 14 before the reporting date). I'll try it again now just to see.

I would try again on line after a couple days as I'm guessing that your old PP is not expired yet. They do have the expiration date in their data base of your old PP  though.  You can go to Imm office but they will probably not accept your confirmation receipt as they need your new PP number and data page along with the copies of old stamps. Depending on how long until you get the new PP they may wave the fine. You have the 15 days before and 7 days after window. Will your new PP be back by then?

Thanks. I won't get the new passport until late October/early November and my 90-day report is due 24 September. I just tried again online and will wait to see what happens. In worst case, I'll do an in-person report and deal with what happens then.

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is it not illegal to be in the country without possession of your passport?

I can't be as the US Embassy regularly issues passport renewals by mail in Thailand through the post - and you're required to send in your current passport with the application.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikeh said:

I can't be as the US Embassy regularly issues passport renewals by mail in Thailand through the post - and you're required to send in your current passport with the application.

From the US Embassy webpage.    Your US passport is your most reliable form of identification and certain countries require that form of identification to be on foreign travellers during their entire stay. If you're in such a place, it's best to keep your passport on you to avoid hassle or potential legal issues.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, mikeh said:

I have a copy of the approved online report from March of this year and the exit and reentry stamps from an overseas trip in June of this year.

If I understand your timeline correctly then you must file your 90-day report in person after making an int'l trip. 

It's not tied to an extension of stay.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, mikeh said:

Bit off topic, but very strange sending USA passport for renewal process (using mail) is required.

AU citizens do not do this. The existing pp is not posted with the other docs. 

BTW for others...I did this few months back and it took 20 days from post to return 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, mikeh said:

Hope someone has had this experience and can help. I applied online for a new US passport by mail and had to send my current passport along with the application. On the same day I did my 90-day report online - correct number of days in advance of the due date - and it was rejected. Tried again the next day and it was rejected again. This was not my first time reporting online with this retirement extension. I've contacted immigration and they referred me to a police helpdesk email - and they haven't replied. My problem is that I don't have my actual passport (and won't for several weeks) and I need to do a 90-day report. I do have a photocopy of the data page and the page with my retirement extension and last exit/re-entry stamps. Will this be enough to do a 90-day report in person? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hate to state the obvious, but you should have made sure you 90 day was accepted before sending off your passport.  That is exactly what I did.  Cleared my 90 report, got my receipt, and then mailed out the passport that week.  As mentioned above, try to mail it in, and if that doesn't work, then you just learned a 2000 THB lesson - you won't do that again.  :thumbsup:

Fyi - once you get your passport back, you'll need to do your first 90 day in person if your passport number changes like they do in US passports, ie, the new passport number isn't in the system. 

2 hours ago, mikeh said:

I have an email from the US Embassy acknowledging receipt of my passport renewal application.

The reason for rejection of my online 90-day report:  "For first-time requests of a 90-day notification in each country visit, in-person presentation at the immigration office is required." This was not my first time with this retirement extension - I have a copy of the approved online report from March of this year and the exit and reentry stamps from an overseas trip in June of this year. (I tried the online application twice and was rejected twice - on day 15 and day 14 before the reporting date). I'll try it again now just to see.

Prior to renewing my US passport this year, I have had three online 90 day reports rejected.  No reason given. On one it was: "No valid arrival date."  I've submitted them and was approved before using the arrival date in 2009?  Why the change? The immigration officer simply refused to follow-up to find out why. 
:mellow: "Can you check with Bangkok and track the reason for my 90 day being rejected."
:biggrin: "No.  No can." 

So there ya go.  "No can!"  I bet that they can though, they just don't want to.

Edited by connda

2 hours ago, mikeh said:

That is saying your 1st 90 day report after (re)entering Thailand must be done in person/via mail so I'm guessing you've been outside of Thailand since you last did a report online. 

Lots of people (including myself) have experienced the same thing this year despite successfully doing online reports after re-entering Thailand in the past (last year) 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

That is saying your 1st 90 day report after (re)entering Thailand must be done in person/via mail so I'm guessing you've been outside of Thailand since you last did a report online. 

Lots of people (including myself) have experienced the same thing this year despite successfully doing online reports after re-entering Thailand in the past (last year) 

Thanks for that. I now understand that in-person is the only option. I'll give it a try with the photocopies I have.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, mikeh said:

The reason for rejection of my online 90-day report:  "For first-time requests of a 90-day notification in each country visit, in-person presentation at the immigration office is required." This was not my first time with this retirement extension - I have a copy of the approved online report from March of this year and the exit and reentry stamps from an overseas trip in June of this year.

Correct, if you make an overseas trip and miss the due date of a report, you must make the next one in person 90 days after entering so they can reset the clock.

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Correct, if you make an overseas trip and miss the due date of a report, you must make the next one in person 90 days after entering so they can reset the clock.

This issue has occured in recent months. 

It's tied up with immigration trying to sync online reporting with address report.

Personally haven't been doing TM47 due to frequent travel.

Suggest that those that take trip outside of Thailand to make report via mail after return at 75 day mark.

Last resort skip the whole nonsense and pay 2000b at next extension.

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

Strange, because my local office scans the passport with their passport scanner.

I meant that they didn't stamp it ir make notation. Im sure they could enter the number manually.

Edited by Chadnik

16 hours ago, mikeh said:

I'll give it a try with the photocopies I have.

Assuming they accept your filing 'this time' remember that you will also have to file your next 90-day report in person as you have a new passport.

The rejection of online filings AFTER, and the requirement to file in person,  returning from an int'l trip has been around for a year-ish.

Consider making an appointment as the 90-day desk is normally quite busy.

Generally speaking (for CW) it may be a good idea to make an appointment ~ -28 days (window is - 30 max) out as insurance against rejections from online in the -14 day window.  Then cancel the appointment if approved online. 

12 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

And where would they staple the receipt?

Perhaps, dunno hand it to you like they've done to me the last 13 years.

You're suggesting this can't be done bc the IO can't staple the form to the passport? Alllrighty then...

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Assuming they accept your filing 'this time' remember that you will also have to file your next 90-day report in person as you have a new passport.

The rejection of online filings AFTER, and the requirement to file in person,  returning from an int'l trip has been around for a year-ish.

Consider making an appointment as the 90-day desk is normally quite busy.

Generally speaking (for CW) it may be a good idea to make an appointment ~ -28 days (window is - 30 max) out as insurance against rejections from online in the -14 day window.  Then cancel the appointment if approved online. 

Thanks - I've made an appointment and will take it from theree.