5 Former Defence Secretaries Urge UK to Allow Ukraine to Use Long Range Missiles

Social Media

25 minutes ago, James105 said:

Jeez these psychopaths are determined to escalate this into something bigger.   How about being radical and seeking de-escalation and peace negotiations instead of keeping the war going.   

Yes, but someone somewhere is making a killing (no pun intended), usually arms manufacturers and bankers!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Isn't it obvious that as soon as one country approves using their weapons for long range attacks. That others will follow. War is money and selling weapons during a war is very profitable. It's no wonder these people are trying to convince their country to allow using their weapons this way. I would bet my hat that some probably have a vested interest in weapons manufacturing or sales. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Great way to escalate this to the point that Putin sees nuclear weapons as the only was of stopping the Ukraine. 

The former UK Defence Secretaries probably don't understand that World War I started after a foreigner was assassinated and grew from there.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, James105 said:

How long is too long for you for this to go on for?

Another 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Forever?  

Do you want UK and US troops to be involved?  Maybe a nuclear bomb or 2?   How much money do you think is too much?  another $100bn?  $1tn?  $10tn?  

If you don't want this to continue forever what do you suggest to stop it? I don't particularly care if someone is considered a 'winner' as I am not a child and think there are better things to do with these resources.   Unless the western military get involved (which would be a ridiculous waste of life and money) then it will be a forever stand off.  Yes some lines might get redrawn and some people will have to swap one corrupt leader for another but at least they will live.   

My suggestion to save lives and stop wasting money is to stop funding it.   What is yours?  

Why?

It is NOT your country to give away.

The trouble with using nuclear weapons is that NOBODY on either side wins.

If one side claims a win their country will be devastated and nobody will be able to live there for many decades. There will be no food, no uncontaminated water, no transport, no roads, no hospitals, in fact there will be nothing worth salvaging.

There may be the odd pocket or 2 of survivors but the whole world will be affected.

All the politicians etc in their hardened bunker will still be in power, but they will have power over nothing.

I suspect that even Putin knows that.

I also believe that all the militaries know that by firing the first nuclear, they are signing their own death warrants.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, James105 said:

How long is too long for you for this to go on for?

Another 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Forever?  

Do you want UK and US troops to be involved?  Maybe a nuclear bomb or 2?   How much money do you think is too much?  another $100bn?  $1tn?  $10tn?  

If you don't want this to continue forever what do you suggest to stop it? I don't particularly care if someone is considered a 'winner' as I am not a child and think there are better things to do with these resources.   Unless the western military get involved (which would be a ridiculous waste of life and money) then it will be a forever stand off.  Yes some lines might get redrawn and some people will have to swap one corrupt leader for another but at least they will live.   

My suggestion to save lives and stop wasting money is to stop funding it.   What is yours?  

You may not be a child - neither am I - but imo it is childish - naive at best - to imply that winning is unimportant when it comes to war: Whatever the eventual outcome of this war, there will have been human, economic and political costs for both sides, however, one side will lose more than the other.

This will not be a 'forever' war. At some point, one side will back down. When will that be? I have no idea. Do I think that NATO troops should be deployed on the ground? Frankly, I don't know. (Limited) nuclear war? I suppose that it is possible. MAD? Imo extremely unlikely. Economics  undoubtedly plays a part in wars and - if the apparent military stalemate continues - economics will probably dictate when this war ends. From the West's perspective, should we consider that stage to have already been reached? Imo, no.

The implication that the only consequence of submitting to Russian demands wrt Ukraine will be the latter replacing one corrupt leadership with another is naive. A Russian victory in Ukraine will have lasting and widespread repercussions. There will be a change in the balance of power in Europe. Putin believes that Russia's 'sphere of influence' extends to its' neighbouring states. Putin will be emboldened and may start to make demands of the Baltic States. What then?

And what of the wider implications? A victory for Russia is a de facto defeat for the US. Do you not think that China is looking on with interest and evaluating what implications this might have for their actions in Taiwan/ the South China Sea.

War is bad. It should be avoided. However, unfortunately sometimes it is necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't suppose anyone's given thought to the possibility that the best thing for Ukraine right now would be a cease fire, even with the current lines intact.  That would allow them years to rebuild their capabilities and go after Russia when they're ready.

Of course, they may also look at what happened to Germany when they came back after the Armistice and after they had rebuilt...

13 hours ago, Social Media said:

Similarly, Wallace expressed the view that Britain risks "falling behind into the pack of ditherers, appeasers, and delayers" if immediate action isn't taken,

Better then being a nuke target! Russian will use them.

• Haha 2