Tourism Minister Aims to Levy 300-Baht Fee for Visitors

webfact

2 hours ago, impulse said:

So do it already, just be quiet about it.  Nobody will notice a $9 increase in airline ticket prices.  And if that's a deal killer for them, are they the kind of tourist you want?

They may be wonderful people.  But not likely to move the needle with sweaty tourist money.

Do you really think that airlines want to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars extra a year in collecting taxes and processing them on behalf of a foreign government?

It's not as simple as 'add $9'. There will then be lots of software and extra staff resources needed to administer it on the airline side. 

Edited by RandolphGB
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, impulse said:

They already collect a tax.  It'll take a staffer all of 5 minutes to change in the system the amount they collect, and another staffer 5 minutes a month to make sure it goes out to the right department of the gub'ment.

You clearly have no idea of business accounting in multinational companies. Or the Thai Revenue Department.

Edited by RandolphGB
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

At least a couple of large influential airline/industry associations, the two largest GDSs and several large airlines already told them in no uncertain terms they will not collect it, particularly if it is applied differently (or at all) based on citizenship. In fact the move by the industry towards offer/order sales and the proliferation of a large number of new channels for sales/distribution means that an industry wide application is almost impossible.

2 comment to that. 

1) The airlines don't dictate Thai tax policy or law.  They'll either comply, or they lose their Thai landing rights.  No airline is going to leave Thailand for $9 a ticket and a simple system adjustment.  Countries change their tourism tax rates all the time.

2) There's no reason they'd need to discriminate by nationality.  They could charge everyone the same tax and Thailand could refund the tax to the citizens, at an airport kiosk or on their tax return.  Just show your Int'l boarding pass.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Wasn't this money supposed to be used for health insurance fees for foreigners? Isn't that what they first touted it as? Now, it disappears into the black hole of "infrastructure development."

Nice lapse of memory for TAT... now it's only for infrastructure and entertainment.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Rolo89 said:

Is it rapid to get through immigration if paid in advance? 

Well, it's certainly a lot quicker as you are not in a queue waiting to obtain your visa.

The arrival and departure card etc. can now be done online in advance, and you can install an app to your phone to show immigration that you have complied with everything, which they will scan.

So, yes, a lot quicker.

Edited by Scouse123

25 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

If I recall correctly, this is the problem that derailed the fee last time.  Thais do NOT want to pay to enter their own country and airlines will not apply different fees to passengers based on nationality.

Not a problem.  Stick 10 ATM looking machines by the luggage carousels.  Scan your Int'l boarding pass and the machine spits out 300 baht.  The QR code on the boarding pass tells them who it is, and whether they qualify for the tax rebate.  

These government is just a money grabbing government they’re trying every which way to get money they want to tax the expense. They are here living full-time now the tax for people coming or 300 doesn’t sound a lot. We multiply times 14 million or something money hungry yeah I remember when the money I remember when the money was going for the Health Insurance now that the virus is finished I wonder who’s gonna be pocketing the Money TIT

• Confused 1

Just now, KannikaP said:

Is business class really 18 x economy? Never ever thought about Business, can't afford it.

I fly in from China.  Typical $250-350 R/T.  I don't know what a business ticket from Europe costs, but I imagine it's around $5K R/T.   

Post Covid, the airfares from China are half what they were.  The downside is limited flight selection and no non-stops from my town.  I've slept in a few airports when there was no transit hotel.

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

I fly in from China.  Typical $250-350 R/T.  I don't know what a business ticket from Europe costs, but I imagine it's around $5K R/T.   

Post Covid, the airfares from China are half what they were.  The downside is limited flight selection and no non-stops from my town.  I've slept in a few airports when there was no transit hotel.

Please send my regards to comrade Xi, the next time you are in China. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Originally given the green light by the cabinet in 2022, the tax still awaits its official nod in the Royal Gazette. Travellers flying into Thailand will face a 300-baht charge, while those arriving by sea or land will pay 150 baht.

So, in practice - how would arrivals pay this? Included in ticket price? (what about those who bought tickets before this is coming into effect?) Pay in cash at the counter before reaching immigration? (in which currency? will passengers need to exchange to THB at rip off rates at the airport?) Pay to check-in counter at another country's airport? (what if passenger is just transiting?) Pay by card at counter after arrival? (what about those who don't have credit cards?) What would happen to an arrival who can't pay for whatever reason (say communication failure of some 90+ year old speaking not a word of Thai or English or anything immigration can master)?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2