Who on earth uses pagers?

Celsius

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Why does Hezbollah use pagers?
Hezbollah has relied heavily on pagers as a low-tech means of communications to try to evade location-tracking by Israel.

A pager is a wireless telecommunications device that receives and displays alphanumeric or voice messages.

Mobile phones have long since been abandoned as simply too vulnerable, as Israel’s assassination of the Hamas bomb-maker Yahya Ayyash demonstrated as long ago as 1996, when his phone exploded in his hand.

But one Hezbollah operative told the AP news agency that the pagers were a new brand that the group had not used before.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cz04m913m49o

You beat me to it.

Anyway, any device that has a battery and downloads updates from the internet is vulnerable. It's going to be a huge problem for security services.

I imagine Hamas will find an alternative shortly, as every country's boffins will be working overtime to find a solution.

This was a one time event and it was used too soon IMO. Imagine if israel had done that at the same time as invading Lebanon- it would have been a rout.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You beat me to it.

Anyway, any device that has a battery and downloads updates from the internet is vulnerable. It's going to be a huge problem for security services.

I imagine Hamas will find an alternative shortly, as every country's boffins will be working overtime to find a solution.

This was a one time event and it was used too soon IMO. Imagine if israel had done that at the same time as invading Lebanon- it would have been a rout.

It's not about the batteries. They would get uncomfortably hot before they exploded.

• Agree 2

Yes I doubt it was the battery exploding   more likely the devices where intercepted  on route from the factory and modified with high explosives....The other scenario that they can effectively blow up any device with a lithium battery at will is very much more concerning for everyone not just the "terrorist"

16 hours ago, johng said:

Yes I doubt it was the battery exploding   more likely the devices where intercepted  on route from the factory and modified with high explosives....The other scenario that they can effectively blow up any device with a lithium battery at will is very much more concerning for everyone not just the "terrorist"

The logistics of doing it that way without being exposed are immense.

For a start organisations like Hezbollah will be aware of such attempts and check some of them while new. Adding explosive will make them heavier.

Occam's razor says it was using the battery, IMO.

The latest exploders are a wide variety of devices. Are you saying all the devices ever made have added explosives just on the off chance of being used by Hezbollah?

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The logistics of doing it that way without being exposed are immense.

For a start organisations like Hezbollah will be aware of such attempts and check some of them while new. Adding explosive will make them heavier.

Occam's razor says it was using the battery, IMO.

The latest exploders are a wide variety of devices. Are you saying all the devices ever made have added explosives just on the off chance of being used by Hezbollah?

The NY Times refutes your IMO but I'm not interested in getting more paywall! PAYWALL! hoots.

10 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

They were made by an Israeli shell company in Europe.

I think the trigger mechanism is relative  simple. Mossad made an identical battery, except half was filled with explosive. The new battery had its own micro circuit board and was set to explode when XYZ message was received. 

That's fine, but how do you explain the latest exploders that were a wide variety of devices?

They can't all have been made by a shell israeli company.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What about the reported exploding laptops?

No mention in NY Times, Ap,  or Reuters of exploding laptops.

BTW from Reuters:

Several experts who spoke with Reuters said they doubted the battery alone would have been enough to cause the blasts.

Paul Christensen, an expert in lithium ion battery safety at Newcastle University, said the damage seemed inconsistent with past cases of such batteries failing.

"What we're talking about is a relatively small battery bursting into flames. We're not talking of a fatal explosion here...my intuition is telling me that it's highly unlikely," he said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/what-we-know-so-far-about-deadly-pager-blasts-lebanon-2024-09-17/

Edited by jerrymahoney

16 hours ago, candide said:

It's nearly not a joke! It has been found that Islamic suicide bombers often weared several underpants in order to protect their genitals, for the reason evoked in this picture! 😀

They wear underpants under their skirts?

I am surprised.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

BTW from Reuters:

Several experts who spoke with Reuters said they doubted the battery alone would have been enough to cause the blasts.

Paul Christensen, an expert in lithium ion battery safety at Newcastle University, said the damage seemed inconsistent with past cases of such batteries failing.

"What we're talking about is a relatively small battery bursting into flames. We're not talking of a fatal explosion here...my intuition is telling me that it's highly unlikely," he said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/what-we-know-so-far-about-deadly-pager-blasts-lebanon-2024-09-17/

Seems not everyone agree with your "expert". Apparently he wasn't able to use google.

https://au.pcmag.com/mobile-phones/89111/exploding-phones-why-it-happens-how-to-prevent-it

Sometimes smartphones explode. In January 2023, an iPhone 4 caught fire while charging overnight. A child in India was killed when a Redmi Note 5 Pro reportedly blew up in her face. In July, a man's phone exploded on an Air India flight, causing an emergency landing.

24 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Why am I not surprised?

Please note what comes between walkie-talkies, and radios in my quote,

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/9/18/more-devices-exploding-across-lebanon-whats-happening

One day after thousands of pagers exploded across Lebanon, more explosions of handheld devices, including walkie-talkies, laptops and radios, have killed at least 14 people and injured 450.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends on the proximity of the explosion to one's brain or a vital organ.

The vast majority were only wounded.

Says our explosion expert.

The location of the device has nothing to do with the force of the explosion.

• Sad 1