Teamsters’ Neutral Stance: A Blow to Harris and a Challenge for Trump

Social Media

image.png

For the first time since 1996, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, one of the most influential labor unions in America, has refrained from endorsing a U.S. presidential candidate. This decision marks a significant moment in the political landscape, especially as the union, which represents 1.3 million members across the U.S. and Canada, noted it received "few commitments on top Teamsters issues" from either Kamala Harris, the Democratic nominee, or Donald Trump, the Republican nominee.

The union’s internal polling found "no definitive support" for either candidate, though two recent polls indicated a leaning toward Trump. This lack of endorsement presents a challenge for Harris, particularly as she seeks to win over working-class voters in critical swing states like Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. A potential endorsement could have rallied thousands of Teamsters to support her campaign in these key battlegrounds.

Shortly after the announcement, several regional councils within the Teamsters, representing more than half a million members in states like Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada, and California, announced their endorsement of Harris. The Harris campaign emphasized its broad support from "the overwhelming majority of organized labor" and highlighted the backing of many local Teamsters groups. Campaign spokesperson Lauren Hitt pointed out, "While Donald Trump says striking workers should be fired, Vice-President Harris has literally walked the picket line and stood strong with organized labor for her entire career."

The union's membership, which includes a wide range of workers such as freight drivers, warehouse employees, and airline pilots, is known for its political diversity. Since taking over the union’s executive board in 2022, General President Sean O'Brien has sought to build relationships with both Republicans and Democrats. He has reached out to populist Republicans like Senators Josh Hawley and JD Vance, the latter now being Trump’s running mate.

O’Brien’s efforts to court the Republican Party included a private meeting with Trump at his Mar-a-Lago estate in January, followed by a roundtable with the union’s board in Washington, D.C. After the meeting, Trump expressed confidence, saying he believed he had a "good shot" at earning the union’s endorsement. The Teamsters board also met with President Joe Biden before he withdrew from the race, as well as with third-party candidates Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Cornel West.

In a surprising move, the union made financial contributions to both the Democratic and Republican National Conventions earlier this year, marking its first donation to Republican candidates in years. O'Brien even delivered a prime-time address at the Republican National Convention (RNC), where he called Trump "one tough SOB," though he stopped short of endorsing him. Despite the friendly overtures, O’Brien later criticized Trump and campaign surrogate Elon Musk for suggesting that workers who strike should be fired.

After speaking at the RNC, O’Brien was not invited to address the Democratic convention. Instead, rank-and-file members of the union represented the Teamsters at the event. Some Teamsters members, including the National Black Caucus and six local unions, have openly criticized O’Brien’s outreach to the right, choosing to endorse Harris independently.

In a last-minute effort to win the union’s endorsement, Harris met with the Teamsters board earlier this week in a long-delayed roundtable. The New York Times described the meeting as "sometimes tense," though a union spokesperson disputed that characterization. During the conversation, Harris told the board, “I’m confident I’m going to win this. I want your endorsement, but if I don’t get it, I will treat you exactly as if I had gotten your endorsement.”

The Teamsters' decision to stay neutral in the current election is a major blow to Harris and leaves Trump with a more divided labor landscape than expected.

Credit: BBC 2024-09-20

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png