Wise removes Long Stay Reason on Transfers

15 hours ago, lungbing said:

That's probably because it is the bottom entry on the drop down menu and you didn't scroll down that far.

Why would wise have a specific thing about long-term stay in Thailand on their site I just don't understand it thank God it's been removed what was that for what was the purpose of it for.

• Confused 5

On 9/20/2024 at 8:28 AM, Man Mart said:

I emailed Wise yesterday about the difficulties and implications posed by their actions and requested them to reinstate the relevant phrase on their list. They have asked me to be patient whilst their team investigates the matter. The more people that complain to Wise to reinforce our concerns the better. It is not just  visa issues, but why should Thailand based clients be asked to tell “porkies” concerning purchase of property which may not be the legitimate reason behind any transfer in order to record an FTT transaction!

They have an email address?

I'm a very new Wise sign-up and having issues linking my UK bank. Their app refers me to FAQ that don't address the issue and I have sent a message via the app but so far no response.

If you can share that email address (via PM), it would be appreciated.

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I'm a very new Wise sign-up and having issues linking my UK bank.

You should be adding a new payee to your UK bank account using the Wise account details they sent, which is a UK account.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, arick said:

Why would wise have a specific thing about long-term stay in Thailand on their site I just don't understand it thank God it's been removed what was that for what was the purpose of it for.

You're obviously unaware of the history of this over several years. It's because those of us on particular Thai visas (eg O/A) and who use the 'minimum 65K baht per month' method have to be able to prove - to Immigration's grudging satisfaction - that the funds really did come in from o/s.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, arick said:

It hasn't been removed (at least not for me)  -  I used that drop down option just now.

11 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

It hasn't been removed (at least not for me)  -  I used that drop down option just now.

It was gone for a short while, then returned on Monday (as reported several times in this thread).

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

You're obviously unaware of the history of this over several years. It's because those of us on particular Thai visas (eg O/A) and who use the 'minimum 65K baht per month' method have to be able to prove - to Immigration's grudging satisfaction - that the funds really did come in from o/s.

Yes, I have been using it for the old bloke visa as well where I have to show my bank account has 800k two months before I apply for the extension to stay, I have to prove it came from overseas and so Wise has included the long term option in its reasons for the transfer.

It is shown as an international transfer in my bank statement which I have to produce as proof of funds. 

On 9/23/2024 at 3:05 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

No, you quote one that is accurate as you're the one who made that (false) claim!   It is not illegal for foreigners to buy property in Thailand.

ok you mean condos?

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

It's not on my drop down I only have about seven options surely when you click long stay you need money for a long stay in Thailand surely that brings up the red flags on the international market when you're buying this exotic  currency.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, arick said:

Sometimes it is smarter not to advertise your ignorance.

We all only know what we know - and clearly you need to research the reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, arick said:

It's not on my drop down I only have about seven options surely when you click long stay you need money for a long stay in Thailand surely that brings up the red flags on the international market when you're buying this exotic  currency.

The initial drop down window doesn't show it. You need to scroll down - it is the last item in the "purposes" on the list.

On 9/20/2024 at 5:21 AM, KannikaP said:

So if you do a Wise transfer, and it arrives immediately, has it gone through the SWIFT process at Bank HQ before it arrives in your Branch account. I think not.

Previously (for the past 7 years), clicking Long Stay or Property Purchase added one day onto the transfer time, most other options were instant.

Yes, because the money is already in place (Thailand) so no swift. Re: the topic, I made a transfer yesterday from Sweden to my wife at SCB and there was still the option Money for Long stay. So in my case it was still there.

Be it wise or Currency Fair, it always takes many days to arrive when money is sent from Europe to a Thai Bank account.

However, when it's a few hundred in foreign currency it arrives fast.

But when it's more then a 1000 Euros, it can take many days. As if that at some point, one of the partys involved in the transfer process are first using the money on markets, before releasing the amount to the beneficiary's account,.

51 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

Be it wise or Currency Fair, it always takes many days to arrive when money is sent from Europe to a Thai Bank account.

However, when it's a few hundred in foreign currency it arrives fast.

But when it's more then a 1000 Euros, it can take many days. As if that at some point, one of the partys involved in the transfer process are first using the money on markets, before releasing the amount to the beneficiary's account,.

Not for me Sigmund. last week it was Instant if I put for Family or Friends, one day extra for Property or, as previously, Long Stay, which I believe is back. My next transfer will be on 1st October.

6 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:
On 9/23/2024 at 3:05 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

No, you quote one that is accurate as you're the one who made that (false) claim!   It is not illegal for foreigners to buy property in Thailand.

ok you mean condos?

Houses, also.

• Agree 2