Why do some Farang worry so much about Thailand being too =hot=?

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

In the sticks in Texas is where the people who have money live. I lived there 32 years, worked outside in 100 degree heat, and watched thousands do the same. It's the same everywhere. 

Yeah 37 aint hot, guess thats you watched thousands working outside.... weird kink I must say !

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Yeah 37 aint hot, guess thats you watched thousands working outside.... weird kink I must say !

37 is damn hot when you're working outside. I helped a relative building decks outside, and its not fun. I came here and understood what Thais go through working outside in the heat when I helped my ex's family and now my girlfriend's on the farm.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm one of those idiots...  I came out here for work...  made lots of friends, ended up staying...    Worked in the the UK for a couple of years, but the all year round humidity and heat here is better than half a year horrible  miserable wet and dingy cold and damp in the UK. 

The issue I have here is with the humidity...   

In the Summer months in the UK its great to be outside...  BBQ's, working in the garden, working on a car or motorcycle etc...

... Here in Thailand I change the battery on my Motorcycle and I'm drenched wet through in sweat and exhausted after 20 mins !!!... 

... Here in Thailand, I stand outside for a BBQ and want to be in AC, so consequenctly I hardly BBQ...

... Here in Thailand the workmen are so rubbish I renovated the shelves in the Bathroom myself, paintstripping them, sanding them down, keying them, base layer, over coats... It was exhausting work which in the UK I wouldn't have battered an eye at.

The humidity here is just draining, yes, I chose to live here, but that does not mean all aspects of Thailand are wonderful - there are plenty of pro's and a number of cons...     the humidity is something I get fed up of. 

Working outside seems to be for the lower class workers.

Yes, it is to hot even for the Thai. Do you regularly see chikdren playing outside. Not where I live. Maybe on higher grounds where it is a bit cooler.

My first years in Thailand were the worst but I have adapted gradually, but still, 30 C is kind of a breaking point.

Edited by DD86

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm one of those idiots...  I came out here for work...  made lots of friends, ended up staying...    Worked in the the UK for a couple of years, but the all year round humidity and heat here is better than half a year horrible  miserable wet and dingy cold and damp in the UK. 

The issue I have here is with the humidity...   

In the Summer months in the UK its great to be outside...  BBQ's, working in the garden, working on a car or motorcycle etc...

... Here in Thailand I change the battery on my Motorcycle and I'm drenched wet through in sweat and exhausted after 20 mins !!!... 

... Here in Thailand, I stand outside for a BBQ and want to be in AC, so consequenctly I hardly BBQ...

... Here in Thailand the workmen are so rubbish I renovated the shelves in the Bathroom myself, paintstripping them, sanding them down, keying them, base layer, over coats... It was exhausting work which in the UK I wouldn't have battered an eye at.

The humidity here is just draining, yes, I chose to live here, but that does not mean all aspects of Thailand are wonderful - there are plenty of pro's and a number of cons...     the humidity is something I get fed up of. 

I can relate ... as it can definitely get to you at times.  And I'm a bit south, so feels like 40+C for a month, isn't strange at all.  Even last work location in USA, would hit 38+/- for a month, and humid.  Worked outside, and needed a shirt or 3 to stay dry, during the work shift.  After a wave of flights, soaked w/sweat.

But some folks simply complain a bit too much, and probably should have chose another spot to retire.   I accepted it was the tropic, though a bit more than I actually thought would be.  Down here / PKK, as Udon had half year on no brutal heat, even a bit nippy for  month.

Pros far outweigh the cons here / TH.   I do the same here, as I did for a few months every year at Memphis USA, when not at work.   AC house to AC car to AC vendor.   Only plus with Memphis, they pretty much didn't have a winter.  Bummer about no show.  But living in PA, NJ, MI, WV and it was heated house to heated car to heated vendor :cheesy:  At least there we had snow to play in.

Spring & autumn always lovely, as it has been here this past week, and next week.   Heavy overcast and don't even need the ACs overnight.  Actually have to use the water heaters.

Happy Relaxing ... in the shade with a breeze ... hopefully.

24 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

37 is damn hot when you're working outside. I helped a relative building decks outside, and its not fun. I came here and understood what Thais go through working outside in the heat when I helped my ex's family and now my girlfriend's on the farm.

Production floor at my place of employment... never below 50 degrees.

37 is cool !

57 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

In the sticks in Texas is where the people who have money live. I lived there 32 years, worked outside in 100 degree heat, and watched thousands do the same. It's the same everywhere. People move to the hot areas and stay inside most of the time. I worked and lived, all around San Antonio, visited Houston, Dallas and other big cities, and never had any trouble. I lived in New Jersey, 15 miles from NYC, for 30 years. Worked and visited NYC and boroughs all that time, and never had any trouble . There of course is trouble in all big cities, but it's not what people think it is. More people are hurt here in 5 on 1 ,knifings, and intentional homicides than back in the US, although people do believe all they hear on videos and don't hear but a tiny fraction of what goes on here daily. I would not walk late at night anywhere in any big cities because that's inviting disaster. Unless of course I was armed.

IMO the safest big city I have been is Tokyo, Japan. I was in Kabukicho at 2 am, felt very safe.

I got the impression it would be a national disgrace if a foreigner was molested in any way.

Just now, Lacessit said:

IMO the safest big city I have been is Tokyo, Japan. I was in Kabukicho at 2 am, felt very safe.

I got the impression it would be a national disgrace if a foreigner was molested in any way.

Unless they get tricked into going into one of those ‘girl bars’…  & are forced to buy the girl a drink at an extortionate rate & don’t want to pay it !!! 

& on the hot n humid subject - Japan in the summer is no fun !!! 

4 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Jeez what a ramble. Are you Donald Trump?

Hong Kong is not hotter than Thailand. Bangkok is the hottest capital city in the world (source WGO). Also, H.K. is 2000 Kms further from the equator than BKK.

I do not know why...

But, HK feels hotter than Thailand when walking in the city of HK.

By comparison, Chiang Mai is far much more comfortable.

Maybe it's the humidity of being so close to the harbor, and maybe it is the increased heat-island effect of HK Island.

I do not know.

All I know is that CM is more comfortable than HK.....for sure, ...especially this time of year.

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

70,000 BTU will cool a 4000 sq.ft house, how big your gaff there gammaglobby ?

I have a small house.

I would say 1200 square feet, but have not measured it, precisely.

It's plenty big for one person.

And, I can get the temp down much lower with a smaller house.

A few days ago, a Thai couple came to visit me.

After 5 minutes in my house, the wife had to go outside to warm up.

She could not take the cold.

She just waited outside, and would not come back indoors.

It's colder than Seven, maybe....

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I have a small house.

I would say 1200 square feet, but have not measured it, precisely.

It's plenty big for one person.

And, I can get the temp down much lower with a smaller house.

A few days ago, a Thai couple came to visit me.

After 5 minutes in my house, the wife had to go outside to warm up.

She could not take the cold.

She just waited outside, and would not come back indoors.

It's colder than Seven, maybe....

How often do you go outside? If used to Aircon that much it must be a struggle.

17 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Why do some Farang worry so much about Thailand being too =hot=?

Why do some Farangs worry so much about other farangs in Thailand if they’re worried about being too =hot=?

5 hours ago, MarkBR said:

I could imagine having a brilliant long conversation in a pub with yourself, GG, and few others with lots of good ales & lagers.  Now mind is going to good pubs in Britain.  The most important thing it has contributed to humanity.

Please consider volunteering at a seniors living facility or at a mental health facility. The residents benefit from having someone who will sit and listen. One need not have special training, or even intelligence. All that one need be is a good listener as you seem to indicate that you are. Kindness and compassion are admirable qualities.