Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

On 10/11/2024 at 9:28 AM, chiang mai said:

The trolling by you three has been going on for months and is getting real old, real fast, it takes any enjoyment out of trying to participate and help folks with tax questions. You're having too much fun to quit or to leave so I guess the only way to escape it and preserve the discussion on tax is for me to go, which appears to be what you want. The last time I quit the forum was about seven years ago, because of trolls and idiots, it seems that some things here never change.

I hope you feel proud of your achievements. 

Jumping in a little late here, but it seems very obvious to me (deleted)

Edited by TroubleandGrumpy

19 hours ago, chiang mai said:

And you know what, its always the same three or four people, you and three others, the rest of the membership is silent, why is that?

I am just get back involved in this thread as the topics became repetitive and boring, but this does interest me.  Question - how do you know about (deleted)

Edited by TroubleandGrumpy
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I am just get back involved in this thread as the topics became repetitive and boring, but this does interest me.  Question - how do you know about the issues ML with 3/4 posters?

Did you not read the mods request and then warning?

If you have a beef can you do it by PM please as it is just distracting from any other possible pertinent info . Thanks.

On 10/11/2024 at 1:51 AM, K2938 said:

Any views on the likelihood of Thailand actually going ahead with the announced plan to not only tax remitted, but global income regardless of remittance?  Thanks.

IMO it will happen, but only for Thai Citizens and Permanent Residents - as is the case with most other modern countries. What has been happening is that wealthy Thais have been 'making money' overseas through investments, and then prior to this year they paid no income taxes when they brought the money into Thailand - thus the rule change. Those wealthy Thais have put plans in place to circumvent this new rule, and TRD sees this move to global taxation as a way to reduce their ability to avoid income taxes here. 

But will Thailand screw it up and not ensure it only applies to Citizens and Residents - perhaps and probably. I am hopeful that the new PT Govt will have more 'business acumen' that the previous idiots, and realise that if they want foreign firms to invest here in the future, they must not tax the global income of the executives of foreign companies that work here.

I also think that the wealthy Thais will be using the family 'gifts' tax exemption (as have some Expats) to avoid income taxes, and that will probably be reviewed in the future too. 

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, topt said:

Did you not read the mods request and then warning?

If you have a beef can you do it by PM please as it is just distracting from any other possible pertinent info . Thanks.

Obviously not - I wrote .... quote "I am just get back involved in this thread as the topics became repetitive and boring,"  You are boring me again.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ricohoc said:

This makes more sense.

"Spending isn't taxable."

Seriously?  That really makes sense to you? 

So it doesn't matter how/where the money came from as long as it's spent then it's not taxable?

I give up trying to even begin to explain it so have at it... 

• Agree 1

Thank you Mike, for all your hard work here.  What’s is the ‘feeling’ on how inherited money (UK family estate) will be viewed under the WW Tax. What I’ve sourced suggests if estate (legacy) is under 100M THB (£2M GBP) then no tax would apply. Would you agree?  

38 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

I don't think it's possible as a bank needs the account holder's tax bracket. Withheld income tax of earned interest I think is just a flat percent regardless of tax bracket. 

I agree with you based on what I am reading today, but . . . 

TIT.  They could tax it at the highest rate and then force you to claw an amount back with proof when you file.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Ricohoc said:

I agree with you based on what I am reading today, but . . . 

TIT.  They could tax it at the highest rate and then force you to claw an amount back with proof when you file.

That's a scenario that is beyond paranoia!