Re-Entry Permit - Don Mueang: after passport control?

This may sound bizarre as I've literally never given it any thought before given I've always had a Re-Entry permit in my passport before exiting Thailand previously.  For some reason I'd always thought that not having the permit in your passport before going through Immigration Passport Control would lead to your Extension being invalidated.  Having checked through and seen multiple posts that the Permit desk is AFTER Passport Control it twigged that it's not passing through Immigration to leave Thailand without the Permit that cancels your Extension, it's boarding the flight and then trying to get back in without one that does it.

I've seen multiple posts about there never being any queues for the Permit and, while I'd rather have the Permit in my passport before going, I really can't be asked to trek to Immigration at Chaeng Wattana, I'm assuming nothing has changed at DM Airport?  How is DM these days? Horrendous check-in queues still or have they got their act together since the chaos of Covid?

Lucky I checked too, seems one has to do an online digital arrival card for Malaysia (MDAC) now too, would have missed that one!

28 minutes ago, SooKee said:

I've seen multiple posts about there never being any queues for the Permit and, while I'd rather have the Permit in my passport before going, I really can't be asked to trek to Immigration at Chaeng Wattana, I'm assuming nothing has changed at DM Airport

Nothing has changed regarding reentry permit.

You can see reentry permit desk just past passport control.

On one of occasion I had solid que however they processed super fast.

For 200b service fee they will do the TM8+ photo etc.

Multi is 3800

Single is 1000 

Plus service fee if you opt for that.

By far best option over obtaining at CW

Re immigration ques I have had two trips from DMK in August and was very light traffic. 

Re exiting and forgetting to obtain reentry permit in my experience over the years the immigration officer has always reminded me. Not that I needed it. 

Pretty stupid thing to do. 

A 'she wii  be right'or'ignorancia non excuse' x 2, it seems.Your not unique. I,ve an aged oz mate, here15.yrs, who constantly mucks up coming and going, misses dates to leave,apply for extensions, lets licences expire etc etc.  We have all given up on reminding him.

39 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Nothing has changed regarding reentry permit.

You can see reentry permit desk just past passport control.

On one of occasion I had solid que however they processed super fast.

For 200b service fee they will do the TM8+ photo etc.

Multi is 3800

Single is 1000 

Plus service fee if you opt for that.

By far best option over obtaining at CW

Re immigration ques I have had two trips from DMK in August and was very light traffic. 

Re exiting and forgetting to obtain reentry permit in my experience over the years the immigration officer has always reminded me. Not that I needed it. 

Pretty stupid thing to do. 

Cheers.  The TM8 / photo is already done, planned to do a Permit when I renewed my Extension at CW 5 months ago, just wasn't certain we'd go and I'd wasted one already the year before.  No idea why I had it in my head that it needed to be in the passport before being stamped out, like I say, never had to give it any thought before.

I definitely wouldn't forget, just making the point that it's not obtaining one that will cause problems, not being stamped out without one (e.g. the problem doesn't arise on exit, it arises on on re-entry).  I'm mildly paranoid about the day I go Immigration will have a complete systems outage and can't for some reason do one 😞  I'd imagine they could do an emergency / temporary paper version in that case.  Yes I agree, anything but CW, once a year is more than enough!

Edited by SooKee
  • Thumbs Up 1