Thailand Delays Automated Entry System for Foreign Tourists

webfact

2 hours ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

I come to Thailand for 5.5 to 6 months each winter. It took 8 weeks to get an METV last year and 7 weeks the year before. I'm already closing in on 5 weeks this year with no response yet, and getting really frustrated with the system.

I do the same but use two TR60 E-visas (September and January) plus extensions - I pop home for Xmas/New Year to avoid the peak season madness!

I've never waited more than a week for the visa, and the rquirements are becoming simpler every year - e.g. I did not have to submit a copy of my lease on my latest application a month ago.

Edited by London Lowf

1 hour ago, Peabody said:

You are not as devious as some!  🙂

Could one use somebody else's QR and passport to enter under a different name (or would the QR and gates be linked to fingerprint info)? 

There is biometric data in passports. Fingerprint + facial features.

• Thumbs Up 1

I (Brit) got through immigration in under 5 mins back in June, not sure how much faster they think they can make it.  Visa on arrival, no fast track or anything - it was my first time in a couple of years, kind of hoped it was the new normal.

Of course it took 5 hours to get my visa bumped another 30 days, so you can't win them all.

1 minute ago, theritchie2 said:

I (Brit) got through immigration in under 5 mins back in June, not sure how much faster they think they can make it.  Visa on arrival, no fast track or anything - it was my first time in a couple of years, kind of hoped it was the new normal.

Of course it took 5 hours to get my visa bumped another 30 days, so you can't win them all.

Probably visa waiver, but yes if you land it right there can be negligible or even no queues.  Other times they can be down the ramp to the main concourse.

It has nothing to do with their system, it has to do with how will they get the money from every tourist, and anyone coming into Thailand.  [ Expats that retired & those that work here, are all called tourist].

Sadly, eventually those that pay taxes here, when that  materialized, for people bringing money into Thailand, and residing for more than 180 days, same boat. The funny thing of this all, one get's nothing from Thailand, not even a discount on medical cost. 

They would not sell foreigners land, let then keep it and see who buys it, the 1% that owns 90% of the land here, as most lay person here, cannot afford to buy.

After all, nobody really knows ETA(estimated time of arrival) of the  Electronic Travel Authorization.

Various political manifests  by the Pheu Thai govt now...

Looks like an airport flight status board during the stormy weather.

image.png.cd9283fa7a175e89bd36f953d8e371c5.png

Edited by black tabby12345
  • Haha 1

This whole thing is just so strange. There is already a system that checks your fingerprints and photo for criminal records/Interpol records. Its called AFIS (Automated Biometric Identification System). As far as I know it has been rolled out to almost every country already.

So what is it exactly that they want to know with this new ETA system? And if people who have valid visas dont need to do an ETA, what kind of information is submitted in the visa application that is impossible to access through your passport, flight tickets and travel bookings? All the immigration officers need to do is ask you to present them, which they already do.

• Agree 1

On 9/25/2024 at 8:46 AM, watchcat said:
On 9/25/2024 at 8:13 AM, brianthainess said:

So will it be necessary for everyone to have a smart phone ?

Sounds like it, but I'll never get one, still have an old Nokia works for me.

Actually, the QR code is probably something you print and then it gets scanned at the airport by an automated scanner.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Actually, the QR code is probably something you print and then it gets scanned at the airport by an automated scanner.

So not only a smart phone, but you need a printer too, or go elsewhere to print it. 

Who's stoopid idea was it in the first place, automatic gates can just scan a passport, so what is the need or use of it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Philippines has been requiring a qr code for years. It started in COVID, with evidence of Vax, and has continued without that, and with fairly minimal input. It just gets checked at their immigration. Destination address and a few other details. Not a problem.

Be interesting to see how this system works. It is going to need to be able to detect passports from every country in the world. I cant think of any country that has a system that does that. Normally it just reads passports issued by the country you are entering.

50 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Be interesting to see how this system works. It is going to need to be able to detect passports from every country in the world. I cant think of any country that has a system that does that. Normally it just reads passports issued by the country you are entering.

There is a standard agreed format for all passport details pages.

4 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

You don’t know of eta the Basque terrorist group? 
What about IRA (inflation reduction act) …

Or MILF come to that

(Moro Islamic Liberation Front) from the PI.

14 hours ago, theritchie2 said:

luck of the draw, sometimes 5 mins sometimes 50 mins.

Airports with egates I've never waited more than 5 mins. Often all done in 90 seconds.

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

The UK is one of the better countries at it where loads of passports can use the egates for quick entry. It shouldn't be hard with the passports all standardised. 

Screenshot2024-09-26at13_43_38.png.ad497e4b2aa1f56e9e8451e78231efb7.png

On 9/25/2024 at 7:41 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced on Monday that the launch of the nation's highly anticipated automated entry system for foreign tourists has been postponed. Initially scheduled to roll out in December 2024, the Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) system's debut has yet to be determined due to ongoing coordination with relevant agencies.

The ETA system aims to simplify immigration processes for international visitors by allowing tourists from 93 visa-exempt countries to register online before arriving in Thailand.

These travellers would then receive a QR code upon registration, enabling them to pass through automated immigration gates effortlessly. The ETA system is part of Thailand's broader strategy to transition towards a fully electronic visa system.

Despite the delay, the Foreign Ministry reaffirmed its commitment to implementing the ETA system. It stated that it is currently working closely with other government agencies to finalise the necessary details and ensure the system operates smoothly upon its eventual launch.

The postponement comes as Thailand continues to recover from the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, with tourism being a critical sector for the nation's economy.

Streamlining entry procedures through tools like the ETA system is seen as crucial for attracting more visitors and boosting tourism revenue, reported The Nation.

For now, travellers planning a trip to Thailand should stay informed by keeping an eye on updates from the Foreign Ministry and the Immigration Bureau. These agencies will provide the latest information on the ETA system's new launch date and any interim travel procedures that might be in place.

In summary, while the introduction of Thailand's ETA system is delayed, its importance in facilitating smoother and faster entry for foreign tourists remains clear. The Thai government continues to work diligently to bring this system online, aiming to enhance the overall travel experience for millions of international visitors annually.

TOP File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-25

news-footer-3.png

image.png

Perhaps they should speak to their friends in Malaysia where they have a very efficient system. 

We went through KL earlier this week, the entry pass was easy and quick to download and install and straight through the gates. 

Unfortunately being Thailand they don't need help from outside. 

1 hour ago, Rolo89 said:

The UK is one of the better countries at it where loads of passports can use the egates for quick entry. It shouldn't be hard with the passports all standardised. 

Screenshot2024-09-26at13_43_38.png.ad497e4b2aa1f56e9e8451e78231efb7.png

But only for UK passports and possible EU passports. What about Chinese, Japanese, Arabic passports? They will have slight differences and how will it detect forgeries?

23 hours ago, sungod said:

Because I like being trapped here

Me too - but that's exactly the issue.

Govt might think (because of $) what they possibly could/should do to get more money to come here (which unfortunately requires people to come too). However for some reason they seem to think differently regarding those already here. Why, I not sure; xenophoby probably, or just thai logic.

2 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

That does not account for forgeries. Some copies shall we say would not be detected by a machine despite what you think

And just what do I think? An IO would detect one? I think an AI scanner would for sure detect a forgery. Better than the human eye. Anyway, what the hell do I know? Or anyone else?

2 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

But only for UK passports and possible EU passports. What about Chinese, Japanese, Arabic passports? They will have slight differences and how will it detect forgeries?

How are any forgeries detected? Not by the human eye unless it's a really bad forgery. The sign at BKK said "Foreign passports". It didn't say which. Maybe the chip is what the scanners read? But that's not in the details pages. Ah well...