Ellen DeGeneres, a shameless return to standup that's unfunny

Social Media

image.png

In Ellen DeGeneres’s Netflix special, *For Your Approval*, she addresses the fallout of her talk show’s abrupt end and the backlash surrounding allegations of her off-camera behavior. Despite the potential for self-reflection, DeGeneres instead offers a peculiar, self-pitying performance that feels more like a missed opportunity than a sincere farewell. The special, which she calls her final stand-up appearance, leaves viewers questioning whether she has truly absorbed any lessons from the controversy.

"She sounds like Meghan Markle!"

It all started in 2020 when a Twitter comedian from Los Angeles pledged to donate two dollars for every “insane story” shared about DeGeneres being "mean." The response was overwhelming, with countless stories emerging of her supposed behind-the-scenes behavior. Six hundred dollars later, the queen of daytime television was painted not as a beloved figure, but as something closer to “Satan in sneakers”—a tyrant who hid her true nature behind a smile and a friendly demeanor.

The Intro

Four years later, *The Ellen DeGeneres Show* is off the air, its end precipitated by a workplace misconduct investigation. DeGeneres herself stepped out of the spotlight, admitting to emotions like sadness and frustration, but consistently denied outright cruelty. The whole saga seems like a bizarre conclusion to a storied career in show business, especially for someone who had long symbolized queer visibility and respectability in mainstream America.

One might have expected that DeGeneres would use this moment to truly reflect. After more than three decades in the industry, perhaps she would finally shed the polished, inoffensive persona and offer a more candid take on her experiences. Instead, *For Your Approval* follows a different path. Rather than introspection or vulnerability, the special finds DeGeneres asserting that it was everyone else who got it wrong. In a performance that is, at times, bafflingly unfunny, she casts herself as an unfairly maligned victim.

The special feels artificial, partly due to the fact that the audience seems pre-selected, filled with known supporters. Oprah Winfrey is seen laughing in the crowd, and a huge cheer erupts when DeGeneres mentions her show’s executive producer, Andy Lassner—a figure few people outside her inner circle would recognize. This curated environment suggests that DeGeneres remains insulated from the criticism that ultimately ended her talk show, unable or unwilling to bridge the growing gap between herself and her audience.

Much of the comedy in *For Your Approval* falls flat. DeGeneres leans on familiar, mundane observations, with long bits on parking and windshield wipers that fail to land. But even more frustrating is the way she addresses the controversy head-on. Early in the special, DeGeneres tells the audience, “I got kicked out of show business because I’m mean,” before quickly brushing off the accusation with the quip, “And you can’t be mean and be in show business.” Yet, there’s no attempt to grapple with the reasons behind her fall from grace. Instead, she suggests it’s simply a matter of gendered double standards, where strong-willed men are seen as decisive, while women in positions of power are expected to be kind and accommodating.

DeGeneres declares herself “honest, generous, sensitive, thoughtful... tough, impatient, and demanding,” and the moment feels like a performance in itself—an attempt to reclaim control over her narrative without actually confronting her critics' claims. By the end of the set, the audience is left with the sense that DeGeneres views herself as the real victim, undone by an unfair and fickle public.

The most jarring element of the special is how DeGeneres draws a parallel between her current situation and the period in the late 1990s when she came out as gay and subsequently lost her sitcom. At the time, her career took a nosedive due to widespread homophobia. Now, DeGeneres seems to conflate that period of her life with the backlash she faced recently, as though both were driven by the same forces. This is a strange comparison, as one was undeniably rooted in prejudice, while the other is tied to allegations of toxic behavior.

Ultimately, *For Your Approval* presents DeGeneres as an unimpeachable figure who has learned little from the accusations leveled against her. The special feels more like an exercise in deflection than a sincere farewell, framing her departure from the public eye as a loss for her audience, rather than an opportunity for personal growth.

Based on a report from: The Independent  2024-09-27

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

She certainly doesn't need the $$$. 

She can do anything in the world if she's in good health, she's rich, her worst enemy is dead, she should just get a life.  She started in standup, she's going backwards, it's sad to see.

36 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

She stopped being funny the minute she came out of the closet.

I used to see her on a TV show "At the Improv" in the 1980s that had people trying to make it as comics.  I guessed she was gay.  Why?  She was the only one who did not do any jokes regarding sex.

47 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

She stopped being funny the minute she came out of the closet.

Yeah, she used to be quite good looking as well. It's amazing how over the years people who are have a darkness on the inside end up resembling their inner demons. 

image.png.fbd54b64769c0ceea4cc0b4510ef253a.png

Makes me wonder what Markle will look like in 10 years. It's already started with her. 

• Thanks 1

Who would have thought the oh so nice Ellen de Generes was in reality such a horrible person. Goes to show how first impressions can be wrong

BuzzFeed News spoke to one current and 10 former employees on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, all of whom asked to remain anonymous, fearing retribution from the award-winning NBC daytime talk show and others in the entertainment industry. They said they were fired after taking medical leave or bereavement days to attend family funerals. 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/krystieyandoli/ellen-employees-allege-toxic-workplace-culture

31 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Who would have thought the oh so nice Ellen de Generes was in reality such a horrible person. Goes to show how first impressions can be wrong

BuzzFeed News spoke to one current and 10 former employees on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, all of whom asked to remain anonymous, fearing retribution from the award-winning NBC daytime talk show and others in the entertainment industry. They said they were fired after taking medical leave or bereavement days to attend family funerals. 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/krystieyandoli/ellen-employees-allege-toxic-workplace-culture

It's often the ones who make a show of how kind and compassionate they are that are the real nasty pieces of work.

Degeneres was a horrible bully in the workplace. Just like her "great friend" Markle.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/hollywood-keeps-quitting-prince-harry-meghan-markle-1235996963/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Yeah, she used to be quite good looking as well. It's amazing how over the years people who are have a darkness on the inside end up resembling their inner demons. 

image.png.fbd54b64769c0ceea4cc0b4510ef253a.png

Makes me wonder what Markle will look like in 10 years. It's already started with her. 

''shag off'', Harry.

30 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's often the ones who make a show of how kind and compassionate they are that are the real nasty pieces of work.

Degeneres was a horrible bully in the workplace. Just like her "great friend" Markle.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/hollywood-keeps-quitting-prince-harry-meghan-markle-1235996963/

"Everyone’s terrified of Meghan,” claims a source close to the couple. “She belittles people, she doesn’t take advice. They’re both poor decision-makers, they change their minds frequently."

Something has gone wrong with parenting  in the post war  years, John Mearsheimer also lamented the strange decline in political leaders recognising the limits of power since the 1990s. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Social Media said:

One might have expected that DeGeneres would use this moment to truly reflect. After more than three decades in the industry, perhaps she would finally shed the polished, inoffensive persona and offer a more candid take on her experiences.

It didn't work for Roseanne Bar until she met MAGA and Tucker Carlson.

What a load of BS.  Likely, I am in the minority but I find the whole 'mean boss' bruhaha to be much ado about absolutely nothing.  She's the boss.  She's paying your salary and she's responsible for you having a job in the first place, and continuing to have an income and a job to go to.   That means she is not required to be nice.  That means she can be demanding of her staff.  That means she can be tough.   That means she's not required to befriend every person working for her.   That means she doesn't have to pretend to like or care about everyone working for her.  Don't like it?   Quit.  There's the door.   It's the Ellen Show , not the Coffee Runner Show.   Not the Deputy Assistant Flunky Show.

I have no doubt that some incidents happened and I also have no doubt that they were publicized greatly out of proportion to what actually happened by a few disgruntled staff members.  It bears remembering that her show was on for 19 years.  That's a long time--of course there were bound to be some incidents, disagreements, differences of opinion, arguments, stressful times, etc., in that many years of putting on a very high-pressure, daily show.   I doubt her management style was much different from what a man's would be in that same environment--but as a woman that still doesn't fly.   And, a gay woman . . . ?    Strong, tough man--admired.   Strong, tough woman--bitch.  

What I find utterly laughable is the scorn for her, which does not seem to have abated much.  I imagine there's some resentful envy in there, too.  Apparently, she is 'shameless' for not showing quite enough remorse for being a tough boss, for not being friendly enough or caring enough to her employees.  Apparently, what remorse she has shown has been judged as being not sincere enough to satisfy the great unwashed of social media.   I imagine she's thinking, I really don't know why I need to do anything.   I totally agree.  

21 minutes ago, newnative said:

What a load of BS.  Likely, I am in the minority but I find the whole 'mean boss' bruhaha to be much ado about absolutely nothing.  She's the boss.  She's paying your salary and she's responsible for you having a job in the first place, and continuing to have an income and a job to go to.   That means she is not required to be nice.  That means she can be demanding of her staff.  That means she can be tough.   That means she's not required to befriend every person working for her.   That means she doesn't have to pretend to like or care about everyone working for her.

I think you will find that most people do not care that much about her being a horrible boss. Nobody likes a bully who abuses their power in the workplace but it's not like she murdered anyone. 

What people object to is the hypocrisy of her and the likes of Markle preaching about kindness, compassion, joy, love, empowerment, equality, respect etc. while reducing their underlings to tears with their tyranny as soon as the cameras are off.

It's the 2 faced hypocrisy that people find revolting. Me included. If she was honest about not giving a toss about anyone I'd actually have some respect for her. 

• Agree 1

I don't know about others, but I have always found, that when I'm nice to people, they are invariably nice to me.

Not only that, but when I help people, God somehow finds a way to help me, when and if I need it.

IF the entire world lived like that, I think this would be paradise.