7-Eleven Introduces Convenient PromptPay QR Code Payments Nationwide

webfact

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Yes.

Same thing that bank employees do - they dont do their jobs using a phone !!

Come on man - you are wrong - you dont need to admit it, but just stop.

PS - getting help on the phone is OK here, but cancelling/stopping an account needs to be at the branch office where you opened the account. EG. I have an old bank account in Chiang Mai where we used to live, but the local head office branch here cannot cancel it - I have to go there.  Only Solution - withdraw all money (transfer to other bank account here) and dont use it for 12 months - it will then automatically be cancelled.

I had a Krungthai account in Trad. I closed it and opened a new THB account and a $ account in the large Klang branch in Pattaya. Despite all my concerns it would be impossible, they were more than happy to do it. I then moved the THB account again from the Pattaya Klang branch to the Thepprasit branch. Yes, I am a PITA, but they were extremely patient with me. It's advisable to print out statements going back a year or so before closing an account though, as you won't be able to do it without a visit to your new branch.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I had a Krungthai account in Trad. I closed it and opened a new THB account and a $ account in the large Klang branch in Pattaya. Despite all my concerns it would be impossible, they were more than happy to do it. I then moved the THB account again from the Pattaya Klang branch to the Thepprasit branch. Yes, I am a PITA, but they were extremely patient with me. It's advisable to print out statements going back a year or so before closing an account though, as you won't be able to do it without a visit to your new branch.

Good advice.  I closed one account way back, and all the online records disappeared - they cut up the card, but I was able to keep the book (with holes in it).  

Just now, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Good advice.  I closed one account way back, and all the online records disappeared - they cut up the card, but I was able to keep the book (with holes in it).  

I was just thinking, with KT you can order statements on line. They email them to you encrypted with your passport number as the decrypt key. Handy for avoiding reams of paper.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

I was just thinking, with KT you can order statements on line. They email them to you encrypted with your passport number as the decrypt key. Handy for avoiding reams of paper.

Thanks - I have a KT account - will give it a try.

Unlikely to be accepted by Immigration for annual extensions - but still very handy to have at times.

29 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

You are not in Thailand are you? Call the banks???  You will need to go into the bank where you opened the account (not any bank branch) and try to get them to stop/cancel your accounts - and good luck with that, even if you get there quickly.  By the way, banking rules in Thailand are 99% in favour of the bank - you will not get any money back 99% of the time. 

That is just nonsense. You lose a card, have anything stolen, all the banks have 24 hour hotlines you can call and they immediately block your account. To reactivate you may need to present yourself with ID, but to block them is just a phone call at any time of the day or night, and with English speaking operators.

I have done this several times in Thailand. I have also called them from overseas when I got my wallet stolen in France. Immediate block, not a problem.  I didn't know my account number or passport details but they identified me and blocked the account. Please don't post rubbish if you have absolutely no experience.

Take it as given - they are insecure. The best solution in your situation, that I can think of, is to set up a separate bank account and impose a daily limit of 5000 baht withdrawals in a day, and using a computer transfer over to that account funds as and when needed (keeping below say 10K Baht). Then use that for account for payments with the phone. That limits the danger to a small amount in a secondary account.  Especially important if you are using the same main account on your phone and you use that for immigration extensions/renewals. 

Are you for real? Why on earth would you set up two accounts and be bothered shifting money between them every time you spend 5,000 baht? Absolutely ridiculous.

Every bank allows you to set a limit for individual transactions. Set it to 100 baht if it makes you feel better - hopefully tinfoil hats cost less than that.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yep, the auto-correct took over. Cheers

Auto-correct "took over" and it changed a correctly spelled word to an incorrect version? 🤣 Must be a new feature. 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

That is just nonsense. You lose a card, have anything stolen, all the banks have 24 hour hotlines you can call and they immediately block your account. To reactivate you may need to present yourself with ID, but to block them is just a phone call at any time of the day or night, and with English speaking operators.

I have done this several times in Thailand. I have also called them from overseas when I got my wallet stolen in France. Immediate block, not a problem.  I didn't know my account number or passport details but they identified me and blocked the account. Please don't post rubbish if you have absolutely no experience.

Are you for real? Why on earth would you set up two accounts and be bothered shifting money between them every time you spend 5,000 baht? Absolutely ridiculous.

Every bank allows you to set a limit for individual transactions. Set it to 100 baht if it makes you feel better - hopefully tinfoil hats cost less than that.

Thanks for your supporting and proven intelligent answers - NOT.

Up to you mate - your money - your choice.

To stop the account can be done by phone call - to cancel it and start again cannot.

But like I said, once you get a text to say XYZ withdrawn, it is all too late. 

• Agree 1

On 9/27/2024 at 11:10 AM, brianthainess said:

Cash is king. IMO

OK but things are changing. This negates the need to carry cash / large amounts of cash. That's a positive.  

But ultimately personal choice.

• Confused 1

On 9/27/2024 at 11:06 AM, Will B Good said:

Handy...just in time for those lucky souls who will be receiving 10k into their bank accounts anytime  soon.....serendipitous?

I'll see your serendipitous and raise you duplicitous

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2024 at 11:22 AM, dinsdale said:

Great news. More time spent waiting for some idiot to get their phone out, scroll through their photos before releasing they need their bank app to scan, couple of minutes to remember their login code and another couple of minutes to work out how to scan. Sometimes it takes way too long as it is. Seven 711 workers in the shop with one serving customers. The other 6 are either stacking shelves, getting home deliveries organised or making drinks.

p.s. It will come in handy though; sometimes.

7/11 will probably have to take on more staff to assist those slowing the rest of us down with this "prompt" pay rubbish 

Just now, scorecard said:

OK but things are changing. This negates the need to carry cash / large amounts of cash. That's a positive.  

How often do people spend a large amount of cash in 7/11

9 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

The biggest security flaw I discovered in banking didn't involve a Thai bank. Actually, not with a bank at all. Long story short, I discovered an overseas bank (US) was able to set up a transaction on my Wise $ account via a Direct Debit using just the account details as provided by Wise. Seems the default is to allow this to happen, without any notification, permission or advice. I was told I could stop all DDs on a certain account, or across all my Wise accounts, and allow them only with my specific permission. So that's what I did. Locked the intruders out. It turned out it wasn't a malign intrusion, just a test run. But I was really surprised that the bank was able to do that.

17 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Auto-correct "took over" and it changed a correctly spelled word to an incorrect version? 🤣 Must be a new feature. 🤔 

Got me there. It was my dodgy fingers which took over.

Strange that it did not inform me that I had mis-spelt, or is it mis-spelled, something.

Edited by KannikaP

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

What/why ever would you need to carry  'Large amounts' of cash for ?

23 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

7/11 will probably have to take on more staff to assist those slowing the rest of us down with this "prompt" pay rubbish 

Wow, so negative, 90% of what you wrote is rubbish.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Possible no need but some folks withdraw 'enough cash for the month' etc.

Some folks feel good about having big cash money in their wallet at all times.

This is life.

Ultimately it's personal choice. 

Just now, scorecard said:

Wow, so negative, 90% of what you wrote is rubbish.

Fair enough but could you let me know specifically  which 10% of what i wrote  is not rubbish .  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:
14 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You're missing the point, sleep on it?

You have no point to make do you, as you can't answer my question, or is 5 k a large amount of money to you ? so I will ask again WHY would you need to carry a large amount of money ? 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

You have no point to make do you, as you can't answer my question, or is 5 k a large amount of money to you ? so I will ask again WHY would you need to carry a large amount of money ? 

And I have no intention of playing your silly game. Get over it. Some folks like to always have a fat wallet, that's life.

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Possible no need but some folks withdraw 'enough cash for the month' etc.

This is life.

I tend to withdraw once or twice a month but I don't carry it around with me.

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

And I have no intention of playing your silly game. Get over it. Some folks like to always have a fat wallet, that's life.

So there is no real reason to carry it around with you is there.

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

This is life.

Some people must  feel comfortable  holding up others and causing queues whilst fumbling with their phones. That appears to indeed be ( Their)   life.   It may be their personal choice,  it is not mine or that of many others

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

I tend to withdraw once or twice a month but I don't carry it around with me.

I always withdraw, much safer that way. Sorry it only happens once or twice a month for you.

"QR code scam is rapidly rising as it is the most common way scammers can trick users. The rise of QR code scams poses a significant threat in the expanding digital payment landscape. Scammers exploit the ease of QR code use, directing users to phishing sites and risking sensitive data theft"

https://www.livemint.com/money/personal-finance/qr-code-scams-how-to-identify-and-be-safe-from-such-tricks-11701766191058.html

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I tend to withdraw once or twice a month but I don't carry it around with me

I also have such outdated habits,  I withdraw what I want when I want ,  carry it with me when i want , and spend it as I want in the old fashioned way. I have not yet progressed to holding others up as I fumble with my phone,  just give me some time and I will try to catch up with the latest time saving  advances in technology