Getting a credit card

18 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

Hi Guys

Any pointers on best way to get a credit card.

Been retired in Thailand 6 years, out of home country for over 11 years so I guess no credit rating.

Talked to my bank (SCB) and they wanted me to open a fixed account and they would give a credit card for half the value of the deposit 🤣

despite already having my 800k in one account and a "current" account that has seen a very healthy flow of money through it over the last six years.

Don't need the card for extended credit, just for when a credit card is really useful.

🍻

13 years retired here and counting. As you have learned, Thai banks will extend a secured use card but not a "credit card" for us. I maintained my US CapOne and Amex cards for use here. Use CapOne regularly and pay directly from my US bank account. US Credit Rating stands at 820 ... the rating is of no use to us here to get a mortgage loan nor a western type card extending "credit" (I think this does not hold true if you are on a work permit)..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wrwest said:

13 years retired here and counting. As you have learned, Thai banks will extend a secured use card but not a "credit card" for us. I maintained my US CapOne and Amex cards for use here. Use CapOne regularly and pay directly from my US bank account. US Credit Rating stands at 820 ... the rating is of no use to us here to get a mortgage loan nor a western type card extending "credit" (I think this does not hold true if you are on a work permit)..

That is absolutely correct. No job (Thai or foreigner) no unsecured credit card. The only possible exception is if you have quite a few million in the bank .

• Thumbs Up 1

It's quite easy for a foreigner to get credit cards in Thailand.

There are 3 scenarios:

1. You don't have a work permit and you don't have money in the bank : no credit card.

2. You don't have a work permit but you get some money in the bank : you can apply for a "secured credit card".

3. You have a work permit : you can apply for a credit card

Years ago, I was in the scenario # 2 and I got a secured credit card. When I decided to be based in Thailand (with a TH work permit), I applied for a credit card and got it!

PS: When I was based, as a foreigner, in Czech Republic, Ireland, Kenya, UK, the rules were quite similar: you have a job then you can apply for and get a credit card

Edited by Fab5BKK
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Fab5BKK said:

It's quite easy for a foreigner to get credit cards in Thailand.

There are 3 scenarios:

1. You don't have a work permit and you don't have money in the bank : no credit card.

2. You don't have a work permit but you get some money in the bank : you can apply for a "secured credit card".

3. You have a work permit : you can apply for a credit card

Years ago, I was in the scenario # 2 and I got a secured credit card. When I decided to be based in Thailand (with a TH work permit), I applied for a credit card and got it!

PS: When I was based, as a foreigner, in Czech Republic, Ireland, Kenya, UK, the rules were quite similar: you have a job then you can apply for and get a credit card

Succinctly put, and it is not just foreigners but it also applies to Thai citizens though of course it’s not a work permit that is required for them but a job with a history.

If your Thai wife has a very good credit 'worthy' score and has credit cards, she should be able to get you a credit card under her account as an authorized user with your name on it.  Of course, the credit card has an unsecured limit of 90,000 thb.  We have it a BBL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fceligoj said:

If your Thai wife has a very good credit 'worthy' score and has credit cards, she should be able to get you a credit card under her account as an authorized user with your name on it.  Of course, the credit card has an unsecured limit of 90,000 thb.  We have it a BBL.

While it is certainly possible to add another authorised user for some, if not most, credit card account holders, and that for some that is useful, it doesn’t help the OP’s requirements.

22 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

Talked to my bank (SCB) and they wanted me to open a fixed account and they would give a credit card for half the value of the deposit 🤣

What they all said. Now: find a bank that'll offer you a secured card w/ balance equal to the security deposit. Had such many years ago w/ Bank of Ayudhya. Later I worked for a Thai co. and got a regular cc.

22 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

Hi Guys

Any pointers on best way to get a credit card.

Been retired in Thailand 6 years, out of home country for over 11 years so I guess no credit rating.

despite already having my 800k in one account and a "current" account that has seen a very healthy flow of money through it over the last six years.

Don't need the card for extended credit, just for when a credit card is really useful.

🍻

Out of interest, did SCB suggest what minimum they would consider for the fixed deposit account? I have a mate who's been here for ages and let all his foreign credit options go. He wanted to rent a car urgently earlier this year and a mutual friend helped him out by 'cosigning'  on the rental agreement at the rental car desk as the additional driver, using his credit card. My mate reimbursed him in cash.

My mate doesn't want to burden our mutual friend's generosity for any other short-term rental, and I suggested he ask at the bank for their secured credit card offering. Since he's only renting a car for 3 to 5 days tops, it doesn't need to be a large amount.

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good grief! And I have a red dog and a black dog, both of which brings NOTHING of value to THIS conversation on how to obtain a credit card from a Thai bank TODAY when one does not have a work permit.

Sheesh...

You sound like our safety guy, always banging on about how special he is and back-pedaling when tasked on offering specifics.

PS: Try and ignore the emojis. That's the sort of stuff that eats you up inside.

Hey Champ, sorry to hear someone stole the jam outta your donut.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

You sound like our safety guy, always banging on about how special he is and back-pedaling when tasked on offering specifics.

How sad, you're having a cry because I'm ignoring you.

Don't feel too bad, you are not the only antagonizer I ignore here. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

22 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I have had a kasikorn credit card since 2008, having never worked in Thailand prior. I don't have any security on my credit cards or the spouse credit card I have issued by kasikorn bank. 

I also have a wisdom card which I had to deposit some money into MTL account, I get interest paid every few years, the balance I deposited plus growth will be returned after 14 years if I remember.

@MarkT63, try applying for a wisdom credit card from kasikorn bank. 

I have had the same experience but it was back in about 2010, but without the MTL. My wife was friendly with the bank manager. The other card that comes with the wisdom card still gives you free admittance to a lounge at Suvarnabumhi. When it came out the wisdom card was great, you had a special coffee and snacks area and special parking, plus jumping the queue.

The old KTB bank that merged with the military bank gave my wife and I a credit card but the limit for the wife was paltry. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, retarius said:

I have had the same experience but it was back in about 2010, but without the MTL. My wife was friendly with the bank manager. The other card that comes with the wisdom card still gives you free admittance to a lounge at Suvarnabumhi. When it came out the wisdom card was great, you had a special coffee and snacks area and special parking, plus jumping the queue.

The old KTB bank that merged with the military bank gave my wife and I a credit card but the limit for the wife was paltry. 

Yes, the airport lounge pass comes in handy for me travelling internationally every month.

I noticed that the Wisdom lounge in Kasikorn branch, Central Shopping has closed.

I like the no wait queue (jumping queue) at branches, just swipe the card and I'm next at the teller. 

I've got my spouse credit card limit set to 20k baht. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

5 hours ago, retarius said:

You can top up that limit by adding cash, say 100k. Interest free, of course.

Just sayin'.

13 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

I asked the bank about using my 800k as security and they said no 🍻

Of course the bank would say no, but if you were to present  a bank book used as secured deposit to immigraiton, how could immigration tell? in my BBL book, it just looks like any other termed deposit book with regular interest payment in, no withdrawal out, just how immigratin like your accounts to be untouched