Any benefits in antibiotics

Effectiveness of doxy PEP for other populations

To date, doxy PEP has only proven effective among gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men and transgender women at increased risk for STIs, and this is the group for whom CDC recommends counseling.

There is insufficient evidence to assess the balance of benefits and harms of the use of doxy PEP in other populations. Studies in other populations, including cisgender women are vital, and CDC will update the guidelines as additional data are available.

https://www.cdc.gov/sti/hcp/doxy-pep/index.html

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:
49 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

How would one know anyway, whether it was the antibiotics or the fact that you just didn't get sick

Should go to Specsavers Darl, I never said it was me Brian my dear 

Oh dear, it seems it is you that needs new Specs, When you have your new specs on you can see I wrote 'How would ONE know' not how would YOU know. I understand reading, writing, and English comprehension are not your strong points, but as you are Ozzy that is expected. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble , but I'm never acting stupid. Do you actually understand what you're writing? You're promoting unsafe sex, thinking there's a cure all because you take something. You've stated, more than a few times, that you caught an STD from someone. This also means there's a high likelihood you also spread it around, unless you abstained for quite awhile, depending on what STD you had. This also means whoever you gave it to, also spread it around, as it seems you aren't having sex with normal girls but sex workers, who have also had sex multitudes of times, and also spread it around. I'm guessing you either can't get a normal girl, or just are in the game for yourself, so you need to purchase. Do you frequently have yourself tested? I'm sure you don't, because spreading things around seems to not matter to you.. If you did, you might find you are carrying something that the drugs didn't stop, as no drug is 100% effective. This means you are still spreading diseases around, as are the many who indulge in this behavior. I prefer women who aren't with multiple partners, and who never were. This actually means I'm...........smart.

According to the CDC .........

One in 2,500 chance of catching HIV from having unprotected sex with an infected woman.

Let's assume only 10% of women hookers have HIV (mad overestimate).

So a less than 1 in 25,000 chance of catching HIV from having unprotected sex with a random female partner hooker.

Once you write the numbers own, your fear seems a little silly.

More chance of being run over while crossing the road.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

According to the CDC .........

One in 2,500 chance of catching HIV from having unprotected sex with an infected woman.

Let's assume only 10% of women have HIV (mad overestimate).

So a less than 1 in 25,000 chance of catching HIV from having unprotected sex with a random female partner.

Once you write the numbers own, your fear seems a little silly.

More chance of being run over while crossing the road.

Catching HIV has a small chance yes, but there are a number of other STD's that are spread around here daily, and people get them, daily. When a person dies from HIV, or gets something they can't get rid of, statistics mean little to them. Ian Gillen, singer from Badlands, had sex with a number of groupies, thinking little of it, until he got HIV and died from Aids. Yes, lightning only strikes only a few people each year, but when it hits you, you're one of those .People rarely get STD's when in relationships with normal women, but your chances go up extremely when it's just prostitutes you seek.

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Effectiveness of doxy PEP for other populations

To date, doxy PEP has only proven effective among gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men and transgender women at increased risk for STIs, and this is the group for whom CDC recommends counseling.

There is insufficient evidence to assess the balance of benefits and harms of the use of doxy PEP in other populations. Studies in other populations, including cisgender women are vital, and CDC will update the guidelines as additional data are available.

https://www.cdc.gov/sti/hcp/doxy-pep/index.html

It was the same for PrEP, their case studies didn't include heterosexual men

I have had a couple of strep type wound infections, one of which cost me one joint of a great toe. I only take them when prescribed as I do not wish to promote any kind of bacterial resistance.

As a long time diabetic I must take especial care, and my wife keeps an eye on me as well.

The brother of a good friend began having bits taken off and died not long after a leg amputation. In spite of his diabetes he could not lay off the booze.

Myself I rarely have more than one tipple a month. Only been married a bit over five years and like it well enough to want to see how it goes for a while. 🥰

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It was the same for PrEP, their case studies didn't include heterosexual men

However, due to a lack of supporting evidence, the (CDC) guidelines state that “no recommendation can be given at this time” on the use of doxyPEP for cisgender women, cisgender heterosexual men, transgender men or other queer or non-binary people.

“DoxyPEP will be of most use in groups with the highest incidence of bacterial STIs, particularly highly sexually active gay and bisexual men,” Nutland said. “Yet we must continue to emphasise the lack of evidence to support its use in some population groups.”

https://www.aidsmap.com/news/oct-2023/us-releases-first-doxypep-guidelines-preventing-sexually-transmitted-infections

29 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

People rarely get STD's when in relationships with normal women, but your chances go up extremely when it's just prostitutes you seek

This is a common fallacy in Thailand. 

Thai youth think "my partner is not a sex worker and doesn't have sex with sex workers, so we are safe and don't need a condom." Many see not using a condom as a sign of mutual trust and love.

As a result,  "normal" teens have become a main risk group for HIV.

ALWAYS use condoms, except in a monogamous relationship. Monogamous means much longer than a couple of weeks.

Sex without a condom gets yourself sick and spreads disease to others. 

(And, no, the chances are not 1:25,000 as pseudo-statisticians claim.)

Edited by Lorry

34 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

your previous posts and other threads suggest otherwise. No one cares if you approve of sex workers or not

Just because you don't understand what others are saying, or disagree from not being informed enough, doesn't mean others are stupid. This reply of yours shows ignorance, and your shortcomings. I don't make opinions and go by facts, which are indisputable, with the exception of those like you that again, aren't up to speed on what really goes on in this world, and make opinions because they suit your cause. I'm hardly the only one who disapproves of prostitution and the victims it makes. You approve of them because again, you either can't find a normal woman, don't know how to treat one, or just pay for women because of those two reasons. You benefit from these women, or men, or both, for these reasons, so don't guess what you think others do, or know, because you only know what you yourself does.And please tell me where other posts I've made make me look stupid. I'm guessing it's for the same reasons as this one. Lack of knowledge and opinions which means nothing.

Edited by fredwiggy

13 minutes ago, Lorry said:

This is a common fallacy in Thailand. 

Thai youth think "my partner is not a sex worker and doesn't have sex with sex workers, so we are safe and don't need a condom." Many see not using a condom as a sign of mutual trust and love.

As a result,  "normal" teens have become a main risk group for HIV.

ALWAYS use condoms, except in a monogamous relationship. Monogamous means much longer than a couple of weeks.

Sex without a condom gets yourself sick and spreads disease to others. 

(And, no, the chances are not 1:25,000 as pseudo-statisticians claim.)

Teens should not be having sex anyway, for a multitude of reasons. Teens surely get STD's, and spread them, because of their lack of understanding of the consequences, because all their friends are having sex, and their today thinking. I agree with what you've said and only was pointing out that getting an STD is much more likely with women who are sex workers, and those that participate in the trade.

48 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

However, due to a lack of supporting evidence, the (CDC) guidelines state that “no recommendation can be given at this time” on the use of doxyPEP for cisgender women, cisgender heterosexual men, transgender men or other queer or non-binary people.

“DoxyPEP will be of most use in groups with the highest incidence of bacterial STIs, particularly highly sexually active gay and bisexual men,” Nutland said. “Yet we must continue to emphasise the lack of evidence to support its use in some population groups.”

https://www.aidsmap.com/news/oct-2023/us-releases-first-doxypep-guidelines-preventing-sexually-transmitted-infections

Perhaps, but they ignore people that have sex with sex workers, that group is always ignored but prevalent in Thailand

24 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Just because you don't understand what others are saying, or disagree from not being informed enough, doesn't mean others are stupid. This reply of yours shows ignorance, and your shortcomings. I don't make opinions and go by facts, which are indisputable, with the exception of those like you that again, aren't up to speed on what really goes on in this world, and make opinions because they suit your cause. I'm hardly the only one who disapproves of prostitution and the victims it makes. You approve of them because again, you either can't find a normal woman, don't know how to treat one, or just pay for women because of those two reasons. You benefit from these women, or men, or both, for these reasons, so don't guess what you think others do, or know, because you only know what you yourself does.And please tell me where other posts I've made make me look stupid. I'm guessing it's for the same reasons as this one. Lack of knowledge and opinions which means nothing.

TLTR, your posts are getting too long again, thought you'd learnt how to summarise, BTW pretty much disagree with everything you spout 

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Perhaps, but they ignore people that have sex with sex workers, that group is always ignored but prevalent in Thailand

True. But this was a US study and they I guess didn't consider men who have unprotected sex with multiple female partners who themselves have unprotected sex with multiple partners to be a class of 'high incidence' at least in the US.

Edited by jerrymahoney

I travel with a huge pharmacy of antibiotics, but not for taking before I go, I carry them in case I get an infection while I am in Thailand. The doctors here are not very good with antibiotics....dispensing amoxycillin by the bag full and it has tons of resistant strains. Augmenting gives me explosive diarrhoea so I don't carry that. I like to carry a course of 2nd or 3rd gen oral ceps, a course of doxycycline, ciprofloxacin and metronidazole. ag full of amoxycillin given by Thai doctors and never used. I use it if I get an access under a tooth.

Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections. If you mean anti-malaria tablets then yes they do help but the chances of contracting it unless you out in forests or woodlands is remote. For viruses, no antibiotics do not work on viruses.

48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

TLTR, your posts are getting too long again, thought you'd learnt how to summarise, BTW pretty much disagree with everything you spout 

If you can't comprehend a paragraph or two, that's your deal. Don't read them. And don't assume people are stupid because you fail to understand what they're saying. Also, don't assume anyone needs to teach me how to summarize, because laziness is what happens when you try to explain more than one point in a sentence. Again, if you disagree with someone who goes on facts more than opinions, that's you making your own opinion, which again, means nothing.