Saved a Thai from being fined. Good or bad?

AustinRacing

27 minutes ago, JamesPhuket10 said:
20 hours ago, it is what it is said:

it's not about the legality, it's about the safety. the law is there to protect idiots from themselves

In that case, I assume you agree smoking should be banned so the idiot smokers are protected from themselves, I refer to your logo of a guy smoking a cigarette. 

To some extent - thats what is happening...  taxation on smoking is increasing as an incentive to force people not to smoke. 

Though using smoking as a source of comparison has a fundamental flaw in that an incident involving a motorcycle may well involve 'other motorists'... regardless of fault, if a helmet is not worn, there is a higher probability of serious injury or death and that 'can be' pinned on the driver / rider of the other vehicle. 

i.e. A motorcyclist cuts out in front of someone a collision is impossible to avoid. Motorcyclist head smashed the ground, he's dead, or brain damaged - should that person have to live with the potential guilt when wearing a helmet would have resulted in cuts and bruises ?

Taking this a step further, if someone commits a traffic offence, an innocent mistake such as changing lanes and 'just didn't see the motorcyclist' (it happens), and knocks the motorcyclist off, head smashed the ground, he's dead, or brain damaged...  should that person be legally accountable for the death (or brain damage) when the motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet (i.e. not on the road legally ?).

Thus...  there are 'other implications' - contrary to what some people suggest, not wearing a helmet does not 'only potentially impact the rider'.... 

On 9/27/2024 at 10:58 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'd see a checkpoint on Soi Kophai, see a Thai rider no helmet (no Thai's wear helmets on this road, unless raining), tap my head, they always turn around. 

No way I would warn anyone stupid enough to not wear a helmet. Let them get fined and they might learn through their fob pocket. 

On 9/28/2024 at 3:12 PM, retarius said:

My view is that it is a nanny state law. Idiots deserve what they get.

Well..... nice to hear you are more than happy to fund excessively expensive healthcare systems and benefit systems when these idiots get what they deserve......?

On 9/27/2024 at 7:27 PM, AustinRacing said:

Would you, or have you done this?

Thais yes, foreigners no.

I do it all of the time here.

Foreigners should know better.

Rental bikes usually provide helmets.

Their own bike, then they can afford one.

Edited by Tropicalevo

On 9/28/2024 at 8:00 AM, Theforgotten1 said:

Do you think the guy will go to airport to wave you goodbye if police catch you breaking the law by telling people of the check point , do think the guys family will be happy with you if he loses his life because no helmet , are you one of those that criticize others for breaking the laws and yet do it yourself 

Bet you are a fun guy.

On 9/28/2024 at 8:00 AM, Theforgotten1 said:

Do you think the guy will go to airport to wave you goodbye if police catch you breaking the law by telling people of the check point , do think the guys family will be happy with you if he loses his life because no helmet , are you one of those that criticize others for breaking the laws and yet do it yourself 

Agree 100%.

Totally irresponsible.

On 9/28/2024 at 12:08 AM, it is what it is said:

it's not about the legality, it's about the safety. the law is there to protect idiots from themselves

C'mon, man!

It's about freedom!!!

Freedom to ride free and unfettered!

Freedom to let the wind blow yer hair!

Freedom to die in a survivable accident.

Freedom to leave your kids fatherless.

Freedom to leave your wife without support.

And best of all.......

Freedom to survive brain damaged and let the public pay for your uninsured hospital bills, and freedom to be a drain on your family and taxpayers as a vegetable for decades.

Ah, freeeeedoooooooommmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Warning others of a police stop is certainly a decent thing to do. All those police roadblocks accomplish is the collection of money to buy condos and new cars. The police here engage in zero in the way of traffic safety and I have never once, in all the years I have been here, seen a car pulled over for reckless driving. 

The vast majority of the cops here are revenue collection agents and franchisees, not law enforcement officers. 

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Warning others of a police stop is certainly a decent thing to do. All those police roadblocks accomplish is the collection of money to buy condos and new cars. The police here engage in zero in the way of traffic safety and I have never once, in all the years I have been here, seen a car pulled over for reckless driving. 

The vast majority of the cops here are revenue collection agents and franchisees, not law enforcement officers. 

So, uhhh, a law intended to insure public safety can be ignored 'cause the police are big ol' meanies?

That's mighty convenient.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

So, uhhh, a law intended to insure public safety can be ignored 'cause the police are big ol' meanies?

You Nailed it. 

Police are the baddies, if they weren't the baddies and did their job effectively the road toll would improve. 

It's better to help the Thai locals than to see the baddies prosper. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

About helmets: Just saving them from dying today rather than next week!

About speeding - not much respect for that!

So while not especially bad, (as in wanting to be friendly) in my opinion, not good: slow down for a bit, then carry on speeding - absolutely fine!

On 9/27/2024 at 7:42 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Wife says no way... Thai's do not flash to warn others of a Mobile Speed Camera etc

they do flash each other in warning of speed cameras,   My mrs often comes out with a load of rubbish too, on occasion,  generally she's not too  bad , but once she gets something in her head she will not be told otherwise.   except by her big sister

11 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

There's very little about the Thai road blocks that have to do with public safety, maybe the truck inspections, but the car inspections are just a pain, they backup traffic sometimes for kilometers, and they're fairly useless. It's really all about revenue. 

If the police or the highway patrol were concerned with public safety, they would pull people over while they were driving for reckless driving, intoxication, etc, but they're simply too lazy to do that. You know that and I know that so there's no need in pretending otherwise. 

41 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There's very little about the Thai road blocks that have to do with public safety, maybe the truck inspections, but the car inspections are just a pain, they backup traffic sometimes for kilometers, and they're fairly useless. It's really all about revenue. 

If the police or the highway patrol were concerned with public safety, they would pull people over while they were driving for reckless driving, intoxication, etc, but they're simply too lazy to do that. You know that and I know that so there's no need in pretending otherwise. 

This thread is about signaling a motorbike rider that a helmet check is ahead.  The law was intended to prevent injuries and fatalities, and the idea is to circumvent that.  So what if the local coppers use it as a money maker?  Wear a helmet, don't pay a fine.

OP wants to aid breaking the law, using police laziness/corruption as justification, and then blame the cops when head injuries don't decrease.  Any excuse not to comply.

You know that and I know that so there's no need in pretending otherwise.