Feel sorry for AN posters who bought electric

Celsius

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Main Components (at todays prices) 
20,000 Watts of PV @ ฿5/W = ฿100,000
36kWh Batteries @ ฿5k/kWh = ฿180,000
20kW of Inversion @ ฿5k/kW = ฿100,000
Total = ฿380,000

Whole house setup?  That's like adding the cost of building a petrol station to the purchase price of an ICE.

I've got a 2-car parking area with 20m2 of flat roof free of tree shadow.  What would I need to charge a small EV once/week, with any extra power used for perimeter wall lighting and charging honey-bunny's 3-wheeler?  No connection to house power to minimize the system.

What would be the cost of a simple, dedicated solar EV charging system?

Edited by NoDisplayName

1 minute ago, G_Money said:

Prove me wrong.  I have seen a gasoline, not diesel generator mounted.

Fact is you’re afraid to venture past your comfort zone (30 kilometers) in your EV for fear of being STRANDED.

Gasoline or diesel generator, it makes no difference. The onus is on you to prove your claim, not for me to disprove something that doesn’t exist.

Fact is, you’re not ignorant, just clueless.

He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he’s a fool, shun him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

EOW was instructed not to post on the main thread, Electric vehicles in Thailand as he kept trying to derail it. He is still allowed to view the posts though. As for Transam, his content free micro posts were, imo, a complete waste of bandwidth. I would like to say that I miss him but I don’t want to lie.

This latest “one” has a completely different style of posting. EOW’s posts, at least, were informed, albeit irrelevant and tedious. This new one is completely dense.

Don’t get me wrong.  EV’s and their followers have a place in the modern world.

I see 3 happy members.

Trying to decipher who is who.

IMG_4146.jpeg

IMG_4147.jpeg

IMG_4148.jpeg

Edited by G_Money
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Gasoline or diesel generator, it makes no difference. The onus is on you to prove your claim, not for me to disprove something that doesn’t exist.

Fact is, you’re not ignorant, just clueless.

He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he’s a fool, shun him.

You keep digging yourself into a deeper hole, contradicting yourself.

While you’re digging you may come across some lithium.  Save it, you’ll need it.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Looking forward to your trip report of the Thailand tour, Chang Mai, Issan etc all in your EV using current charging stations available.

Or is that just a little too optimistic?

Some generators can fit in the trunk.

I can fill my fossil fuel tank in about 1-2 minutes max.

How long will it take to charge your depleted batteries?

Well, I have no plans to embark on a Thailand tour at the present moment. I’ve been round the whole of Thailand, all 76/77 provinces bar the 3 problematic ones down south, multiple times. The last time I went to Isaan, I was able to charge at every charging station that I wanted to. There was no need to fit a generator in the trunk (I’m not American).

I can’t charge up in 1-2 minutes but then again, I can’t empty my bladder and fill up my stomach in 1-2 minutes either. It takes about 30 minutes to charge my batteries to the required capacity but as I need more time to fill my stomach and to empty my bladder, I normally end up charging more than I need to.

Any other questions?

6 minutes ago, G_Money said:

You keep digging yourself into a deeper hole, contradicting yourself.

While you’re digging you may come across some lithium.  Save it, you’ll need it.

We’ll let the others decide who’s the one digging.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

We’ll let the others decide who’s the one digging.

Others??

Are you that insecure that you need others, presumably on this thread to back you up?

19 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Whole house setup?  That's like adding the cost of building a petrol station to the purchase price of an ICE.

I've got a 2-car parking area with 20m2 of flat roof free of tree shadow.  What would I need to charge a small EV once/week, with any extra power used for perimeter wall lighting and charging honey-bunny's 3-wheeler?  No connection to house power to minimize the system.

What would be the cost of a simple, dedicated solar EV charging system?

I can’t be sure but I doubt that it’s worthwhile installing a dedicated solar EV charging system. I’d imagine the car would be mostly used during daylight hours. Defeats the idea of having a solar system. A better option is to try and get a 2nd, TOU meter, solely for the EV. Each unit will cost approximately 3 baht so charging a 50 kWh battery would cost only about Thb 170 (accounting for losses) but that will give you a range of 300 km or more.

4 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Others??

Are you that insecure that you need others, presumably on this thread to back you up?

Not really but I don’t see where I have contradicted myself or how I’m digging. I merely rebut your claims. Seems to me that you’re the one that’s digging.

By the way, don’t you have school tomorrow?

Edited by Gweiloman

4 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I can’t be sure but I doubt that it’s worthwhile installing a dedicated solar EV charging system. I’d imagine the car would be mostly used during daylight hours. Defeats the idea of having a solar system. A better option is to try and get a 2nd, TOU meter, solely for the EV. Each unit will cost approximately 3 baht so charging a 50 kWh battery would cost only about Thb 170 (accounting for losses) but that will give you a range of 300 km or more.

Car would only be used a couple days per week, so assume charging minimum 4 days/week.

Am I misteaken that the solar charges a battery, which then transfers power to the car when plugged in?

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

All these threads & posts from experienced BEV owners, and you're still extremely ignorant (to be kind).

Nuff said ... :coffee1:

Not just you, but so many of the anti EV / CN folks just repeating the same false drivel.   Do y'all really get that big a kick out of trolling the threads ?

Along with comparing TH to other countries EV development or lack of.

Nothing wrong with ignorance, as been there done that, but after 10's of threads and 100's of posts, you'd think some of it would sink in.

My money is on you’re the driver.

IMG_4148.jpeg

11 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Car would only be used a couple days per week, so assume charging minimum 4 days/week.

Am I misteaken that the solar charges a battery, which then transfers power to the car when plugged in?

“Am I misteaken that the solar charges a battery, which then transfers power to the car when plugged in?”

You are not mistaken.

IMG_4150.png

Edited by G_Money

9 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

You can have a system that has a battery pack but then you are starting to pay big dollars. A basic system consists of solar panels and an inverter that converts DC to AC. Batteries for storage are,optional. A 3Kwh system can cost anywhere from 50k-130k depending on who you want to install it. A 5 kWh battery on its own can cost as much as 50k or more.

I’m sure that @Bandersnatchor @KhunLA will be along soon to give you more information than I can.

29 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Well, I have no plans to embark on a Thailand tour at the present moment. I’ve been round the whole of Thailand, all 76/77 provinces bar the 3 problematic ones down south, multiple times. The last time I went to Isaan, I was able to charge at every charging station that I wanted to. There was no need to fit a generator in the trunk (I’m not American).

I can’t charge up in 1-2 minutes but then again, I can’t empty my bladder and fill up my stomach in 1-2 minutes either. It takes about 30 minutes to charge my batteries to the required capacity but as I need more time to fill my stomach and to empty my bladder, I normally end up charging more than I need to.

Any other questions?

This post claims you charged your EV all over Thailand.

A previous post claimed you rarely charged anywhere except home.

Which statement contains the most Bullsh—?

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

You can have a system that has a battery pack but then you are starting to pay big dollars. A basic system consists of solar panels and an inverter that converts DC to AC. Batteries for storage are,optional. A 3Kwh system can cost anywhere from 50k-130k depending on who you want to install it. A 5 kWh battery on its own can cost as much as 50k or more.

I’m sure that @Bandersnatchor @KhunLA will be along soon to give you more information than I can.

“I’m sure that @Bandersnatchor @KhunLA will be along soon to give you more information than I can.“

All three positively identified.

I will give you the honor and and respect of being the one in the middle.

IMG_4148.jpeg

Edited by G_Money

3 minutes ago, G_Money said:

“Am I misteaken that the solar charges a battery, which then transfers power to the car when plugged in?”

You are not mistaken.

In that case, why does it matter when the car recharges.  If the power is coming from battery storage, then the car can charge overnight, yes?

Just now, Gweiloman said:

You can have a system that has a battery pack but then you are starting to pay big dollars.

I see.  Simple system is direct charge from solar panel, more complicated and expensiver system has battery storage.

What's a ballpark guesstimate of both systems?  Minimal battery size, as maximum ONE recharge per week.

I would install.

• Haha 1

On 9/29/2024 at 9:54 PM, phetphet said:

Too many people fell for the "electric cars are greener" mumbo jumbo.

They are not. They have just moved the polluting point from the engine to the battery.

As a result of the rapid growth of electric cars, there is now a time bomb on the horizon of what to do with old battery packs. Only a small percentage are currently recycled, and many of these are from car accidents where the batteries are damaged and the car manufacturers don't want to use them. . Others are reused or repurposed. But what happens to the ones that are broken down?

I saw a video that stated that currently over 95% of old batteries from electric vehicles end up in landfill.

Not so "green" when you take that into account if true. 

That's the problem with relying on videos for news. There is abundant research available regarding the reuse and recycling of EV batteries. It's also worth noting that most EV batteries will outlive the vehicles they power.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, G_Money said:

This post claims you charged your EV all over Thailand.

A previous post claimed you rarely charged anywhere except home.

Which statement contains the most Bullsh—?

You took the bait, hook, line and sinker as I thought you would and fell right into the trap.

I rarely charged my EV anywhere, except at home. In fact, during my first year of ownership, I only ever charged at home. Only recently, since 01 August to be exact, am I charging my EV at selected chargers as I get to charge for free, compliments of the car manufacturer.

What you didn’t realise is that I also have a PHEV. This is the vehicle I drove to Isaan in, a year ago. I wrote, “The last time I went to Isaan, I was able to charge at every charging station that I wanted to”.  I didn’t say that I drove my EV.

i thought that you would be a more worthy opponent. I thought wrong.

Can one of the Greenies explain the logic of using fossil fuels to generate electricity to power an EV charging station?

Isn’t that defeating the purpose ?

Down with ICE for vehicles but OK for charging stations.

The logic of the left (greenies) is mind

boggling.

But for $236k you can be completely independent of “the grid”.  Diesel fuel and towing hitch are extra.

IMG_4144.jpeg

IMG_4145.jpeg

Edited by G_Money

10 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

In that case, why does it matter when the car recharges.  If the power is coming from battery storage, then the car can charge overnight, yes?

I see.  Simple system is direct charge from solar panel, more complicated and expensiver system has battery storage.

What's a ballpark guesstimate of both systems?  Minimal battery size, as maximum ONE recharge per week.

I would install.

Wouldn’t make any financial sense whatsoever. You would be much better off charging directly from the grid.

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

You took the bait, hook, line and sinker as I thought you would and fell right into the trap.

I rarely charged my EV anywhere, except at home. In fact, during my first year of ownership, I only ever charged at home. Only recently, since 01 August to be exact, am I charging my EV at selected chargers as I get to charge for free, compliments of the car manufacturer.

What you didn’t realise is that I also have a PHEV. This is the vehicle I drove to Isaan in, a year ago. I wrote, “The last time I went to Isaan, I was able to charge at every charging station that I wanted to”.  I didn’t say that I drove my EV.

i thought that you would be a more worthy opponent. I thought wrong.

So I was correct.  You’re full of BS just like the entire EV movement.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I would install.

Given your demonstrated knowledge of solar and electricity I’d suggest giving the self installation a miss…

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, G_Money said:

Can one of the Greenies explain the logic of using fossil fuels to generate electricity to power an EV charging station?

Isn’t that defeating the purpose ?

Down with ICE for vehicles but OK for charging stations.

The logic of the left (greenies) is mind

boggling.

But for $236k you can be completely independent of “the grid”.  Diesel fuel and towing hitch are extra.

IMG_4144.jpeg

IMG_4145.jpeg

The silence is deafening.

Crickets chirping.

Suprised @Gweiloman and @KhunLA have not given their explanations.

Would $236k be acceptable to you for a lifetime of EV battery charging?

Edited by G_Money

On 9/30/2024 at 6:25 PM, tomazbodner said:

Interesting was the article (in non-English news) about NEO car... Apparently it allows the whole battery kit to be removed and replaced with another within 3 minutes.

It's that sort of technology that will make EVs acceptable for city drivers.

Now you have to stop battery material being dug out by exploited child labour to make them acceptable to decent human beings.

3 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I would install.

Check out @atpeace solar thread here prices were for August 2024 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1335820-just-installed-77-kwpv-and-62-kw-inverter/

He mentions prices of B85K without Batteries and B130K with batteries

His install is providing power to both house and future EV

8 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

When people say stuff like "but your solar wasn't free, so your EV charging isn't free" they've just demonstrated their ignorance of how solar works.

As we live in the tropics here in Thailand there is excess solar production in the middle of the day after powering the house and charging house batteries. So if it wasn't used for charging an EV it would be wasted. It is not possible to feed back power to the grid here as the schemes have been closed to new applicants.

7.jpg.5732e75a976d22698ba70627032bd0ca.jpg

I have 2 EVs and an electric motorbike with no fuel bills. My house is off-grid with no meter, so no utility bills and yes my EV can power my house at night.

I notice they are kept outside...............fires aside Id  be very wary of vermin chomping through all those lovely cables which I see often in Thailand. My Cars are kept in a sealed garage with no way for vermin to get in. An  attacky by vermin could get very expensive possibly even dangerous, I regularly  check for vermin around  my land and they are ever present. PS  cats do  almsot nothing and have been proven useless.