How does a Thai citizen get a tourist Visa to the USA?

Hello everyone,

I would like my Thai wife to visit me in the United States. What would she need to make it more likely that she could get a tourist visa to come visit me.

I've read that she would need to show the U.S. embassy that she intends to return to Thailand with money in her bank account and having a job. My wife has her own business. Someone told me they also want to see that she would have traveled to another non Asian country and returned to Thailand. They were told that by Siam Legal. My guess is it's not a requirement but would increase her chances of getting a tourist visa.

Any information on how we can get her a tourist visa is appreciated. Thank you.

Ohh.. that is not an easy thing to do. I suggest you go to the US embassy website and look to be sure. But i can tell you that she needs money.. A whole lot of it. Plus a business here or some other permanent income that would require her to return to Thailand for responsibilities. Then of course a couple of interviews at the Embassy. And a lot of paperwork. 

Does this help?

U.S. Tourist Visa from Thailand | Thailand Law

Requirements and Documents for the Application of U.S. Tourist Visa

The application requires the submission of a number of papers. It is suggested for you organize them well. Here is the list of requirements and documents needed for the application for the tourist visa:

• Thai ID card
  • Filled out the DS-160 application form
  • A valid passport that does not expire prior to 6 months of your intended stay
  • 2 copies 2×2 inches photograph
  • Receipt of U.S. Visa application fee
  • Financial Documents and other documents

Here is the list of documents you need:

• If employed, one must have Letter of Employment
  • If self-employed, one must have proof of ownership
  • If one is a government employee, one must have No-Objection Certificate (NOC)
  • Evidence of sufficient funds (like Bank Statements, Bank Passbook)
  • Tax ID, PAN ID, last year’s tax-related documents
  • Civil Documents (Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, etc.)

How to Process the U.S. Tourist Visa Application

1. Determine the type of visa that fits you.

Decide what type of tourist visa you are going to get. Determine what purpose you have to enter the U.S. and determine the visa for you. Would it be the B-1, B-2, or the B-1/B-2?

2. Fill out the application form (DS-160) online

To apply for a tourist visa, you must first complete the sections and then submit your application online. The online form can take up to an hour to complete, you must be thorough when filling it out. You will receive a verification page and code after you submit it.

3. Pay Fee online

You will receive payment instructions for the visa fee after obtaining confirmation of your DS-160 form. Print the payment instruction and pay the applicable fee at any Krungsri Bank branch in Thailand.

4. Schedule Interview

You will be scheduled for a tourist visa interview after paying the fee. You must schedule this interview via the US Embassy in Bangkok. They have a heavy workload; it is suggested to set your appointment as soon as possible or well ahead of your scheduled travel to the U.S. You will receive an interview confirmation letter following the completion of this procedure, which you must bring to the interview.

5. Show up at the scheduled interview

A U.S. Embassy consular officer will ask you about your background and why you desire to visit the U.S. on the day of your interview. They will also check all of your documents. It is important that you prepare for them and organize them beforehand. Although the interviews are brief, you are reminded to answer questions honestly and reveal all relevant information in order to avoid complications in the future.

You will be informed of the outcome of your visa application upon the completion of the interview. The consular officer will collect your passport if your visa is granted. You can pick up your passport at a post office or have it mailed to your home address along with the visa.

• Love It 1

I've heard Integrity Legal talk about this and he mentioned two things beside what is listed on the website.

A Thai tourist will need No or weak ties to the US and strong ties to Thailand and reason to return.

I would definitely make sure they have fairly recent passport stamps showing traveling to and returning from other countries to help bolster their case

I read one time it was easier to get a Visa for intention of marriage in the US then just as tourist but do Not know if this is true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think it is easy for Thai women. Having said that, I took my better half to Peru a few years ago and as we had to change planes in the USA, and stay in the airport, she needed a visa. Apparently, the US airports are easy to walk out of even if you are a transit passenger.

She had a copy of our marriage certificate, and I wrote a letter for her to show the interviewer at the embassy that while she is a housewife I guaranteed her insurance and any costs. She also had an onward air ticket to show (and return to Thailand). It was all very quick.

Let her take along all the documents that others here have suggested and tell her there is no need to be nervous. The staff are very friendly.

Even if you are married it is tough if not impossible to obtain a Tourist visa.

Without detailing my own experience years and years ago many of the stuff noted is true, if she has traveled abroad on her own that is a good start, the Embassy know being Thailand many documents are forged. 

What I sense from reading many request like yours doing it yourself online the cost not refundable I havent looked at the site recently but you better have all your ducks line up able to upload with your application. People think the interview is the make or break in general but majority of decisions have already been made prior.

At times the frustration I read my opinion is use a lawyer that has a good reputation with the Embassy in their interview can honestly tell your wife her chances before proceeding.

Another opinion you mentioned Siam Legal, I ran as fast as I can!

I have been here for many years and there seem to be times when it was easier and times when it was near impossible. They are concerned that she will remain and work and you cannot guarantee that she won't... What swayed it for us was an interview and a sympathetic interviewer.  My GF at the time [now wife] met none of the qualifications but we came across as very honest. 

Immigration in the USA is a big political issue. I doubt it will be easy maybe not possible. I think rather than deal with the frustrating policies in the best of times, you might wait for a more favorable time. 

I have no credible information to offer, but judging from the current mess at the US southern border, it might be an end run by having her fly to Mexico and walk across the US border and demand a cell phone and monthly allowances in exchange for voting for a democrat in November. 🤪

Since nobody knows the algorithm used for accepting/refusing applications or the mind of the interviewer it’s impossible to know. Based on my friends experiences a woman traveling alone to meet her partner in USA is generally a red flag no matter her circumstances. That’s not to say she’ll be rejected, but scrutinized more. Being a long term employee is more favorable than own business since you can get someone to run the business for you. You living in USA, if the case, may work against you since it can be seen as an incentive for her to remain in USA permanently. 
Having said that, it’s worth the try applying. Just make sure you do it properly because if she’s rejected, it may get harder to get favorable outcome without changes of circumstances. Good luck. 

I am hoping to take my Thai wives son (27)  with me to the 2026 football  world cup. Having researched the requirements it would appear he will need the B2 visa. The B2 visa is a 10 year visa which enables the holder to visit as many times as they want up to 6 months per visit This is what I would call a leisure visa meaning for travel visit friends etc. The requirements for the B2 visa are on the U.S embassy website but it will mean an interview in Bangkok.

As an aside note the U.S had promised FIFA that if it was awarded the tournament it would make it easier for travelling fans to get visas. To date I have not seen any evidence of that but their are a few discussions on the internet about it.