Four Charges Filed Against Driver in Bus Fire That Killed 23

webfact

No mention of driver being submit for a blood test or breathalizer. They bolt to avoid such tests. 

Not even sure buses or commercial vehicles have to pass an anual roadworthy. Even if there was 200bht would get any operator the green light.

Gas buses should be banned. With tanks stored underneath they're nothing more than a ticking bomb.

Whilst there is no regulation and drivers can dodge repercussions, such carnage will continue.  

So many beautiful lives lost unnecessarily. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Major General Chayanon reported that Mr. Saman claimed he was the second bus in a convoy, driving at a speed of approximately 70-80 km/h.

If he did admit it was speeding at 80 km/h in the city, he was travelling above 100/110 km/h for sure in Bangkok traffic.

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The whole thing is just very sad. Those poor mites.

Making the bus driver the sacrificial lamb will not add anything.

It is just a distraction to pretend that something is being done.

The owner is responsible and should suffer the same fate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, watchcat said:

I bet it was a soi dog.

You obviously don't live around here.  There are no soi dogs in the area the road is pretty good. There has to have been a bus problem or a driver problem.

I hope they check the under carriage and doa blood test of the driver.

The only good thing was that it happened near a really good hospital

Edited by kingstonkid

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I guess there is just a chance he is telling the truth........it is hard to see how this will progress through the courts if he continues to claim a tyre burst, for whatever reason, and no one can prove otherwise.

If he was negligent, drunk, on his phone, falling asleep, I hope he rots in hell. 

Burns, not rot.

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

He fled the scene in an act of pure cowardice. What more evidence do you need???

The fact that he ran away from such a horrific accident should be enough to jail him for at least 10 years.

In the real world, part of being a coach or bus driver is the responsibility and safety of your passengers. This being Thailand all they care about is getting paid at the end of the month. 

The evidence I 'need' is just if there was CCTV to prove something, be it helpful or not to the driver's case.

I am in no way sticking up for the driver, who as you say fled in cowardice. However...

- fleeing in cowardice is the go-to instinctive reaction for Thais

- there have been cases where scapegoats are blamed for the wrongdoings of others, which could cause him to flee

- if the cause of the crash was poor maintenance or faulty parts, that is not the driver's fault

All I'm saying is that hard evidence needs to be seen before punishment is dealt out. I'm sure this is already weighing heavy on his soul... if he has one.

• Thumbs Up 1

brianthainess  Stupid statement IMO to enter an inferno like that would be impossible, your face would be burnt off at the door, even if you could get that close. 

brianthainess No, your comment is stupid (the driver should not be entering the bus)

The driver should never have left the bus until all the passengers had got out, IMO

Edited by scott1999
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, kuzmabruk said:

The government is responsible.  Vehicle safety checks annually.  Use technology, all inspections are videotaped and reviewed by AI.  Use the available tech for what is was designed for.  

The Technology as you put it has been available since I was 18, and I'm now 73, using it is another thing, It is training people how to use it and how to test correctly, using your eyes, ears, jacks, and levers, with a ridged list on what to check, A1 or a video won't help in that. The test centers do not even have basic testing equipment like a load tester for brake testing. Correct testing needs at least 2 testers. Look at how many vehicles you see with lights flashing 50 to the dozen. But me just Falang so what would I know, Thailand knows more than any other country init.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scott1999 said:

brianthainess  Stupid statement IMO to enter an inferno like that would be impossible, your face would be burnt off at the door, even if you could get that close. 

brianthainess No, your comment is stupid (the driver should not be entering the bus)

The driver should never have left the bus until all the passengers had got out, IMO

He got out to try and extinguish the fire twice, so your saying he should have just stayed on the bus without trying to put the fire out.................:post-4641-1156694572:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thai Police forensics say the bus which ignited yesterday killing 20 children and 3 teachers had 10 gas canisters distributed all around the lower deck, instead of 3 at the rear as per regulations. That explains the rapid, intense fire. How did this bus pass inspection?

n many countries you might expect the Transport Minister to resign over such a catastrophic failure. Let’s see what level of accountability we see from minister Suriya and his predecessor Saksayam…

https://x.com/pakhead/status/1841347188682846623

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

How could you run away when those poor kids are still trapped inside the bus? Beggars belief. 

I hope that book from those heights you are referring to crushes him.

Fleeing the scene is one thing, and expected here, but first thing I would be requesting is a blood test to see if he was under the influence.

I haven't heard anything to suggest they are doing that.

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thai Police forensics say the bus which ignited yesterday killing 20 children and 3 teachers had 10 gas canisters distributed all around the lower deck, instead of 3 at the rear as per regulations. That explains the rapid, intense fire. How did this bus pass inspection?

n many countries you might expect the Transport Minister to resign over such a catastrophic failure. Let’s see what level of accountability we see from minister Suriya and his predecessor Saksayam…

https://x.com/pakhead/status/1841347188682846623

It's amazing what thick brown envelopes can do, like magic, the bus is thoroughly inspected and passed.

You say He got out to try and extinguish the fire twice, so your saying he should have just stayed on the bus without trying to put the fire out.................:post-4641-1156694572:

And how many children could he have saved instead of trying to put the fire out (Twice)  which was unsuccessful anyway that's not the procedure the procedure is to get the passengers off the vehicle as fast as you can but what do I know I only had an operator's license for 20 years 

You just keep Tippy tapping on you computer idiot There are so many things in play here the condition of the vehicle the training to the driver the age of the vehicle of course but you do not leave passengers on the vehicle and get off the vehicle yourself. Nice to know what you would do if you were the driver

Screenshot 2024-10-02 123627.png

Edited by scott1999

I see they are going to throw the driver under the bus.  They should do a detailed investigation of that bus' maintenance records.  Careening into a guardrail shouldn't ignite a conflagration.

Just now, connda said:

I see they are going to throw the driver under the bus.  They should do a detailed investigation of that bus' maintenance records.  Careening into a guardrail shouldn't ignite a conflagration.

However, they should have laws that prosecute anyone who flees from a fatality accident if they were driving.  Thai culture seems to inculcate that running and hiding is what you do after an accident.

Cowards.

They need to charge the owner of the bus company for taking shortcuts and putting a death trap on the road.  It’s the rich owners who have connections in high places that have as much blame for those kids deaths.  Maybe start getting some competent and moral owners instead of rich people whose best quality is kissing butt and fake smiling.  

• Agree 1

Irrespective of whether he could/couldn't help, once he 'decided to flee to a relative's house in Ang Thong.' a very large book is going to land on him from a very large height.

How could you run away when those poor kids are still trapped inside the bus? Beggars belief. 

How could he ?

Because he is a cowardly Thai man.

They are everywhere.

• Agree 1

A Thai trait... started in 1941 and carried on since then.

No sense of responsibility or back-bone

• Agree 2

Latest news is as the bus had a blow out, it veered across the road & side swiped a black Mercedes Benz Sedan... The bus then carried on brushing the Central median barrier coming to a stop a short distance up the rd. Report says another bus stopped & that driver used his Fire extinguisher on it to no avail. The driver of Crash bus was obviously in a state of shock & panic. RIP to those who perished. 

Awful accident, Root cause of loss of life being sub standard vehicle safety standards & lack of inspections & enforcement. 

Report also said it was an Isuzu truck bed modified with a bus body, had Mercedes Badges front & rear but it was not an MB, it was a Death Trap! 

Edited by Lokie