Prof Brian Cox Declines Mars Journey, Prefers Moon Exploration

Social Media

image.png

Professor Brian Cox, the renowned physicist and TV personality, has revealed that despite his lifelong fascination with space, he would decline an opportunity to travel to Mars, describing such a trip as "horrible." The 56-year-old scientist, who transitioned from a career in music to become one of the UK’s most popular science communicators, expressed a preference for visiting the Moon instead.

Prof Brian Cox new show on the BBC will explore the Solar System

In an interview with *Radio Times*, Cox explained why a mission to Mars does not appeal to him, despite the allure of interplanetary exploration. "No, I wouldn’t go, it’d be horrible!" he said. "I can’t picture going on a two-year journey in a capsule – but I can picture going on a week-long journey in space. I was always obsessed with Apollo, so I’d love to go to the Moon."

Cox’s fascination with the Moon dates back to the Apollo 8 mission, which in 1968 became the first manned spacecraft to orbit the Moon. A photograph from that mission remains particularly significant for Cox, who described it as “one of the defining images” of his life. This connection to the early days of space exploration continues to inspire his work, as seen in his upcoming BBC Two series about the Solar System. The new series will delve into some of the lesser-known aspects of the Solar System, including its "hidden realms," "wildest weather," and "oddball" planets.

In the interview, Cox praised recent advances in space travel technology, particularly the development of reusable rockets by Elon Musk’s aerospace company, SpaceX. He acknowledged that such innovations have made space travel more accessible and cost-effective, especially for missions near Earth's orbit. "It’s cost-effective to operate near to the Earth’s orbit," Cox said, highlighting how these technological strides could revolutionize space exploration.

He also reflected on the historic Polaris Dawn mission, which SpaceX partially funded. The mission, led by billionaire Jared Isaacman, made headlines in September when Isaacman became the first private-sector astronaut to conduct a spacewalk. "It was a hell of an achievement – the furthest humans have been from Earth since Apollo 17 in 1972 and on what was basically a commercial flight. It’s high risk," Cox remarked. NASA hailed the mission as a “giant leap forward” for the commercial space industry, while Musk called it a “huge success.”

When asked whether the vast sums of money invested in space exploration were justified, Cox defended the expenditures. “The real answer is that investing very small amounts of money in the exploration of our cosmic neighbourhood is not something that should concern us, because it’s cost-positive,” he argued. He went on to explain the unpredictable nature of discovery, stating, “Nature is very complicated and intricate, and discoveries can come from the strangest of places.”

As Cox continues to inspire audiences with his insights into space, his reflections on the future of exploration underscore the importance of investing in the unknown, even if some frontiers—like Mars—are not destinations he would personally choose to visit. His love for the Moon, however, remains undiminished, and his passion for space exploration is as strong as ever.

Based on a report from: Daily Telegraph 2024-10-03

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

A sensible man then. If it's a 2 year journey in a small capsule with a number of other people then chances that none will still be living by the time it reaches Mars are high, IMO.

As it's apparently a one way trip, and I doubt it will be conducive for children, it'll be a lonely death for the last man alive.