Thailand’s Bold Move: Decriminalising Sex Work Sparks National Debate

snoop1130

Walking_street,pattaya,THAILAND_-_panoramio.jpg

Thailand's Prime Minister, Paetongtarn Shinawatra, is causing a stir with a proposal to develop an entertainment complex that would bring underground businesses, including sex work, into the formal economy. This initiative aims to boost government revenue through taxation, funding crucial welfare programmes in education, public health, and infrastructure.

Surang Janyam, director of SWING, an organisation advocating for sex workers' rights, underscores the importance of decriminalising sex work. "During Covid, many sex workers were left without compensation or welfare. Over 50% of the 500 sex workers we spoke to expressed a desire to be part of the labour system and pay taxes."

Brothel owners also support the plan, citing protection from extortion and illicit payments as key benefits. In Pattaya, focus groups revealed unanimous backing for the proposal, with local businesses ready to comply with taxation for legal protections.

However, Surang clarifies that the goal is decriminalisation, not legalisation, aiming to abolish laws criminalising the profession. Critics fear potential increases in child exploitation and trafficking. Surang counters that existing laws can address these issues and stresses that participation should be voluntary, allowing freelance workers to operate as small business owners.

Public perception remains a major obstacle, with moralistic debates often overshadowing economic arguments. Surang argues that economic realities should take precedence over subjective morality. "People need jobs and income. Morality is just an excuse to avoid tackling the real problem," she concludes.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-02

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

a proposal to develop an entertainment complex that would bring underground businesses, including sex work, into the formal economy.

Where are these "underground" businesses?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Unfortunately even if it is decriminalized it will be a job probably reserved for Thais.

So sadly none of us on this forum will be able to get a job making love to sex tourists.

Yeah, I really feel for you, as I understand how disappointed you are to not be able to do your dream work.

This comment was approximately what was expected from you. Totally weird and full of delusional fantasies.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gobbler said:

Where are these "underground" businesses?

Let´s explain it for you. With underground, they mean not registered or legal. Not that everyone work at cellar level. So, is it better now?

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Critics fear potential increases in child exploitation and trafficking.

I don't see how decriminalizing adult behavior would contribute to child exploitation.  Laws about that exploitation should still be enforced .  Same for trafficking.  If things were monitored or licensed wouldn't that make it harder to exploit?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Unfortunately even if it is decriminalized it will be a job probably reserved for Thais.

So sadly none of us on this forum will be able to get a job making love to sex tourists.

In New Zealand it is only legal for New Zealand Citizens to work in the profession. Foreigners entering the Trade do so illegally. I would hope Thailand would enact similar laws and make the age of 18 as minimum

10 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Yes it’s so sad

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, I really feel for you, as I understand how disappointed you are to not be able to do your dream work.

This comment was approximately what was expected from you. Totally weird and full of delusional fantasies.

I think he is making a joke don’t be so serious 

Edited by cnx101

Regardless of what some people think of sex workers most of them have no skills and have family and children that need their income.  Why not give them some dignity? Why not define them as legitimate workers?

I was in the SIB (US CID) during the Vietnam War period and we had a special Unit that looked after soldiers who had been with infected SWs. We promptly out them out of circulation until they were treated.  It kept the girls relatively healthy and our chaps a little better off.  You can't cure poverty and need but you can make life easier for those who are forced to work in the most unenviable occupations.

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Over 50% of the 500 sex workers we spoke to expressed a desire to be part of the labour system and pay taxes."

I find that hard to believe, most sex workers can easily find customers, even during the Covid shut down period.

They just joined dating sites or walked the streets, they will always find work.

As for declaring their full income in return for small benefits is something they would rather keep as it is now.

Put some savings away for a rainy day is the best way to go.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I find that hard to believe, most sex workers can easily find customers, even during the Covid shut down period.

They just joined dating sites or walked the streets, they will always find work.

As for declaring their full income in return for small benefits is something they would rather keep as it is now.

Put some savings away for a rainy day is the best way to go.

yeah, you can find horny here 24/7

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Let´s explain it for you. With underground, they mean not registered or legal. Not that everyone work at cellar level. So, is it better now?

What prostitution? 

According to the authorities there is none whenever they look. 

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Surang counters that existing laws can address these issues and stresses that participation should be voluntary, allowing freelance workers to operate as small business owners.

Even if someone opens a small brothel do they really think they will declare every baht earned?

Like the bar girls now, they declare their bar salary as their earnings but every trick they turn is a bonus.

Doubt if there will be any changes to the law, too  many HI-SO making money off the working girls and illegal business.How are they going to buy expensive watches and fancy cars on their salaries?. Especially the ones wearing brown uniforms.

22 minutes ago, Antioch said:

You can't cure poverty and need but you can make life easier for those who are forced to work in the most unenviable occupations.

Is it really that bad a choice given the alternatives? Sure at first it can be horrendous but many see it as the better option. Being a farm girl working in rice fields is not exactly a pleasant job either.

On one hand, assorted gov'ts in recent years have "vowed" to "get rid of the sex trade" (mainly in Pattaya for some reason).

And now on the other hand, they want to decriminalize it (I'm sure it's mainly so they can tax it).

So they don't "want their cake" - but they do want to tax it.

Just another day in "The Hub of Hubs".