Chinese Tourist Fined 5,000 Baht for Filming Social Media Video Content in Flooded River

webfact

image.jpeg

Chiang Mai — On October 3rd, 2024, Chiang Mai local media reported a Chinese man was seen floating in the strong currents of the Ping River near Nawarat Bridge in Chiang Mai, appearing relaxed as he filmed a video for social media.

Despite the swift current, he seemed unbothered, causing concern among locals who witnessed the incident. A good Samaritan alerted authorities, and the Nakorn Ping Radio Center dispatched officers and rescue teams to assist.

According to the Chiang Mai local media, they successfully rescued the Chinese man near Mengrai Bridge, after he had drifted 3-4 kilometers downstream.

The man was publicly identified as Li Bin, a Chinese tourist. He was taken to Mueang Chiang Mai Police Station where officers from the Immigration Police charged him with “Causing a public nuisance and alarm.”

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 

-- 2024-10-05

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

So, once again the RTP found an easy way to extort money for an individual. We have to call it extortion as they will find it very hard to keep their stance according to the law. This man was not hurting anyone, in distress or in anyway annoying the public. The one they call the good Samaritan is the one they should focus on, as that person seems to be annoyed or scared over things he/she cannot control. That person should be fined for interrupting a peaceful ride on the river..

The Chinese did not do anything wrong unless it is:

• Against the law to swim in the river.
  • Unlawful to use boat on the river.
  • Not legal to float and film on the river.

I don´t think they will find support in the law for such things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, mdr224 said:

“Causing a public nuisance and alarm.” He wasnt hurting anyone. Why dont they do anything about the chinese shouting indoors and spitting everywhere

The authorities are much too busy prosecuting young lady tourists for dressing up as schoolgirls for TikTok.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

He got rewarded for doing stupid things, that seems innocent, but as a previous white water kayaker and sup padler, it takes experience, equipment, and also knowing the river well to be safe, and not risk other peoples life if <deleted> happens, and the local fire department have to spend resources trying to save you. 

A flooding river is not easy to read, and death traps being created as the water rise or lower. he got most likely what he deserved. 

There are not enough courts or gaols if you want to stop people from doing stupid things.

I do not disagree with your comments about the dangers, but people need to learn how to cope with life, not want a nanny state to wrap them in cotton wool.

You never know where you can be fined for in Thailand... The laws and rules are being invented instantly ... It doesn't mean it is a stupid action of the man, but he was relaxed so nothing the mattter. If he got in trouble it could be another story

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

There are not enough courts or gaols if you want to stop people from doing stupid things.

I do not disagree with your comments about the dangers, but people need to learn how to cope with life, not want a nanny state to wrap them in cotton wool.

When people  call out the rescue team, it steals resources and time in an already chaotic situation in that area. 

When we had a rescue operation be it a climber, base jumper or kayaked, we waited to the rescue operation was finished before we did any activities that could risk another situation. 

At least how we used to think before, Not sure how the new look at me generation thinks about it, but we came from a time when every single accident got big news cover, and we had to defend our activities and also prevent them from become illegal. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

When people  call out the rescue team, it steals resources and time in an already chaotic situation in that area. 

When we had a rescue operation be it a climber, base jumper or kayaked, we waited to the rescue operation was finished before we did any activities that could risk another situation. 

At least how we used to think before, Not sure how the new look at me generation thinks about it, but we came from a time when every single accident got big news cover, and we had to defend our activities and also prevent them from become illegal. 

He did not need the rescue team.

I have read another article on this story and he is a regular wild water swimmer.

It was the interfering, namby-pamby, moaning locals that called out the rescue team.

They couldn't stand to see someone enjoying themselves.

He was not in any trouble.

Yes, one day he may be in trouble but that is only a maybe.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

He did not need the rescue team.

I have read another article on this story and he is a regular wild water swimmer.

It was the interfering, namby-pamby, moaning locals that called out the rescue team.

They couldn't stand to see someone enjoying themselves.

He was not in any trouble.

Yes, one day he may be in trouble but that is only a maybe.

You obviously know what you talking about, and how the locals in jealousy called him in as a risk pleasure seeker during flooding because he had to much fun 😁 

Li Bin?

Never heard of him.

I have heard of Lin Biao, however.

I wish it had been Lin Biao that they had caught, instead of Li Bin....Oh well....can't have everything.

image.png.fb2d5a738fd94726b2e92f71b09079f7.png

If it had been Lin Biao, they could have just thrown him back,....maybe....

• Sad 1

Based on what exactly were the 5,000 Baht - usually the official fee for anything which happened or not is 500 Baht. 

A quiet day at the news desk - nothing better to report on Thailand? Public transport safety, possible (yet most unlikely) corruption at DLT and the transport ministry etc. spring to mind ????? 

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, mdr224 said:

“Causing a public nuisance and alarm.” He wasnt hurting anyone. Why dont they do anything about the chinese shouting indoors and spitting everywhere

Come one... You know the police have to use any excuse to collect money. Since he was in a river i seriously doubt he actually broke any laws. But since the police had to leave their office they must be paid. 

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

You never know where you can be fined for in Thailand... The laws and rules are being invented instantly ... It doesn't mean it is a stupid action of the man, but he was relaxed so nothing the mattter. If he got in trouble it could be another story

Some years ago in Bangkok I was a passenger in a car owned and driven by Thai friend.Cops waved him down and extorted 100thb from him for having an oversize number plate!!!

You just never know what will happen next.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, mdr224 said:

You forgot about the ' Buffet locusts '  using Airport tarmac and public drains in the street to allow their children to urinate and defecate.

43 minutes ago, norbra said:

Some years ago in Bangkok I was a passenger in a car owned and driven by Thai friend.Cops waved him down and extorted 100thb from him for having an oversize number plate!!!

You just never know what will happen next.

Fined us on the outskirts of Bangkok for transporting a BBQ in the rear bin of our pickup, travelling from Pattaya to Isaarn.

The Barbie was fully and completely secured and going nowhere (The BBQ had cost 28,000 baht, so we secured it properly)

We were fined and his reason given was that we should have covered it with one of those flimsy tarpaulins, that are useless, blow all over the place and block your vision whilst driving.

500 baht he charged us and that was years ago.