Trump Haitians here is the link

bubblegum

2 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Springfield used to have a population of over 80,000, so there is probably some leeway, but perhaps 15,000 recent arrivals would strain low income housing.

Trump would never mention that.

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

AS President, could he not revoke their citizenship/residency or whatever?

Most are not citizens either.

Citizenship can't be revoked. 

Why would their status be revoked?

Don't say dogs and cats.

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/the-true-story-about-why-and-how-haitian-immigrants-came-to-springfield/VOJOZYVU6REMZOFXZOEQQ5RNNU/

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

AS President, could he not revoke their citizenship/residency or whatever?

With respect to US citizenship, I think that a naturalized citizen would have to have unlawfully obtained citizenship by lying or making misrepresentations on his or her application for citizenship or to have committed an act of expatriation such as serving as an officer in an adversary's military or government. Citizenship is pretty sticky.

I think residency can be revoked more easily, such as committing a felony. In all cases, the loss of citizenship or residency would be subject to due process. Trump could not unilaterally revoke either citizenship or residency as far as I can determine.

I think the temporary protected status under which many of the Haitian immigrants are legally in the US has a two-year duration and will expire unless they convert to another type of visa. I think it is also possible to renew this status, but the fact that it is subject to renewal makes it easier to lose.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, frank83628 said:

30,000 added to a population of 55,000, i'm sure all the residents were over the moon with that. were they included in any discussions about it?

Yes and they actually have no beef about it whatsoever.

43 minutes ago, simple1 said:

To repeat, the Haitians in Springfield have been vetted and granted refugee status by the US government. From your comments above it is obvious you're making assumptions based on trump's misinformation and whatever right of centre content you're reading. Concerning the impact of Haitians on the Springfield community, one thing is certain, not their fault, but ownership of Federal , State and NGOs. Blaming the Haitian legally processed refugees is nothing more than racism / demonisation of a minority, exacerbated by trump's lies and misinformation. People supporting trump's lies are equally responsible for generating hate speech and fracturing US society.

Westerners are not permitted to buy land in Thailand with very few granted citizenship. From memory it's approx 100 p.a. per nationality. Concerning countries with large immigrant intake it is generally acknowledged by economists on the overall positive outcome. Be interesting to observe what would happen if trump implemented his isolationist polices; generally forecast to have a very negative outcome for the US economy. No doubt you can quote some trump sycophant who claims otherwise.

i have no problem with genuine refugees seeking asylum and lets face it, the Clintons screwed over Haiti or parts of it so the US at least owes them something. regardless if they were given legal status,  dumping them all in a small town cannot be good for that community and resources. that would be a concern for the residents i'm sure and i'd wonder how much they were consulted on the matter.
i can guarantee nobody in DC gives a <deleted> about either side.
to be honest the Springfield thing is of little interest to me, but all of a sudden youre pearl clutching over something you didn't even know about until Trump mentioned it the debate a few weeks ago!
Americans were permitted to buy land in Thailand, until recently that is. some treaty from the Vietnam war i  believe, others did it via a companies, of which the local Thais have grown wealthy from.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, frank83628 said:

i have no problem with genuine refugees seeking asylum and lets face it, the Clintons screwed over Haiti or parts of it so the US at least owes them something. regardless if they were given legal status,  dumping them all in a small town cannot be good for that community and resources. that would be a concern for the residents i'm sure and i'd wonder how much they were consulted on the matter.
i can guarantee nobody in DC gives a <deleted> about either side.
to be honest the Springfield thing is of little interest to me, but all of a sudden youre pearl clutching over something you didn't even know about until Trump mentioned it the debate a few weeks ago!
Americans were permitted to buy land in Thailand, until recently that is. some treaty from the Vietnam war i  believe, others did it via a companies, of which the local Thais have grown wealthy from.

No, I am not pearl clutching, the reality is if find trump and MAGA followers demonisation of a legal presence of a minority is racist and vile. I fail to understand why MAGA view such behaviour as acceptable.

Whilst it's off topic US citizens cannot buy land in Thailand. I understand buying though company entity is also illegal unless a sufficient Thai partnership, though as we know corruption is rampant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, frank83628 said:

so where did the 28k go?

Here's a good analysis of what happened to cities like Springfield, OH:  https://www.industryweek.com/talent/article/22028380/the-abandonment-of-small-cities-in-the-rust-belt

Perhaps some of the better-educated or those with marketable skills moved on to cities in the South or West where populations grew. Possibly  places like Springfield simply stopped attracting the low-skilled labor that filled the steel mills and factories back in the day and the population simply wasn't replaced by newcomers from rural areas. The Haitian immigrants are filling a void that was created over decades and by forces that were beyond the control of any president or the understanding of any congress.

As you can see in the linked article, despite promises, Trump did nothing for places like Springfield. Perhaps it's not really Trump's fault since the jobs that made Springfield thrive are very unlikely to return.