Banana waste

fieldsofgreen

Hi, I want to buy a chipper to handle banana trees and banana waste. Maybe small diameter branches too, but mainly banana trees, of which I have several hundred. Can somebody recommend a chipper that would do the job. I have so far only seen the Karten, which is for up to 4 inches, but not sure if moisture laden banana trees would clog it up. Thanks in Anticipation.

Edited by fieldsofgreen
sticky l
  • Thumbs Up 1

A banana tree can be a quite big, finding a chipper that would chop them, most chippers are self-feeding,  the plant/branch go's in between two rollers that are spring mounted and will open as the tree/branch is feed in ,if the tree branch is to big it will not feed in ( you could take the spring out make feeing easier),  banana trees are soft easy to chop, could you cut the bigger ones down the middle? ,they would then fit in a chipper blockage should not be a problem.

For chippers try   patipong.com, they are in Pathum Thani north of Bangkok, they is/was videos of their chippers .

Also look at past posts on chipper shredders on AV.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2024 at 4:31 AM, fieldsofgreen said:

not sure if moisture laden banana trees would clog it up. 

Yes, wet and stringy, fibers will wrap cutters and shaft and clog. Only a larger chipper will do it. 

https://vermeerthailand.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/bc700xl-brush-chipper-spec-sheet-updated.pdf

https://vermeerthailand.com/contact-us/

Cost-effective alternative: chop and drop (cut and leave lay) for mulch. add manure for fertility. 

What variety are you growing? What province? 

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It would be nice to have seen it in action on the video though.

This is an older video,i believe they are now using a bigger engine.

You can ask them,they do speak English and respond soon.

Edited by jvs
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jvs said:

This is an older video,i believe they are now using a bigger engine.

You can ask them,they do speak English and respond soon.

Thank you for the second video.

My biggest problem is that I am now 80 and humping that around without some form of transport will not be easy. My wife is 60 this month and I think it would be harder for her.

However as we will need a crew to hack (prune) the trees down  from some 15 to 20 metres to about 6 to 8 metres, they can do the hard work.