S/E Asian Thai Consulates going to eVisa online system effective Tuesday Oct 8th

15 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Depends on the definition of residence.  I think what they really want is proof of presence.

People should remember that the counries already providing e-visas do so on the basis the applicant has the legal right to long term residence in the country concerned, short term eg tourist visas are not acceptable residence.

Some countries are a bit unclear but this is how the HK site puts it

• Confirmation of legal residence, in the context of the Hong Kong SAR, generally refers to (a) Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card (“A” HKID); (b) Hong Kong Identity Card indicating right to land (“R” HKID) or unconditional stay permit (“U” HKID); or (c) valid stay permit issued by Hong Kong Immigration (for “C” HKID holders).

• Confirmation of legal residence, in the context of the Macao SAR, generally refers to (a) Macao Permanent Resident ID Card (flip-side to be submitted along with front-side); or (b) valid stay permit issued by Macao Immigration. https://hongkong.thaiembassy.org/en/page/visa-info

14 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Teething problems are no good when you've got an expiration date on current visa.

The system and website needs built properly and tested properly....which is unlikely.

The system was rolled out at the start of 2019, initially in China, and worked reasonably well. It was then rolled out in the UK and run into problems. I suspect that although the No of visas processed in China was large it may have been on a batch basis rather than individual. The system freezing problems in the UK gave it a bad name but they were resolved fairly quickly. I think France was next and most issues had been dealt with by then. My Non O applications since 2021 have been very straightforward, last year got the visa in about 50 hours.