• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 0

Survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki Awarded Nobel Peace Prize for Nuclear Disarmament

2. 0

Controversy Surrounds Guardian Review of Oct 7 Documentary on Hamas Massacre

3. 0

Unlikely Justice for Victims of Novichok Poisoning, Says Former PM Theresa May

4. 0

The Growing Influence of the US Far Right on Ireland's Extremist Movements

5. 0

Boris Johnson Hints at Potential Return to Front-Line Politics

6. 0

Pro-Palestinian ‘mob-rule tactics’ Force Postponement of Braverman’s Cambridge Speech

7. 0

Taylor Swift Donates $5 Million to Hurricane Relief Efforts

8. 0

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

9. 0

DeSantis Pushes Back on Climate Change’s Role in Stronger Storms

10. 0

German Politician Calls for Ban on Greta Thunberg Over Pro-Palestinian Protest Involvement

11. 0

U.S. Seeks to Weaken Hezbollah’s Grip on Lebanon Amid Israeli Offensive

12. 0

YouTuber and BBC Star Yung Filly Arrested in Australia Over Alleged Hotel Rape

13. 4

Thailand Live Saturday 12 October 2024

Reasons of change

georgegeorgia

On 10/7/2024 at 8:01 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Yes but please "analyse ' the psychology 

We are talking about the Coloured Licensed Pattaya taxis here before I go on 

The man was in his 50's he was making 500 baht a trip in his licensed taxi and this was years before Grab /Uber 

Then Comes along a multi national called Grab and says we are paying you now 80 baht ,take it or accept it 

That's why he was angry 

Jomtien to Pattaya 79 baht 

As he said this is wrong before he got 300 

Change..we call it ..sad

Like any service sector job, times change and so does competition. If he can't compete then time to change your game or move on. Claiming a large income years ago vs now, well in your example seems he was overcharging like many taxi services and now he can't because he has competition. He doesn't have to take those low paying fares.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like my man above mentioned.  Like many things it was in a bubble, Taxi man thinks like many investors that things always go up.  

Motorbike Taxis charge to much in my opinion.  I have a motorbike and know how much the bike, maintenance, gas, and time what a fair price should be.  I refuse and would rather take truck taxi or walk.

A car taxi is different and am willing to pay more because the car is more expensive to own and they wait in traffic longer.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, J Branche said:

Motorbike Taxis charge to much in my opinion.  I have a motorbike and know how much the bike, maintenance, gas, and time what a fair price should be.  I refuse and would rather take truck taxi or walk.

Cutting off ones own nose to spite ones face..... I would rather hand over 50 baht for a 1km ride that trying to cross the dangerous road in the heat and strong sun. 

21 hours ago, Dan O said:

Like any service sector job, times change and so does competition. If he can't compete then time to change your game or move on. Claiming a large income years ago vs now, well in your example seems he was overcharging like many taxi services and now he can't because he has competition. He doesn't have to take those low paying fares.

"Who moved my cheese?"...good book with stories of people and biz models that they thought would never end and then it does end....sit and piss and moan or adapt or die.

• Agree 2

On 10/7/2024 at 7:28 AM, georgegeorgia said:

So in Pattaya 5 days now.

I have compiled statistics of change and change management a fascinating subject which relates to Pattaya in particular the Taxi service 

Change is a big thing for many including taxi drivers 

They could charge what they wanted many years ago particularly in high season 

I also used a Bolt service wonderful thankyou Bolt  , they sent a taxi from Jomtien beach to Pattaya 80b a taxi turns up not a normal car but a taxi Pattaya in colors

During the trip he complains that 10 years ago he could ask for 300b for the same trip now only he gets less than 80 baht 

The good times as he described are gone 

He used to own 4 Pattaya taxis 

He could get as he said 800 baht to Sanctuary of truth and this was 5 years ago 

I tipped him and apologised ,thankyou for your service Sir I said and bowed to him 

Taxi drivers used to earn big money Not anymore with Grab or bolt !

They forced him to either ACCEPT their price or go alone 

He was angry and justified , BOLT gets down to 60 B from Jomtien to Pattaya for a air conditioning taxi !

Surely they deserve more ,he was making 50,000 baht a month 10 years ago in his taxi he told me ,not now thanks to Bolt and Grab  the multi national pests 

Times change unfortunately 

Yes he is right , taxis were charging HIGH 10 years ago

Tipping because you must there is justified 

Please don't get me started on the cultural revolution it's not necessary ,Change is a big thing 

Did you pay him the 300 baht he used to get back in the good old days?  Bowing and scraping from a farang, while gratifying, doesn't keep his mia noi in durian. That requires cold, hard cash. 

On 10/7/2024 at 7:28 AM, georgegeorgia said:

So in Pattaya 5 days now.

I have compiled statistics of change and change management a fascinating subject which relates to Pattaya in particular the Taxi service 

Change is a big thing for many including taxi drivers 

They could charge what they wanted many years ago particularly in high season 

I also used a Bolt service wonderful thankyou Bolt  , they sent a taxi from Jomtien beach to Pattaya 80b a taxi turns up not a normal car but a taxi Pattaya in colors

During the trip he complains that 10 years ago he could ask for 300b for the same trip now only he gets less than 80 baht 

The good times as he described are gone 

He used to own 4 Pattaya taxis 

He could get as he said 800 baht to Sanctuary of truth and this was 5 years ago 

I tipped him and apologised ,thankyou for your service Sir I said and bowed to him 

Taxi drivers used to earn big money Not anymore with Grab or bolt !

They forced him to either ACCEPT their price or go alone 

He was angry and justified , BOLT gets down to 60 B from Jomtien to Pattaya for a air conditioning taxi !

Surely they deserve more ,he was making 50,000 baht a month 10 years ago in his taxi he told me ,not now thanks to Bolt and Grab  the multi national pests 

Times change unfortunately 

Yes he is right , taxis were charging HIGH 10 years ago

Tipping because you must there is justified 

Please don't get me started on the cultural revolution it's not necessary ,Change is a big thing 

Did you pay him the 300 baht he used to get back in the good old days?  Bowing and scraping from a farang, while gratifying, doesn't keep his mia noi in durian. That requires cold, hard cash. 

The man was in his 50's he was making 500 baht a trip in his licensed taxi and this was years before Grab /Uber 

Then Comes along a multi national called Grab and says we are paying you now 80 baht ,take it or accept it 

That's why he was angry 

Change..we call it ..sad

Your logic is a bit odd, bro.  What you are talking about is like feeding stray dogs that expect everyone to give them roast beef sandwiches without doing anything.  I downloaded Grab one day after my now wife and I asked 10 taxis to take us home (30 minute trip) and use the meter.  Now I only use Grab or Bolt.  If a taxi stops and asks me where I am going, I ignore them.  If they are persistent, I tell them to  F off.  

On 10/8/2024 at 10:15 AM, Sandboxer said:

Classic fresh off the boat guava simp move.

That's why he was angry 

Change..we call it ..sad

Your logic is a bit odd, bro.  What you are talking about is like feeding stray dogs that expect everyone to give them roast beef sandwiches without doing anything.  I downloaded Grab one day after my now wife and I asked 10 taxis to take us home (30 minute trip) and use the meter.  Now I only use Grab or Bolt.  If a taxi stops and asks me where I am going, I ignore them.  If they are persistent, I tell them to  F off.  

It's funny because it's true!  I totally agree.

That's why he was angry 

Change..we call it ..sad

This is exactly why taxis and grab drivers have been in so many very violent brawls.  The Grab drivers must do their job according to the price.  They get to choose to accept and pick you up or not.  You can tip them if you like, but they cant overcharge or demand tips like taxi drivers do almost every time.

Admittedly, I took a regular taxi today.  Only because I was standing outside a hopsital on crutches with a broken leg.  One of the hospital staff members told the driver where I was going and helped me into the car.  Foolishly, I assumed it was legit.  two blocks down the road I notices he hadn't turned on the meter.  He asked for 500 baht.  I refused.  He begged and also begged to take the tollway which cost 110 baht and took 12 minutes longer than taking the main roads.  They are required by law to use the meter.  If most of them are breaking the law and overcharging, why use their service.  And why in the h@!! would you tip them?

I rarely tip because they rarely use the meter with

no questions asked.  In those rare circumstances, I let them keep the change or give a small tip.

With the driver today the total was 322. NOT 500.  As I was transferring the money and he demanded and begged for 400, so I tipped him the exact amount.  Regular taxis should be grateful to even have a passenger.  Not overcharging and refusing to use the meter or denying people rides.  Both actions are illegal and the public has been encouraged to report the drivers.

That's why he was angry 

Change..we call it ..sad

On 10/7/2024 at 8:21 AM, LosLobo said:

I recently hailed a cab whose driver employed the old 'accelerator-brake-accelerator repeat' methodology to save fuel, a technique I haven't encountered here in 20 years.

How does that work?

15 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Admittedly, I took a regular taxi today.  Only because I was standing outside a hopsital on crutches with a broken leg.  One of the hospital staff members told the driver where I was going and helped me into the car.  Foolishly, I assumed it was legit.  two blocks down the road I notices he hadn't turned on the meter.  He asked for 500 baht.  I refused.  He begged and also begged to take the tollway which cost 110 baht and took 12 minutes longer than taking the main roads.  They are required by law to use the meter.  If most of them are breaking the law and overcharging, why use their service.  And why in the h@!! would you tip them?

I rarely tip because they rarely use the meter with

no questions asked.  In those rare circumstances, I let them keep the change or give a small tip.

With the driver today the total was 322. NOT 500.  As I was transferring the money and he demanded and begged for 400, so I tipped him the exact amount.  Regular taxis should be grateful to even have a passenger.  Not overcharging and refusing to use the meter or denying people rides.  Both actions are illegal and the public has been encouraged to report the drivers.

you need to be on them straight away and challenge them if they don;t use the meter, if they create a fuss i just get out at the soonest opportunity, admittedly possibly not an option in your current situation.