Macron Warns EU Could Face Collapse Without Urgent Reforms

Social Media

1 hour ago, candide said:

Small magnitude? You're kidding, aren't you? 😀

Not at all. The real reasons for Russia's steallar economic performance currently is Putin's genius fiscal policy. He saved  yesterday to spend today, when he needs it. Yes a small part is spent on the military, but the overwhelming majority of the spending goes to other areas. Infrastructure is one. Then they are attracting investment from India and China.

Like I said, many factors, most not related to military spending.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Well, this is disappointing on so many levels. I thought you had read the Economist article, but there are none so blind as those who refuse to see. The facts are there. if you want to rather believe bull<deleted> articles written by beautician with no knowledge of reality, up to you. China now owns Russia, lol, people write some nonsense on here.

This was only to be expected when someone is unable to offer points to directly counter an argument.

Rather than critique the pieces written by Dr. Foucart - who holds a PhD in Economics and lectures at the University of Lancaster - you adopt a patronising tone and dismiss him insultingly as "a beautician". Sad really. I thought that you were better than that.

(Note to any beauticians reading: In no way am I insulting your profession. You have your skill set but I doubt that it extends to an economic analysis of a war-torn economy).

I have read the Economist article. It is much more nuanced than you suggest with your cherry picking of sections. It can be summarised as stating that the Russian economy has been surprisingly resilient, but it questions whether this resilency can be sustained in the medium/long term.

Incredible how some people can become so blinded by their own prejudice. 

1 hour ago, Cameroni said:

As of 2023, the military expenditure share of Saudi Arabia's GDP was about 7.09 percent. So would you say military spending drives the Saudi economy, that Saudia Arabia is a war economy?

Algeria's military spending is 8.2  percent of GDP. Is Algeria's economy drivien by military spending? Is Algeria a war economy?

10% of GDP is minimally above levels other nations spend in peace time. It is most definitely not the reason why Russia's economyis blooming. The reasons for this are explained in the Economist article. Since you can read it, don't forget to read those parts. I've kindly pasted them above.

Nice bit of cherry picking again with a dose of deflection and a falsehood thrown in for good measure.

The average worldwide defence spend by nations is around 3.5% of their GDP, significantly - not minimally - below Russia's 10%.

Saudi Arabia is not a war economy. Presumably, it spends a relatively large 7% of its' GDP on defence as it perceives a threat from Iran (and perhaps, Israel?). Its' economy is built on petroleum exports. It runs a budget surplus of +/-3% GDP: It can afford to finance its' defence spending in the medium/ long term. Russia can't.

I know little about Algeria and, frankly, have neither the time nor interest to research it further. (Apologies to any Algerians reading. No insult is intended). However, I don't know what point you think Algeria's relative high defence spend proves?

You have posted The Economist article so many times in so many different places that imo all that needs to be said about it has been said. By way of a change, perhaps you could offer a more detailed analysis of the attached article by "a beautician", and explain how Russia will be able to afford to rebuild its' own infrastructure (and that of the Crimea and Donbass should it gain control of those regions)?

https://theconversation.com/russias-economy-is-now-completely-driven-by-the-war-in-ukraine-it-cannot-afford-to-lose-but-nor-can-it-afford-to-win-221333

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

This was only to be expected when someone is unable to offer points to directly counter an argument.

Rather than critique the pieces written by Dr. Foucart - who holds a PhD in Economics and lectures at the University of Lancaster - you adopt a patronising tone and dismiss him insultingly as "a beautician". Sad really. I thought that you were better than that.

(Note to any beauticians reading: In no way am I insulting your profession. You have your skill set but I doubt that it extends to an economic analysis of a war-torn economy).

I have read the Economist article. It is much more nuanced than you suggest with your cherry picking of sections. It can be summarised as stating that the Russian economy has been surprisingly resilient, but it questions whether this resilency can be sustained in the medium/long term.

Incredible how some people can become so blinded by their own prejudice. 

I like how you apologise to the beauticians of the world, they are very easily offended. Good job,

That piece by Renaud is not worthy of any critique. To say China owns Russia is obviously the product of a sick fantasist mind.

The second article, even the title is already a failure. Russia can't afford to lose and can't afford to win? What??? Because Russia can't rebuild the infrastructure? Has this part time non-tenured  Lancaster lecturer ever set foot in Russia?  They've built structures only matched by New York, if there's one thing the Russians can do is build giant  infrastructure.

If he had ever been to Russia he would know that the last concern Russia has is a crumbling infrastructure. It's ludicrous. Russia is fighting for its very survival as an independent nation. As a unique and proud culture, unbeholden to the US, like the slaves in Europe. We should all support Russia in this glorious aim. If there's no money to build a bridge this year, do you think they care? They'll build it in 2 or 3 years. It's a non-issue.

Besides, the very notion that Russia could lose this war is laughable. There is absolutely no conceivable possibility that Russia could lose this war with things as they stand. Russia is winning. And Russia will win this war.

Edited by Cameroni

13 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

I like how you apologise to the beauticians of the world, they are very easily offended. Good job,

👍 Thanks.

That piece by Renaud is not worthy of any critique. To say China owns Russia is obviously the product of a sick fantasist mind.

Cut and paste is so useful:

"This was only to be expected when someone is unable to offer points to directly counter an argument."

The second article, even the title is already a failure. Russia can't afford to lose and can't afford to win? What??? Because Russia can't rebuild the infrastructure? Has this part time non-tenured  Lancaster lecturer ever set foot in Russia?  They've built structures only matched by New York, if there's one thing the Russians can do is build giant  infrastructure.

The author wasn't commenting on Russia's ability to built the physical structures but questioning how it will be financed. But then I  suspect you know that and choose to defect rather than answer the question.

You seem to know a lot about Dr. Foucart's conditions of employment.

If he had ever been to Russia he would know that the last concern Russia has is a crumbling infrastructure. It's ludicrous.

So there has been no physical damage to Russian infrastructure- or that in the Crimea and Donbass - as a result of this war? 

Russia is fighting for its very survival as an independent nation. As a unique and proud culture, unbeholden to the US, like the slaves in Europe. We should all support Russia in this glorious aim. If there' no money to build a bridge this year, do you think they care? They'll build it in 2 or 3 years. It's a non-issue.

Besides, the very notion that Russia could lose this war is laughable. There is absolutely no conceivable possibility that Russia could lose this war with things as they stand. Russia is winning. And Russia will win this war.

Nice rant. Lifted from RT or Rossiyskaya Gazeta?

• Thumbs Up 1