Wine In Checked Baggage

wimpy

People will probably shout at me, but when I travel, I put everything I want into my checked luggage, (except blatantly illegal things i.e. drugs, weapons).

At most, some items may be confiscated, so don't put anything you simply can not afford to lose.

BTW think about how many times you have been asked to open your bags at international airports.

Edited by CanadaSam
Added BTW
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wimpy said:

Can I bring a few (6) bottles of wine into Thailand in my checked baggage, declaring  it to customs? What is the duty rate on wine?

2 years ago I had three bottles of whisky (2 expensive as gifts, 1 not so expensive) in my checked luggage. When I was going through customs at Suvarnabhumi I was directed to put my suitcase through the x-ray machine. They then opened it and located my stash. I was told I could only bring one bottle through. I proffered the cheapest bottle to the customs chap and he let me on my way with with the other two bottles.

Luck of the draw really whether you get pulled aside for a check or suitcase x-ray. In my last 50+ arrivals I have been pulled over twice.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Keeps said:

2 years ago I had three bottles of whisky (2 expensive as gifts, 1 not so expensive) in my checked luggage. When I was going through customs at Suvarnabhumi I was directed to put my suitcase through the x-ray machine. They then opened it and located my stash. I was told I could only bring one bottle through. I proffered the cheapest bottle to the customs chap and he let me on my way with with the other two bottles.

Luck of the draw really whether you get pulled aside for a check or suitcase x-ray. In my last 50+ arrivals I have been pulled over twice.

A good result; better than many similar stories I have heard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1