Kamala Harris' Election Prospects Slip in Prediction Market Amid Trump's Surge

Social Media

So one of the more active trolls on this site posted something about this a day or two ago and the next think you know this site is posting an official story about it.  I'm sure it's just a coincidence.  🤔

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Social Media said:

Nate Silver, a well-known pollster and advisor for Polymarket, provided some insight into the recent shift in the odds. According to Silver, the surge in bets for Trump may be linked to a combination of market boredom and speculative trading. "A couple of people have asked me what's behind this, and my theory is that there isn't much," Silver commented in his newsletter on Monday. "Sometimes market sentiment has a mind of its own, and that can especially happen when traders are bored and angsty because they're in the doldrums."

Silver also noted that while there has been a history of bettors trying to sway public opinion through their trades, such tactics have become increasingly difficult. "It's too costly to keep bets artificially high for long periods," Silver explained. He added that the majority of recent bets likely stem from either genuine Trump supporters or traders hoping to capitalize on market movements.

Just about says it all, I think. Pollsters & betting platforms need CONSTANT CHANGE to continue making money.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, neeray said:

" Polymarket’s odds are determined by the "collective wisdom" of bettors. Enough said !

And it's a site run by Peter Thiel, one of the billionaires trying to shoehorn the Oligarchy into the Presidency. Very reliable and I'm sure it's not at all open to manipulation!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, neeray said:

" Polymarket’s odds are determined by the "collective wisdom" of bettors. Enough said !

Successful 'Bettors' are worth a listen. We set out to make money. not to lose it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, flexomike said:

She is going to make up for it on the very credible shows of the View and Howard Stern - 555

I had to read that a couple times to realise it was sarcasm.

As for Silver's explanation, clutching at straws IMO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

The platform, which is partially funded by Peter Thiel, a longtime supporter of Donald Trump

I stopped reading at this point.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I stopped reading at this point.

Had you continued you'd know that the bettors are the ones driving the predictions, not him.

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

Polymarket’s odds are determined by the "collective wisdom" of bettors, rather than by external indicators such as polls or expert predictions.

• Agree 1

Forbes reported that one anonymous user by the name of "Fredi9999"upped his bets on a Trump win to over $4 million. Polymarkets does not limit individual bettors like their nearest competitors like Predictlt ($850 limit) or Kalshi. So this big swing could be due to this one individual or a handful of big ticket bettors rather than a material shift in the election landscape.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2024/10/07/trumps-election-odds-spike-on-polymarket-as-musk-touts-election-betting-site/

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong words

I wonder if she secretly is hoping she loses? she must know by now she is not up to doing the job. She cannot even answer simple questions and seems to have almost no idea about foreign policy. The DEI selection if ever there was one.

It seems like shades of the 2020 Democratic primary. The more Harris is exposed to the public, the less they like her.  But sadly, her campaign tried the 'hide in the basement' strategy a bit too early.  Even a compliant media can cover up her faults for only so long.