Businessman Sued over Holiday Home that Looks Like Temple Pavilion

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

One example of a Thai employing a Thai builder who can't follow plans is a lousy justification for renting over buying.  That's not rocket science, either.  He wouldn't be in the position that he is if he'd chosen a different builder!

Oh you think this is quite unique?.....5555

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

One example of a Thai employing a Thai builder who can't follow plans is a lousy justification for renting over buying.  That's not rocket science, either.  He wouldn't be in the position that he is if he'd chosen a different builder!

More an argument against building. Better to buy something already built.

Rent money is dead money.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Anantachai detailed how the contractor's deviance from the original plan came to light after an independent engineer's inspection on September 6. The absence of appropriate permits and oversight, alongside substandard material use, breached both project specifications and trust.

Sue the contractor, but some fault lays with you for not keeping an eye on things.

10 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

More an argument against building. Better to buy something already built.

Rent money is dead money.

When you're dead you can't take it with you either..

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

That is not a pavillion, it's a prasat (specifically Phra Thinang Dusit Maha Prasat).  Prasats feature an ornate roof structure, usually multi-tiered.  They are reserved for royalty.

A pavillion (in Thai, saalaa) is an open side structure used as a meeting place, or for resting.

In my mind, the new build looks like neither.

Thanks. Only thing is this is what I got when I Googled Thai pavilion pics....

Screenshot (1334).png

15 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Never buy...only ever rent.

It seems like you got some confused and sad emojis from suckers who "invested" in Thailand. Don't worry bro....you are coming out ahead.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

citing a monk's recommendation as the basis of their faith in the contractor's abilities

Monk - Hardly a professional source for construction advice. Why not an architect.

"Basis of their faith"? How about confirming history of actual performance - you know, a FACT-Based recommendation? Maybe contact the Council of Engineers for an expert.

17 hours ago, Denim said:

You cannot leave the construction of your home to any builder . You absolutely HAVE TO BE THERE EVERY DAY  to oversee the project and make sure you are getting what you paid for and that no corners are being cut. It can be tedious but it is the best way to guarentee you get what you want.

Some of the idiotic things our builders tried to do beggar belief because the foreman was more intent on his newspaper than supervising the workers. Had I not been there to supervise it would have ended badly.

That first paragraph is almost exactly what my Thai wife told me last week, when the discussion of having a house built in Thailand occurred.  

Edited by radiochaser

2 hours ago, connda said:

I don't see how that looks like a "temple pavilion."  

If you think about the sala where you sit for prayers at a funeral, for example, rather than the main chapel and buildings with the decorated roof, then I think it has a passing resemblance. My local temple had five or six such buildings and they looked not dissimilar. 

18 hours ago, Denim said:

You cannot leave the construction of your home to any builder . You absolutely HAVE TO BE THERE EVERY DAY  to oversee the project and make sure you are getting what you paid for and that no corners are being cut. It can be tedious but it is the best way to guarentee you get what you want.

Some of the idiotic things our builders tried to do beggar belief because the foreman was more intent on his newspaper than supervising the workers. Had I not been there to supervise it would have ended badly.

If you have had no experience with  construction you will make matters worse 

You need experience in Thai construction methods before you can have any hope of supervising a house construction in Thailand.

1 hour ago, itsari said:

If you have had no experience with  construction you will make matters worse 

You need experience in Thai construction methods before you can have any hope of supervising a house construction in Thailand.

Not at all. You don't need to know anything to make sure a window is in the right place or the right tiles go to the right room or that a wall is built to the correct height.

Just now, Denim said:

Not at all. You don't need to know anything to make sure a window is in the right place or the right tiles go to the right room or that a wall is built to the correct height.

That's as good as you could inspect 

Concrete reinforcing sizes, thickness of steel used on roofing are just two examples of knowledge most do not have.

That is where the Thai builder will save on if you have no knowledge.

Just now, itsari said:

That's as good as you could inspect 

Concrete reinforcing sizes, thickness of steel used on roofing are just two examples of knowledge most do not have.

That is where the Thai builder will save on if you have no knowledge.

In a perfect world yes.  I was speaking to an old guy in the village and he asked me who had built the house. I told and he appeared to approve. He then told me his own experience with another builder who is , I believe ' now the village headman. He said that this builder did not supervise the construction enough with the result that his minions did not put enough rebar in one of the kangs ( wall supporting foundations )  with the result that once the wall was on it it cracked and the wall on it cracked with it. Builder said it was not his fault just stupid employee.

Most of the village workers are not trained builders. They are just day laborours. The builder you hire has the job of assembling a team of workers. He is supposed to be the one with the knowledge and should be the site foreman but they are often not upto the mark.

I think most people having a house built these days can swat up on the internet and learn from the experience of others how things should be done. There are dedicated Thai websites where you can go for advice on everything these days plus a zillion youtube videos on the subject.

The advantage of having a home built is that you can have it where you want. Away from things you don't like. If you buy something on a modern estate the house might be fine but it is a real lottery as to who you will get as neighbors.

If you are single with no intention of ever getting in a permanent relationship then renting is the simple option. If on the other hand you are married and your wife has a nice bit of land then at least she will have a home if you should die first.

Golden rule is don't do anything if you can't afford to walk away from it. That is , don't put your life savings into it or burn your bridges .