Is this a scam at Phuket arrivals?

kwilco

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

It's only a scam if you pay for it but then don't get it.

I think I could scam you easily then.  the best thing about a scam is people don't realise it is one - all the other passengers are made to suffer longer queues so a few officials can take a bit of extra cash. They're scamming all the other passengers.

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

Scam? Sounds like a bargain to me! I'd happily 300 baht to be fast-tracked if the queue was really long!

all the best scams work because the punters don't know it's a scam.

5 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

If you get a receipt, it is not a scam.

I'm quite sure the definition of scam has nothing to do with a receipt... 

"I have a bridge for sale and can give you a receipt"...   (I think that makes the point). 

As Kwilco pointed out - IF the 'faster lanes' are kept clear for Immigration Officers to allow fee paying travellers a 'faster track' - then this is at the cost of 'all other travellers' as their lanes are kept slower. 

If this is not and official policy and instead a 'locally employed tactic' for the Immi officers to make extra money, as pointed out by Austin, its not quite a 'scam', but is most definitely corruption. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm quite sure the definition of scam has nothing to do with a receipt... 

"I have a bridge for sale and can give you a receipt"...   (I think that makes the point). 

As Kwilco pointed out - IF the 'faster lanes' are kept clear for Immigration Officers to allow fee paying travellers a 'faster track' - then this is at the cost of 'all other travellers' as their lanes are kept slower. 

If this is not and official policy and instead a 'locally employed tactic' for the Immi officers to make extra money, as pointed out by Austin, its not quite a 'scam', but is most definitely corruption. 

Not necessarily corruption , Immigration could use the money to employ more immigration officers .

People pay 300 Baht for quick service

Thais get employed .

Non paying people get quicker service .

Everyone's a winner , 

24 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Not necessarily corruption , Immigration could use the money to employ more immigration officers .

People pay 300 Baht for quick service

Thais get employed .

Non paying people get quicker service .

Everyone's a winner , 

Err. hope you're saying this tongue-in-cheek, as. apart from the obvious, it's a completely flawed logic !

• Thumbs Up 1