Nationwide Alcohol Sales Ban Set for October 17th as Thailand Marks End of Buddhist Lent

webfact

image.jpeg

The end of Buddhist Lent, Awk Phansa, will take place on Thursday, October 17th this year, and a nationwide sales ban on alcohol will be enforced for 24 hours.

Under the Alcohol Control Act, this ban applies to all establishments except duty-free shops in international airports. The official prohibition runs from midnight on Wednesday, October 16th, to midnight on Thursday, October 17th.

Violating this law can result in a fine of up to 10,000 baht, imprisonment for up to six months, or both.

The end of Buddhist Lent is one of the five major Buddhist holidays in Thailand, alongside Makha Bucha, Visakha Bucha, Asarnha Bucha, and Khao Pansa (the start of Buddhist Lent).

While many foreigners may only associate this day with the temporary closure of bars and a 24-hour alcohol sales ban, it holds deep significance for the Buddhist community.

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-14

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Are immigration offices closed that   day too??can't find anywhere on internet.. And the whole alcohol sales ban should eb reviewed for the tourism industry...

Neither immigration calendar nor Bank of Thailand show a closure for Oct 17.

10 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

And the whole alcohol sales ban should eb reviewed for the tourism industry...

As someone who enjoys a beer or six, of course I get what you say.  But TIT and I think I'd want to respect the local culture wherever I am, whether I like it or not.  At least users of this Forum know about the 17th and can "prepare"; either filling an empty fridge or flying somewhere without such restriction.  Tourists going to Thailand may not know about this though, and I feel worse for them.  Of course they should have known, but we all know that reality.

The police in Jomtien have handed out the attached to bars along Jomtien Beach Road. It seems to say that alcohol cannot be sold from 4 pm to midnight today, tomorrow and Wednesday ?

image.thumb.jpeg.96e5812e2ee629dcbe43c2ea249918eb.jpeg

or maybe it says they are carrying out inspections ?  Inspections of what ?

Edited by Tony M
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Tony M said:

or maybe it says they are carrying out inspections ?  Inspections of what ?

It says they're sending teams out for PR purposes to inform the bars that they're not allowed to sell alcohol on the 17th. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw

45 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It says they're sending teams out for PR purposes to inform the bars that they're not allowed to sell alcohol on the 17th. 

Thank you.  I wonder why they are doing that ?  Its sort of unusual, isn't it ?