Declining Democratic Voter Registration Could Spell Trouble for Harris in 2024

Social Media

image.png

Recent shifts in voter registration have raised concerns for Vice President Kamala Harris as the 2024 presidential election approaches. In three critical battleground states—Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Nevada—the Democratic voter registration advantage has notably diminished, signaling potential challenges for Harris. Experts attribute the decline to a lack of enthusiasm surrounding the Biden administration and the Democratic Party in general.

The situation is especially stark in Pennsylvania and North Carolina, where the number of registered Democrats has significantly decreased. Pennsylvania has seen its Democratic voter registration edge fall by nearly half from the 2020 election. “Democrats are down about 300,000 voters, and Republicans are up about 70,000," said Berwood Yost, director of the Center for Opinion Research at Franklin & Marshall College in Pennsylvania. Yost suggests that this decline is driven by widespread disenchantment with the current administration, adding, "People feel really negatively about the Biden presidency."

David Paleologos, director of the Political Research Center at Suffolk University, also noted the drastic shift in North Carolina, where the Democrats’ voter registration advantage has been slashed from a 393,000 lead in 2020 to only 130,000 in 2024. He pointed out that despite the initial advantage Democrats held in 2020, Donald Trump still carried the state. With an even smaller margin now, Paleologos believes Trump is well-positioned to widen his lead.

Particularly concerning for Harris is Arizona, another key battleground state. In 2020, President Biden narrowly won the state, but Republicans have since significantly increased their voter registration advantage. Constantin Querard, an Arizona-based Republican strategist, credits GOP officials for focusing on expanding their base. Since 2020, the Republican voter registration advantage in Arizona has doubled, growing from 130,000 to 259,000. Querard noted, "The Republican brand is doing better than the Democratic brand." This shift was reflected in a September poll showing Trump with a 6-point lead over Harris in the state.

However, it’s not all bad news for the Harris campaign. In Nevada, despite a shrinking Democratic registration advantage, Harris still leads Trump in polling averages. Experts like Jon Ralston, CEO of The Nevada Independent, caution that while Democrats have seen their voter edge decline, the rise in independent and unaffiliated voters may play a pivotal role in the outcome. Ralston described the shifting voter registration numbers in Nevada as “a concern for Dems,” but added that it remains a tight race.

Democratic strategists in Pennsylvania and North Carolina acknowledge the erosion of their voter registration advantage but argue that it may not fully reflect voting behavior. Many registered Democrats who have been voting for Republicans for years are only now switching their party affiliation. J.J. Balaban, a Democratic strategist, contends that the changes in registration "don’t indicate much about how voting in Pennsylvania will change in 2024."

Moreover, in North Carolina, Democratic strategist Morgan Jackson pointed out that younger voters, who are more likely to support Harris, are increasingly registering as unaffiliated. Jackson believes this shift is due to dissatisfaction with both major political parties, noting, “Both national party brands are in the crapper with voters.” He also emphasized that most unaffiliated voters tend to align with one party over the other, suggesting that Harris could still benefit from this group.

In conclusion, while the decline in Democratic voter registration in key battleground states raises red flags for Harris, the race is far from decided. Factors such as unaffiliated voters, changing voter affiliations, and shifts in local dynamics make it clear that both candidates face a tight and unpredictable contest as the 2024 election draws closer.

Based on a report from The Hill 2024-10-15

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Definitely worrisome no doubt about it I hope we aren’t saddled with that disaster again……..

Yeah... it is definitely worrisome that Harris still has a lead in some states. But it is confident the independents will be voting for Trump. I know personally The people would surely hate another 4 years with someone who followed Biden and did nothing as VP.  What a disaster it has been the last 4 years for sure. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Definitely worrisome no doubt about it I hope we aren’t saddled with that disaster again……..

Worrisome?  I think it is showing people have had enough of the last 4 years and don't want 4 more of the same or worse.  And it will be worse.  She is more of a Marxist/Communist  than Biden.  Plus much more stupid.  What did you like about the last 4 years?  Be the first to answer.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, thaipo7 said:

Worrisome?  I think it is showing people have had enough of the last 4 years and don't want 4 more of the same or worse.  And it will be worse.  She is more of a Marxist/Communist  than Biden.  Plus much more stupid.  What did you like about the last 4 years?  Be the first to answer.

and she verbally confirmed it !

on The View Harris Says 'Not a Thing Comes to Mind' That She'd Do Differently Than Biden 

before coming back to the question and adding that she plans to appoint a Republican to her Cabinet if she is elected in November.   who would that be ..  Liz Cheney ?      you can't fix stupid

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, thaipo7 said:

I’d be delighted thaipo gee were to start…..humm??perhaps we could start off with both the Dow ans s&p 500 breaking records 2ond day in a row btw…..humm…there’s infrastructure……drug prices……Covid vanquished…..excellent unemployment #s stellar property values…..heck lots of good stuff I can buy gas for less than 3$  a gallon in Tucson……I really don’t get were you come up with your hysterical Marxist / communist ideas im not seeing anything like that must be a magga fever dream.I do find it disturbing that we don’t seem to hear much about all the great things happening here,I find that suspicious to be perfectly honest with you.

4 minutes ago, Tug said:

I’d be delighted thaipo gee were to start…..humm??perhaps we could start off with both the Dow ans s&p 500 breaking records 2ond day in a row btw…..humm…there’s infrastructure……drug prices……Covid vanquished…..excellent unemployment #s stellar property values…..heck lots of good stuff I can buy gas for less than 3$  a gallon in Tucson……I really don’t get were you come up with your hysterical Marxist / communist ideas im not seeing anything like that must be a magga fever dream.I do find it disturbing that we don’t seem to hear much about all the great things happening here,I find that suspicious to be perfectly honest with you.

Yeah gas prices and stocks are definitely not artificially controlled before an election

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Luuk Chaai said:

and she verbally confirmed it !

on The View Harris Says 'Not a Thing Comes to Mind' That She'd Do Differently Than Biden 

before coming back to the question and adding that she plans to appoint a Republican to her Cabinet if she is elected in November.   who would that be ..  Liz Cheney ?      you can't fix stupid

Yea it would be the worst thing ever to work across the isle ehh?better to have a New York City trust fund baby that’s a convicted felon mismanaged a pandemic that killed more than a million Americans plays footsies with the worst criminals our planet has to offer cannot tell the truth and on and on and on …..I’d call that STUPID!

4 minutes ago, Tug said:

Probably because you only quote meaningless things good. a gallon of gas is 2.89 per gallon.. but a gallon of milk os 2.49.. haha.. a loaf of bread there is 3.47. One ride on the city bus is $2. School lunches are 3.47 now. All in Tucson mind you. Currently Covid in Tucson is 140,000 per week, far from vanquished. You should research online before making ridiculous statements. I found all that in a simple google search

6 minutes ago, Tug said:

Yea it would be the worst thing ever to work across the isle ehh?better to have a New York City trust fund baby that’s a convicted felon mismanaged a pandemic that killed more than a million Americans plays footsies with the worst criminals our planet has to offer cannot tell the truth and on and on and on …..I’d call that STUPID!

Am surprised at you Tug... Isn't it even more stupid to endorse someone like Harris who is proven as VP do be a dimwit.. Has proven in interviews to know nothing about politics or talking to politicians. Who has proven in many conventions to repeat the same words because she does not know what else to say. Isn't it even more stupid to base your choice just because you hate the other guy? When your choice is obviously done by feelings instead of what is good for the country. I am not saying to Vote Trump. There are other candidates in this election. But clearly, you are blinded to see Harris for what she really is. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Probably because you only quote meaningless things good. a gallon of gas is 2.89 per gallon.. but a gallon of milk os 2.49.. haha.. a loaf of bread there is 3.47. One ride on the city bus is $2. School lunches are 3.47 now. All in Tucson mind you. Currently Covid in Tucson is 140,000 per week, far from vanquished. You should research online before making ridiculous statements. I found all that in a simple google search

In the case of Covid are there refer trucks lined up row after row receiving the dead?what was the price of milk and bread in 2020?In our car culture here in the states were we have lousy public transportation and everything is farcical apart fuel prices are critical that’s something I watch every day as most folks do.

• Haha 1