New Guidelines Introduced for Safer School Trips

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Office of the Private Education Commission (OPEC) has introduced six critical guidelines for private schools across Thailand regarding student safety during off-campus trips.

The new measures come after a tragic bus fire on October 1, 2024, during a school field trip, which resulted in multiple fatalities. The guidelines align with the Ministry of Education’s policies to improve safety for students and teachers.

The guidelines include requirements for vehicle inspections, the presence of parents for younger students, limiting travel to nearby locations, providing travel insurance, conducting emergency drills, and securing official permission at least three days before a trip. Provincial private education offices have also been instructed to review trips and cancel any deemed unsafe.

The Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC) has also outlined 16 additional guidelines for public schools, which include ensuring vehicle safety, conducting emergency response drills, and using licensed transport providers with appropriate insurance coverage. These measures are expected to enhance overall safety for students during school trips.

The Ministry of Education has formed a working group to develop further safety measures following the bus fire incident. The group is focused on creating comprehensive safety protocols for school activities and trips, drawing from international best practices to protect students and those accompanying them on each field trip. 

by Krajangwit Johjit

Source: NNT 

-- 2024-10-15

news-footer-3.png

image.png

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Office of the Private Education Commission (OPEC) has introduced six critical guidelines for private schools across Thailand regarding student safety during off-campus trips.

The new measures come after a tragic bus fire on October 1, 2024, during a school field trip, which resulted in multiple fatalities. The guidelines align with the Ministry of Education’s policies to improve safety for students and teachers.

The guidelines include requirements for vehicle inspections, the presence of parents for younger students, limiting travel to nearby locations, providing travel insurance, conducting emergency drills, and securing official permission at least three days before a trip. Provincial private education offices have also been instructed to review trips and cancel any deemed unsafe.

The Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC) has also outlined 16 additional guidelines for public schools, which include ensuring vehicle safety, conducting emergency response drills, and using licensed transport providers with appropriate insurance coverage. These measures are expected to enhance overall safety for students during school trips.

The Ministry of Education has formed a working group to develop further safety measures following the bus fire incident. The group is focused on creating comprehensive safety protocols for school activities and trips, drawing from international best practices to protect students and those accompanying them on each field trip. 

by Krajangwit Johjit

Source: NNT 

-- 2024-10-15

news-footer-3.png

image.png

What are the Guidelines does not say ??  Who is responsible for the compliance to the guidelines ??? Guidelines Are Not mandatory 

47 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Its All for show, no enforcement. Why is there no Road safety taught at schools,

"Why is there no Road safety taught at schools" ...

it’s assumed to be common sense, but safety, consideration, and caution aren’t things thai culture typically emphasizes ... :sad:

28 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

"Why is there no Road safety taught at schools" ...

it’s assumed to be common sense, but safety, consideration, and caution aren’t things thai culture typically emphasizes ... :sad:

Well i Think your Assumption is Totally wrong by the number of deaths on the roads  or are you saying Thais don't have common sense. You are right in this Statement Quote "caution aren’t things thai culture typically emphasizes" which Thai culture needs to change If it does not the road deaths will continue 

Please don't bold my post it is against the forum rules

Edited by MikeandDow

4 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Well i Think your Assumption is Totally wrong by the number of deaths on the roads  or are you saying Thais don't have common sense. You are right in this Statement Quote "caution aren’t things thai culture typically emphasizes" which Thai culture needs to change If it does not the road deaths will continue 

Problem is the attitude of Buddhist being fatalistic in that what will happen will happen because of a former life or whatever and so they accept anything at any time whether it be dangerous or not, that whatever happens is their destiny and they can't alter it at all.

1 hour ago, MikeandDow said:

Its All for show, no enforcement. Why is there no Road safety taught at schools,

100% agree....    There are key life skills that can be taught in schools 

1) Water Safety

2) Road Safety 

3) Elecrtical Safety

4) Basic First Aid

1 - Drowning is the leading cause of deaths in Thailand of children under 15  years old.

- there may not be the facilities or funding to teach all children to swim - neverthess 'dry side skills and knowledge' can be taught, highliing the risks of even a small upcountry pond.

2 - This one is obvious - from crossing the road, to not using phones while riding etc, driving safely - basic standards can be taught in schools, importance of wearing of helmets, seatbelts etc (as far as I'm aware, it is only the USA that has drivers Ed in schools).

3 - This one slips through the gaps in these discussions, however the awareness of electrical safety in Thailand is very poor - teach kids the invisible risks.

4 - There is no reason why basic first aid, CPR etc cannot be used in schools.

---------

In summary, every child in Thailand will grow up and to some extent become exposed to the above hazards - in contrast trigonometry, pythagorus or covalent bonding may not matter to the majority ever in their lives - thats not to say these things don't matter - but life skills are as important, yet get overlooked for the 'transitional education subjects'... 

The problems are not solved this way.. They should be enforced a good inspection that is not corrupt, a good working LTD department that knows how ancient some busses are and they should be forbidden to drive anymore, although they look almost new... and many more. That will do the job... Anyway there is much more for student safety to as overloaded vans, crazy busdrivers, and open cars etc.... Make Thailand safer is nice to say but impossible to do

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MikeandDow said:

What are the Guidelines does not say ??  Who is responsible for the compliance to the guidelines ??? Guidelines Are Not mandatory 

Agreed... 

- If the guidelines hold the owners of the bus companies responsible and authorities are proven to act on this - this will force the shift.

Until then, the blame always on the driver who runs... 

And... what of the officials taking bribes for 'inspecting and clearing' clearly dangerous vehicles ?

3 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Problem is the attitude of Buddhist being fatalistic in that what will happen will happen because of a former life or whatever and so they accept anything at any time whether it be dangerous or not, that whatever happens is their destiny and they can't alter it at all.

Well that is all in good  all i am saying is road safety should be taught at schools if they want a go commit suicide all well and good and keep the Buddhist faith  but i would lay odds that it would save lives

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

painfully  petty.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
just painfully petty

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% agree....    There are key life skills that can be taught in schools 

1) Water Safety

2) Road Safety 

3) Elecrtical Safety

4) Basic First Aid

1 - Drowning is the leading cause of deaths in Thailand of children under 15  years old.

- there may not be the facilities or funding to teach all children to swim - neverthess 'dry side skills and knowledge' can be taught, highliing the risks of even a small upcountry pond.

2 - This one is obvious - from crossing the road, to not using phones while riding etc, driving safely - basic standards can be taught in schools, importance of wearing of helmets, seatbelts etc (as far as I'm aware, it is only the USA that has drivers Ed in schools).

3 - This one slips through the gaps in these discussions, however the awareness of electrical safety in Thailand is very poor - teach kids the invisible risks.

4 - There is no reason why basic first aid, CPR etc cannot be used in schools.

---------

In summary, every child in Thailand will grow up and to some extent become exposed to the above hazards - in contrast trigonometry, pythagorus or covalent bonding may not matter to the majority ever in their lives - thats not to say these things don't matter - but life skills are as important, yet get overlooked for the 'transitional education subjects'... 

Wow did not think i would say this good post and 100% spot on

1 hour ago, mdr224 said:

The land of kneejerk reactions and no preventative measures

So very sadly true... 

... Just look at all the knee-jerk reactions after the Dr was killed on the pedestrian crossing.

A few were painted red, lots of announcements and photo opportunities for the offiicals and politicians... 

I've not noticed very little if any improvement at crossings...  perhaps a slight improvement of more people having a greater understanding of what they are for  so people 'may' yield if forced to, but so many who blow through at speed without a care.

3 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Well that is all in good  all i am saying is road safety should be taught at schools if they want a go commit suicide all well and good and keep the Buddhist faith  but i would lay odds that it would save lives

It can certainly do no harm !!   and I agree... IF basic safety (road safety, water safety, electrical safety, First Aid) were taught at schools.... 

With absolutely certainty lives would be saved...   Even if it meant the decision to wear a seatbelt or a helmet, there alone 1000's of lives would be saved each year.

The schools have to take a lot of the blame for this !!  I believe most schools have a occupational and heath office That job included Safety,  There should be a tender process for bus hire the school has the commitment to do its due diligence and check all documentation in regard to busses, it should have included bus certification driver certification safety records maintenance records ect   and prior to boarding the school should have done a Risk management assessment